The Defense

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Daei_10, Apr 11, 2012.

1. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think they will spend big money on second rate CB's. They will either make a move for the top 1-3 and if they can't sign them they will settle for a good one with potential on the cheap.

Nesta would be a great pick up for experience and to mentor our defenders. Ranocchia (for cheap) could get back to where he was with Bari (w/ Bonucci and Conte). I think he would be a great gamble.

For the LB, I never liked PDC. BUT I will admit he has improved a lot. I would consider Boukary Dramé like I have said before.

2. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is on loan,we must spend 8-10 mil. to buy him.

3. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True, I included him thinking it was a given (unless something horrible happens to his health or form the final 7 games) that he'd be purchased outright.

4. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Falc is absolutely right. The defense actually starts with Vidal and Marchisio, as they are the first line of defense. The reason why we have so few shots against are because teams find it hard to get past these two players, and by the time they do, they're confronted with defenders.

The main reason why Elia doesn't play is because he doesn't track back. We all know that by now. If Messi were on this team, and he didn't track back, he'd be getting blisters on his ass from the sitting on the bench. However, he is being groomed to do just that. He is being taught to track back and go forward. He is Conte's project. If he can get Elia to do that, Elia will be a more complete player, a more dangerous player, and the player Conte sees him as. I hope it works out right for him because if it does, we could have one of the best players on the left side in Italy.

Conte preaches from the bible of the old school: Everyone defend, and defend well. When they let their guard down from trying to attack, we hit them and hit them hard. If we score, we now hold the advantage, and they've got to change their game while we play ours.

Our defense is so good because we've got 10 men ready and willing to defend. Even Quagliarella last game was back on defense. When was the last time you saw Ibra or Di Natale or Cavani do that? Conte's not revolutionizing the game. He's just taking it from a different perspective. When all the gears are in the correct motion, the whole machine works. I guarantee you that Conte would rather draw 0-0 than take a risk that would put his team down 1-0. Defense first. Defense always. When we attack, if you fail, you better be prepared to get your ass back to defend. It's why he adores guys like Giaccherini and Pepe. They can move the ball forward, but they also get back quickly to play defense. Krasic could never do that. When he tried, he failed. Krasic is a dynamic player who would rip the Premier League apart, but on Conte's team, he just isn't a match. If we bring in a striker, it won't be someone who wants to do their own thing. You get your ass back to defend, or you'll be riding the pine. I don't care how much you were bought for, or how much you make. This is a team. Conte would rather draw with the players who listen and follow the model, than lose with the players who don't. Look at Vucinic. We all know that he's not what he's cracked up to be. However, he listens and does what he's told. That's what Conte wants. He'll play you in every game, no matter how much you might stink, as long as you do what he tells you to do. You do that, and you'll get chances to break out of whatever funk you're in. If Amauri followed Conte's system to the letter, he'd be playing all the time. Just like Borriello.

At the end of the day, Marotta is going to go out and find the best possible talent for this team at all positions, and a lot of input will come from Conte. It will be Conte's job to mold the players that are bought into the system. I doubt we'll make big splashes, but we will get the players who both want to be here and nowhere else, and will play the way that Conte wants them to play. Otherwise, you'll ride the pine and you'll be sold. No one is bigger than the team, and no one is better than the system.

5. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Cavani actually is a really hard worker. Perfect striker for our system.

6. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so what do u guys think about our defense in CL next year? against teams like bayern, real, barca, man u, man city and others?

7. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With the addition of another LB and CB, I think we'll be one of the best defendses in Europe. Sure, against the better, more attacking teams we'll probably concede more but we concede very few as is now.

Excited about our defense!!! It's my favorite aspect of the game.

8. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Bayern this year rode an incredible home record and stifling defense to the Champions League Final. There's no saying that we couldn't do the same.

9. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats my worry is that serie A is absolute crap now days, so im not sure really how good our defense is cuz we dont really get tested that much. We pretty much control all the games and other teams dont get many chances.

we sure are weak on corners and set pieces though

10. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    That's a sign of a stifling defense. When the opposition hardly gets any chances. Although Serie A isn't as strong as it once was, they don't ask you who you beat. They just ask if you won. In the end, that's all that matters. Does it matter that Real and Barca fattened up on the cupcakes in La Liga? Does it matter that the Premier League has Man U, Man City, and 18 also rans?

11. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but we've seen those teams in CL we know what they can do. Our team on other hand, i have no idea how they are with a non-italian team.

I think our defense will be ok but not sure how solid it'll be. All it takes is few bad games and screw ups and we're back to where we were before...incofident and wanting to kill off chiellini, bonucci and de celige. lol

12. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's not that different in the CL. I mean, sure, we may concede more but don't expect night and day. For instance, Milan have conceded 27 goalds in 34 games this year (or .8 goals per game). In the CL, they've conceded 12 in 10 matches (or 1.2 goals per game). But, three of those matches were against Barcelona in which Barca scored 8 goals. Theyre was also that one leg against Arsenal when they just needed to coast to the next round, and in doing so, Milan conceded 3 goals. So, all in all, when consider all of these factors, Milan conceded a little more than they do in Serie A so expect something similar for us. I still expect our defense to be one of the better defenses in the tournament.

13. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    How did Napoli do in Champions League? Went pretty far considering they were in the Group of Death. If they actually play defense against Chelski, maybe they get past Benfica and take on Barca. Who knows? However, we're better than they are, and have proven it. We can hang with Europe's best.

14. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i see what you guys are saying

thanks for making me feel better :D

15. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think its a good time to bring this thread back up....the euro final was a disaster for our defenders. I know chiellini was injured and the game was over after motta went out but still....the first 2 goals were horrendous defending. First off, how can u let cesc get in the box like that and then pass it back for a header by a midget??
    Then the 2nd goal even more horrendous...u can see jordi alba running from a mile away and i think it was barzagli and bonucci just watching him.

so it brings me to this point....imagine facing barca in CL...this is pretty much what u have to deal with...we need to buy ogbonna....how come we're not chasing him?? is he staying in torino now that they're back in serie A?

16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Chiellini should not have played as he was not fit at all. Usually, he would be on the ground with a slide tackle on that play. Not only was he a step slow but he was not his usual aggressive self. Sure sign that he was not fit.

The second goal goes to Barzagli. He just did not have that extra bounce needed to run down the play. It was as he just quit.

I put it on injury and fatigue. For most of the tournament, our defenders played well (Chiellini screwed up on the goal against Croatia). Bonucci had a real good tournament.

Supposedly Lucio is on his way. Not sure what to make of that. We should carry 5 center backs, the fifth should be a youngster.

17. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I thought everyone said that Caceres was a center back?

18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not me.

19. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF lucio????

what a joke...i dont want an inter reject on his last days...we need new blood....why did we get rid of sorensen?? i really think we should snatch up ogbonna before milan or inter do

he's not the best option but he can play...he did play for us a couple of games i believe, he was ok

20. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be a bit harsh to judge Caceres on the 2 games he played CB with Vidal. I think he will be fine as a CB in the 3-5-2, and would get the job done in a flat back 4. Especially with a full pre-season with Conte. I would like to have Sorensen back as well, but it looks as though we dropped him unfortunantly.

With regards to Ogbonna, I would love to sign him, however i'm pretty sure I read he would not to come to us from Torino:poop: , not sure if that is how he feels or just Torino feels that way or possibly both him And Toro.

21. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I also don't like the Lucio move. I think he's past it and I would not want to use the 5th CB spot on an aging veteran. I'd rather we use that spot to develop a youngster, like Sorensen. Lucio will just be an expensive bench-warmer at Juventus. I would not start him over BBC.

22. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We need two more defenders:

LB: __________, De Ceglie, Chiellini​

CB: Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci, Caceres, _________​

RB: Lichtsteiner, Isla, Caceres​

Kolarov and Astori (free) would be my choices.

23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Chiellini injury test results
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    Tests have revealed Giorgio Chiellini suffered a second degree calf strain during the Euro 2012 Final between Italy and Spain.
    The defender started that match in Kiev, but limped off after just 21 minutes.
    Juventus medical staff today ran a series of tests on Chiellini’s latest injury and confirmed a second degree strain at the top of the left calf muscle.
    This is the kind of injury that would usually keep a player out for around three to five weeks, so could affect his pre-season training and presence at the Italian Super Cup against Napoli next month.

24. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    greeaat!

im sure lucio will fill in :confused:

25. OldLady

OldLady Member+