The Definitive Luis Figo Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by jec1, Sep 11, 2004.

1. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  2. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    designated player for Toronto...make it so

3. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    x2
    But with MoJo in charge I highly doubt it.

4. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    F' that. Earthquakes all the way

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    NE Revs !!!

6. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ftw.

7. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  8. Peixinho

Peixinho New Member

Jun 17, 2008
    boston
    mass/rhodeisland has the biggest portuguese community in the states, he better come to the revs. ive been dying for a reason to like that team!!!

9. ThespecialoneJM

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    San Jose also has a big portuguese community with the quakes also opening a stadium in 2010 I believe...Figo would be an excellent addition.

10. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    word. besides, the weather (and pretty much everything else) is perfect here.

11. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
  13. ThespecialoneJM

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Figo was named the ambassador for Portugal and Spains world cup bid in 2018.

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I miss Figo and his leadership. One of me heroes, he got it done when it mattered.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No he didn't ..lol

16. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    You are kidding right ?

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When did he come up big for International games? He did it ONCE against England back in 2002. He didn't play particularly well in Euro 04, he was solid. In 06 he actually missed a GLORIOUS chance to tie the game in the Semi - Finals against France, open header, besides that he left much to be desired.

Although I will never question his heart, because he did play hard all the time, don't glorify him for something that he hasn't done on a consistent basis. Figo often went missing in games in our past 2 tournaments.

And on the pitch Leadership I never saw, perhaps he did something behind the scenes, in the lockerroom, to motivate and gather the troops. But I saw more vocal leaders from Maniche, Costinha and Petit then Figo.

18. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Figo was an amazing player for us. The position that he played, you can not quantify by number of goals he scored. The man controlled our midfield. So much more is done aside from the front of the net. If we are going to point at Portugal players that have missed scoring opportunities, we are going to have a large list because all have missed chances. Figo was pure skill on the field.

Figo was not a leader ? Bud please. The man lead by example and hard work. I can't believe we are even having the conversation.

19. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He left much to be desired???

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I never said he wasn't an amazing player, my point was that he did not come up "BIG" in the most important games, as someone has stated. If Figo come up big then what Ronaldo has been doing need to be classified as "Huge", which is simply not the case.

And I know we don't judge Figo on the basis of just goals, especially when he provided came more in the midfield, but that was also addressed, he has gone missing for very large parts of 06 tournament. In 04 he was better, most notably against Netherlands and another team which escapes me...

Oh, and we really have no evidence of him leading by example. The workhorses on that Euro team were Miguel, Carvalho, Maniche, and Andrade then...

Is this leading up example in 06?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mENdCYmY7uE"]YouTube - Top 10 Dives on 2006 World Cup[/ame]

21. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    The man played 127 games for Portugal and scored 32 goals in a midfield position and you want to argue his contribution to our NT. Are you serious ? He did not lead by example ? Then you post a video of him diving as an attempt to show that he somehow did not set a good example or did not lead well ? Bud you name me one Portuguese superstar that has not embellished something in his career. Come on man. No evidence of him leading by example ? In 2006 the man was already 34 years old. Of course there were some things that he could no longer do that he could when he was younger. That does not take away from all the other years he played for us.

Im sorry Joelzinho, but it drives me nuts that a player like Figo does all he did for his country and people still try to minimize his contribution or even take shots at his character like you just did by using that video.

22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

See this is where my intial point is taken completly out of context.

Here was my answer...

My answer:
    I am NOT questioning his desire, his ability, or his general contributions to the National team(Because I could do the stats thing with Pauleta and Nuno Gomes and Rui Costa etc..etc..etc..).

I am stating that for the most part, when it was really important, he did not come through. He dropped the ball. At least from the time I was able to watch him on the NT(Since 2002). The only time I saw him rise to the occasions and grab the games by the balls was WC 2002. Period. There was no other instance.

In terms of Leadership, I am also questionning that. You tell me he is supposed to lead by example, so how come he dives to the floor to fake injuries(WC06)(I for one thank god he did it, but its not a situation one should look up too). Or in 2004, he was subbed out early against England to make room for Postiga, he was shaking his head and muttering to himself right up to the touchline.

Thesubstitution was clearly warranted. He made a disappearing act and had a pretty unmemorable game besides his one low shot on net, he was also tired and looking rather sluggish. But no, hes an untouchable. He heads right past Postiga, to the locker room, abondining his team, Scolari, and Portugal because he wants to sulk, and cry. He already basically decided right there in his mind that Portugal had conceded defeat. Great message to show to his teammaters and fans.

Postiga ended up scoring and where was he? In the locker room. But this is a great example of Leadership.

This is my point.

23. ThespecialoneJM

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL or maybe your just getting bitter that your crush Ronaldo isn't as liked as Figo. :D

Also without Figo we do not make it as far as we did...Guarenteed. He was the heart and soul of that team in WC 06. For his age, he played great in his swan song.

Also in the video Figo is definantely elbowed...I've seen that video a thousand times and everytime he's hit. Does it require the rolling around? No. But then explain to me how he had a bruise by his eye after the game?

24. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides Zidane and maybe Ronaldiho, Figo was the best soccer player for my time (im 22). He was nasty. Figo may not have been the most vocal on the field, but how could someone not look at him as a leader.

25. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    when figo was 24 he was on his first season in barcelona

who knows what the future will bring, but if cristiano ronaldo continues to have a successful career like hes had so far I think its safe to say hell end up as the best portuguese ever. but yeah he needs to really win a international trophy for Portugal and for a year or so hes been sloppy for us.

If the golden ball had the old rules when only europeans could win it, cr would have 3 in a row now like johan cruyff and michel platini.