The Draw Was Rigged

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dsnipes1, Dec 9, 2013.

1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's inevitable. But FIFA was really stupid. If they had just shown the balls being opened instead of having it done where the camera couldn't see, no one would be saying anything.

Because of the way the draw was conducted, it's impossible to say for sure whether it was rigger or not.

2. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would worry much more about the referees than the draw.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and I worry much more about the referees than the draw.

Marko72 and tbonepat11 repped this.
  3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why accept that FIFA is crooked without evidence, but draw the line at their ability to rig the draw? Determining who gets to host the world cup is a MUCH bigger factor than deciding who gets to play who. Rigging/influencing the latter would be relatively simple compared to the former.

There's no reason to assume corrupt individual actors within an organization would do what is financially best for the organization itself. In fact, that's usually not the case (look at Wall Street or US Congress). More likely, people in positions of power within an organization privately sell access to that power to enrich themselves personally. For this reason, it may not always be clear to outside observers who something like a rigged draw is supposed to benefit.

Also, I see no reason why the existence of the WC draw/ceremony should preclude the idea that it has been rigged. Highly publicized events/rituals tend to be part and parcel of maintaining the ruse, in the circumstance that there is one. The purpose of the highly televised draw is establishing the pretense of fairness. Actual fairness could be achieved much more cheaply and reliably.

TabLalas and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  4. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    If you fail at rigging the draw. Next up is hacking the goal line camera and missing an obvious goal crossing the line!

I think it says something about your organization when people assume corruption.

5. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA being able to manipulate a World Cup draw? Impossible, I don't think anyone has any historical basis for thinking that anything FIFA does is not honest and legitimate. This isn't like they are awarding where the Cup is being held. Surely no country would pay money to get a better placement! Wild, made up stuff!!!

But to be serious, I remember in previous World Cup draws there was someone that would appear to assist keeping the ball/hands in plain view. I am surprised the way the balls with the team slips were handled this time.

6. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    BUMP!

i was readin' the ESPN article on the '94 World Cup draw and both Tony Meola and Cobi Jones had an interesting choice of words when describing the draw. they said the USA was not "meant" to be drawn with Colombia, and Alan Rothenberg was upset about it...

Cobi Jones (midfielder): There was some kind of mistake with the draw. We were not meant to be in Colombia’s group. [United States Soccer Federation president] Alan Rothenberg, who had organized the event, was incensed backstage, storming around and letting people know that something had gone very badly wrong. It certainly appeared to be a very tough draw.

Meola: Pele had picked Colombia as his team to win it all. They were definitely meant to go to the semifinals. But Bora’s world travel master plan had meant we had already played Colombia a bunch of times. We were not meant to be drawn against them but because we were so familiar with their play we were actually calmer than you would think.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1733198/destiny-approaches?cc=5901

could be nothing, but to me it seems that the players take it for granted that the draw isn't random...

7. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    It has been de-rigged and re-rigged! Or something.

What's new? Have a look at that '86 draw or w/e. Pretty entertaining stuff.

8. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Alexi Lalas said on the day of the draw it is not random.

It is rigged to get the best tournament.

Would people be happy that Spain, Argentina, Germany, Netherlands were drawn into the same group?

9. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY
    If we're talking about a non-random process whereby many of the world's best national teams are systematically separated from playing each other in the first round of the tournament, then yes, the draw is rigged by the seeding process. That is what prevented Spain, Argentina, and Germany from being drawn into the same group. Netherlands is actually in the same group as Spain. We can debate whether or not that is appropriate, but presumably that's both teams' bad luck.

10. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Some people would be happy... but the knock out stages would probably pit a powerhouse vs. a lowly soccer nation. It would make for some lopsided knock out stages.