The Daily Show/Colbert Report IV

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by heybeerman, Aug 1, 2008.

1. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i actually thought the opposite. they both do it more than necessary, but i always felt that stewart did it way too often.

Ismitje and Dyvel repped this.
  2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

When I used to do some immigration work, people from countries other than Mexico occasionally thought it was in their interest to pretend to be Mexican. One way they did that was by swearing excessively.

rslfanboy repped this.
  3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I'm hoping John Stewart has a cannabis fueled sabbatical with Dave Chappelle somewhere.

raza_rebel repped this.
  4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm guessing they've never met any English people.. or Welsh, Irish or Scots for that matter... particularly the jocks :eek:

:D

Yaroni and YankHibee repped this.
  5. Major Major

Major Major Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Colorado
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a huge fan of Jon Stewart. Colbert is cool, though.

6. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Irish-American don't hold the Irish in high regard right?

How do Italian-Americans feel about Italians.

I also wonder if the Puerto-Rico vs Mexico thing is more of an American thing, I think Mexico-Mexicans and Puerto Ricans actually get along just fine.

Even outside the USA, if you drill down you are going to fight some Paraguay vs Brazil hate, Bolivia vs Chile, etc.

8. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Of course what this means is that using 'latino' or 'hispanic' as a blanket demographic is convenient but inaccurate, as there are plenty of differences (some subtle, some not so much) amongst latin american nationalitities.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ladies, watch the clip.

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PS:
    True story: I f/ckin' hate mayonnaise.

Viva Aztlan!

Dyvel, fatbastard and dapip repped this.
  11. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  13. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the people in New York and the people in Texas have a pretty good understanding. You stay there, I'll stay here, everything is good. Rick Perry being the exception.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

NY gets Perry, you get Spitzer.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Way too favorable trade in TX favor. Perry's a sub-human moron with helmet hair.

Rick Perry for Spitzer, Weiner, Sharpton, Bloomberg, Lohan & Joey Buttafuoco.

16. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deal.

17. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perry, Gohmert, and Cruz. You keep Buttafuoco because we couldn't spell that right 9 out of 10 times.

Edit
    I was going to say that I like Weiner but that would make me more New Yorker than Texan.

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    And Jimmy Johnson could endorse Weiner. "Johnson 4 Weiner. The Weening Team"

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nnnnnnooooo, that makes you San Francisco.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

dapip repped this.
  20. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a big Johnson (for a soccer player) on the Dynamo. No need to go all the way to Dallas for a wrinkled up old one.

21. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to bang the John Oliver gong.

I know I've bored people before about how great his podcast, The Bugle, is -- which is very -- but he's also been predictably great as the placeholder anchor.

Of course, having Carlos Danger to kick around certainly helps . . .

22. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Honestly, I've found him disappointing. His delivery is surprisingly off a lot of times. Loved him as the abrasive correspondent, much less thrilled about him as an anchor. That being said, Colbert's early attempts to host the Daily Show in place of Jon were also disappointing, so it's not necessarily fatal.

Of course, this is all slightly moot since the writing on Colbert's show has been significantly better and smarter for years now. Some of Colbert's show approach genius* whereas Jon too often gets bogged down in schtik (I get it Jon, you're Jewish), unfunny correspondents (enough with Samantha Bee and Jason Jones, PLEASE, and Kristen Schaal's not funny as a correspondent) and self-righteousness. Colbert's absurdity also better reflects today's political reality where some politicians he's lampooning are bordering on certifiable.

*This (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-co...gust-07-2012/steve-king-s-dogfighting-defense) is easily the most I've laughed over a 5 minute period in years.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

What? That's not against the law? Why not??? Maybe Congressman King should do something about that!! What, I'm being told all of that is against the law.

25. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said this before, but my standard assessment is that Stephen Colbert and his character are hilarious, period, while Jon Stewart depends more on great written material (a good portion of which I'm assuming he writes himself) to be funny.

Of course it was Stewart's vision that has lead the Daily Show to greatness, and allowed for Colbert to flourish.

But Colbert is simply amazing -- singing, dancing, acting. His physical and facial humor -- and basically acting ability -- are astonishing. From his simple gestures and flourishes from behind the desk, to something like his acrobatic Rubio water maneuver.

And his interviews are generally better because Stewart is not in character and has to often be somewhat serious depending on the guest. But Colbert is incredible during interviews; I'm frequently astonished at how quick and g/dam funny he is on his feet.

In short: I agree. (Accept for the Oliver part.)

GiuseppeSignori repped this.