The Did you know thread. Uselss, but fascinating trivia, facts and stories

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Excape Goat, Oct 17, 2007.

1. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    SPFC made a huge mistake and Benfica was perfect for him.

The other was Santos either made an offer or were gonna make an offer for Maradona.

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The French captain at France's first ever World Cup match became a Nazi collaborator during the War. He was executed in 1946. Alex Villaplane was also the first player of North African origin to represent France.

Julius Hirsch was the first Jewish to represent Germany in football. He was a war hero during the First World Cup, but he died in Auschwitz.

Armando Frigo was known as the second American-born player to have played in Serie A. He was killed in Croatia during the War.

RoyOfTheRovers, ChaChaFut and msioux75 repped this.
  3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Buyo, RoyOfTheRovers and locoxriver repped this.
  4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
  5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The baby who inspired the famous Bebeto goal celebration is now a professional player. His name is Mattheus de Andrade Gama de Oliveira. He was named after Lothar Matthaus! I found that Mattheus part is the most interesting part of the story.

The name of Jose Mourinho's dog is Gullit.

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jorginho's real name: Jorge de Amorim Campos. So at Copa merica 1995, there were three Jorge Campos. Jorge Luis Campos played for Paraguay and then, the Mexican keeper.

ChaChaFut and RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  7. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    30s Schalke stars Ernst Kuzorra and Fritz Szepan were brothers-in-law

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  8. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    On 29 January 1961, Inter Milano beat CC Catania by 5 goals to 0.

But only one of the goals were scored by an Inter player (1-0), the remaining four goals were all own goals.

Inter:
    1 Buffon
    2 Picchi
    3 Gatti
    4 Bolchi
    5 Guarneri
    6 Balleri
    7 Bicicli
    8 Lindskog
    9 Firmani
    10 Corso
    11 Morbello

Catania:
    1 Gaspari
    2 Michelotti
    3 Giavara
    4 Corti
    5 Grani
    6 Ferretti
    7 Castellazzi
    8 Prenna
    9 Calvanese
    10 Biagini
    11 Morelli

Scorers:
    1-0 Morbello (13.)
    2-0 Giavara (30., own goal)
    3-0 Giavara (42., own goal)
    4-0 Grani (69., own goal)
    5-0 Corti (81., own goal)

ChaChaFut, frasermc, locoxriver and 3 others repped this.
  9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://espnfc.com/columns/story/_/id/1439478/ask-norman-relegated-european-champions?cc=4716

Just read the above article on relegated European Champions... Jose Bosingwa was just relegated with QPR a year after winning the CL with Chelsea.... other players to do this were Fabrizio Ravanelli from Juve-Middlesborough, and Roque Junior won the WC with Brazil in 2002, the CL with AC Miland in 2003, and then was on the Leeds team that went down in 2004.

That's just EPL players though... does anyone know of any other players from other leagues around the world to receive such a fate?

10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Which book/publication has those Serie A line-ups from 1960-61 onwards?

11. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    All lineups and much more information can be found in the vintage "Almanacco Illustrato del Calcio" series which I think started in the 1930s already. I have every edition from 1962 to 1984. "1962" deals with 1960-61 and so on.

Other than that, I am not aware of a single publication which has Serie A lineups. The vintage "Calciatore Panini" series didn't have lineups, only squad info. There was a re-release by Panini in 2004 and I got two of those series (1962-63 and 1967-68) both without lineups.

They have re-released it again last year and from 1984-85 definitely it also includes lineups of each Serie A game. But I am not sure whether they added lineups to the 1960s and 1970s editions.

I am in the process of uploading the lineups from "Almanacco Illustrato del Calcio" on my website, starting with 1960-61, the first 12 weeks are already uploaded.

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes I know those almanacco series but esp. the older ones are quite expensive (more than 50 euros per yearbook, esp. if they are rare). How is it possible to get those complete? Did someone on ebay offer the complete package?

13. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I bought them piece-by-piece which was quite expensive but when I'm finished I will sell them again.

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Simen Agdestein, a Norwegian Chess Grandmaster, was also capped by Norway while being a professional chess player at the same time.

Matt Busby offered Sean Connery a 25 pound per week contract after watching him in a game. "I realised that a top-class footballer could be over the hill by the age of 30, and I was already 23. I decided to become an actor and it turned out to be one of my more intelligent moves," he said.

15. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Connery would've made the No.007 shirt a legend at Old Trafford.... ;)]

16. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[IDK about the goat; but he "raped" many a full-back during his career... ;)]

Excape Goat repped this.
  17. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    During the 1978 WC, as part of the conditions of hosting, Argentina was never given any substance-abuse exams. There has been many reports by former members of the squad witnessing players like Mario Kempes and Tarantini drugging themselves with Mary Jane during practices.

18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL. Every other post you make contains some sort of anti-argentine crap. Your wife got banged by an Argentino, didn't she? :thumbsup:

19. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Actually there is someone at ebay.it who offers every Almanacco from 1941 to 2009.

A cheaper possibility are the reprints issued in 2005. From 1985 to 2004 I got all of these reprints instead of the originals. The earliest reprint I have seen is the one from 1971. Probably no reprints for earlier editions. These reprints however, while they do bear the same name, are actually not 1:1 reprints. They "only" have the lineups of each season, nothing more (but still well done, with newspaper covers for each matchday). The original Almanacci of course also have lineups of each Coppa Italia game, all international games, squad info plus pictures of each team and a lot more information.

The reprints are of course much cheaper than the originals:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Almanacco-il...pt=Collezionismo_Sportivo&hash=item1c32825622

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken Chelsea have now become the first club ever to be both the Champions League, and Europa League/UEFA Cup champion at the same time, although the former title will be handed over next week to a German club, they are technically still the champions league champions until then. I know Porto won back-to-back UEFA/Champions League cups in 2003 & 2004, but I think CSKA had already taken the UEFA title from them before the CL that year....

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For the international tournaments and italian NT matches they made separate reprints around the same time it seems, with a similar layout and cover.

What kind of 'more information' does the original almannacco has? Does it also provide narratives and stories (apart from detailed coverage of NT games)? Some detailed statistics?

What is the purpose of switching over to the cheaper editions at 1985?

22. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I will have a look at the content when I'm back home later this day.

I got those in a bargain. Sold by a woman who did not value these books and gave them away cheaply. Generally, my advise is always to look for female sellers when it comes to football books as they usually just want to get rid of them and are grateful when they find a buyer. :D

comme repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    How do you know the gender of a (ebay) seller beforehand? Or was it another channel?

24. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Um...they haven't been European champions since they flunked out in the group stage.

That is just BS statistics to bump up an image, something the British are extremely famous for.

You can't be the champions of something you don't have anymore because you can no longer defend it. The title has merely been vacant, waiting for someone to take it.

So no: they haven't, technically, been the UEFA Champions League holders since their first round crashout. Great job at bouncing back after the Club World Cup, though. But let's not bullshit anyone either.

When you leave/is left by a woman, she is no longer your woman, for as much as you would like.

25. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Ebay.

Well, yeah, right. Actually it doesn't work that way, that's right.

Let me put it differently.

My golden rule: always go for the cheapest offer available. :geek:

After the transaction is done, you will find out in most cases that a woman sold the item. :D