The Definitive Luis Figo Thread [R]

Tema en 'Portugal' iniciado por jec1, 11 Sep 2004.

1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    2 Nov 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    figo is the king he was pure class and his play making skills made other players on the team peform better.

watch ronaldo tomorrow vs finland, how many times he dribbles and loses the ball, takes stupid shots and does F*ck all. Ronaldo needs a team to support him to help him look good wheras Figo supported the team.

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

23 May 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Figo didn't win anything for the Seleccao. Ronaldo has already accomplished more for the Seleccao then Figo did during the same age bracket. We need to give Ronaldo time...

3. PPereiraSANSA

PPereiraSANSA New Member

16 Ene 2009
    Providence
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    and some Finnish girls named Olga and Svetlana with huge juggsafter the game loldon't want our star player to have a pulled muscle hahaha :D

4. geeko79

geeko79 Member

18 Mar 2005
    Toronto
    What exactly did CRon win for the NT?
    What more has he accomplisehd for the NT than Figo?

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

23 May 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You just made my point.

6. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    2 Nov 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ronaldo doesnt make the team better in the same way figo did in his prime. Ronaldo doesnt have the vision or the passing skills figo had. also Figo in his prime was a better dribbler then ronaldo is now who is relying too much on speed and not enough on finesse.

ronaldo too selfish, his performance against brazil in the last friendly was shameful he used to score often for the national team and he only scored 1 goal in 2008 for Portugal. his performance isnt what it used to be, he tries to do everything by himself.

its like what santos6 has said before, ronaldo is a luxury player. the team needs to support him to get the best out of him, on our currently average NT which is lacking in at least 4 crucial positions (GK, LB, ST and DM) and I would also say Pepe and Bosinwga to add into the mix because they are prone to horrific defending errors) he wont be able to shine.

I hope he puts it behind him and plays good vs finland and most importantly vs sweden.

Ronaldo is my faviourte player but i have to criticise him atm.

7. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

13 May 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Uh, wasnt your point that Ronaldo has already accomplished more on the NT in the same time bracket as figo? If so he didnt prove your point.

8. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

16 Nov 2005
    I know we are all nostalgic at times, and what not, but damn, come now. The effect Figo had at Barcelona, as CAPTAIN, wasn't as great as Ronaldo's contribution to Man U last year. And for that lack of vision and passing ability, he sure as hell makes up for in aerial and striking ability. By far. Not too mention he'd leave Figo in his dust.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

2 Jun 2005
    They do have one similarity in their carreers, it dipped, when they got involved ( one way or another ) with Real Madrid .

10. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

7 Feb 2007
    thats not true, ronaldo's career hasnt dipped at all until the euro and his injury. He was linked with Madrid (most heavily) after the WC and the "fall out" with Rooney and that season was pretty much when he became the best player in the world. :)

And Figo won his only CL, Ballon D'or and FWPOTY in Madrid :)

11. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    2 Nov 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    figo's ballon dor was for his barcelona season and euro 2000 performance, then he switched to real madrid.

fifa POTY yes came the following year when he was totally a real madrid player.

figo's first couple seasons were great at RM, after he dropped off leading up to euro 2004 but the whole team wasnt functioning by that point.

figo did the right thing to leave to Inter and he rejuvenated his career and had a great world cup 2006 performance.

ronaldo isnt as impressive as last season, but still putting up solid numbers something like 15 goals and 12 assists . and i been watching every man united and refs have robbed him of at least 2 goals with bad offside goals (goals vs chelsea and last game vs derby) and hes bene called (wrongly) offside another 4-5 times when he was going to have a break way 1 on 1 with the keeper as well.

12. santos6

santos6 New Member

25 Feb 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I thought we have covered this somewhere before.
    Ronaldo minus passing and awareness is better at everything else compared to Figo. Techincally wth the ball there is nothing Figo could do better than Ronaldo. Other than passing, and that is because Ronaldo is not as intelligent not because he has less ability.

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

2 Jun 2005
  14. ThespecialoneJM

13 May 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Seriously, he was my favorite player of all-time. Guy bleed for every shirt that he put on and most importantly he was the mastermind behind the Portuguese national team. He was a leader and I feel what really held him back from being called one of the best ever is because of the failure of the National team to win anything. If they had won Euro 04, He would be recognized as one of the top 10 players of all-time in my opinion. Granted, he is still one of the best players of all-time but the lack of success with Portugal is what held him back. Guy was a warrior and I loved his passion for the game. He said he's retired, but left the door open for the MLS to give him an offer....The selfish side of me hopes the MLS does offer him a deal because I want to continue to see him play and hopefully see him play live...but the other side of me hopes he stays retired so he isnt known as one of the players that held on too long. :(

15. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

16 Nov 2005
    Not exactly. Figo's passion was only seen for the national team. Anytime he played club-wise, he was doing it on a purely professional basis, but he was undoubtedly one of the most professional players. Emotions did not get in his way, thus why he moved to Madrid...

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

2 Jun 2005
    Can't say I agree with you. Just because he traded Barcelona for Real Madrid doesn't go against what TSJM posted about passion for the club he represented.
    He didn't become Barcelona's captain for no reason.

17. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

16 Nov 2005
    Right. He became the captain because he was the best player, best professional, best leader on the team. He didn't abandon Barcelona and all the fans that loved him so dearly because he loved representing Barcelona. He found another calling in his career, a better calling, and took it. Thats what a professional does, and thats why those type of players, including Simao, do well nearly everywhere they go. Because they know what they have to do, and don't allow emotions to unsettle them.

18. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    2 Nov 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    hes a legend, simple as that.

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

23 May 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Respect where respect is due.

Legend

[​IMG]

20. ThespecialoneJM

13 May 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I find it ridiculous how the media hasnt really talked about his retirement....shocking :rolleyes:

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    27 Ago 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, A Legend! One of my favorites players EVER!!

[​IMG]

Figo, Obrigado para todo seu trabahlo duro e sacrificio.

22. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    27 Ago 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Great Video Tribute

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=305zhgEpU6k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=305zhgEpU6k[/ame]

Credit To Aveirenses

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

8 Ago 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    great point. just goes to show you how the media just loves to hate on portugal. Maybe its cuz we're the best looking people on the planet:p but seriously...

24. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    2 Nov 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Figo should be given one last game for the National team in a friendly

I know he had his last game in the 3rd place of the world cup game vs germany

but id like to see him play in Alvalade for the NT in a friendly with a team like Spain or Italy (since he played football in those countries).

that would be great

problem is, we cant do it cuz our NT is in shambles atm and figo doesnt deserve to have a farewell game on the back of a 3 oir 4-0 loss to italy or spain. :mad:

Compartir esta página