The Daily Show/Colbert Report IV

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by heybeerman, Aug 1, 2008.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Larry Wilmore was the "Senior Black Correspondent" but Cenac is pretty good.

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sorry fellas, I didn't realize Cenac was just a regular Senior Correspondent who happened to be black (and might still be black).

American Brummie repped this.
  4. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colbert Interviews Stewart

Some really great highlights in this summary of a live one-on-one between these two at an event in Colbert's hometown.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only person that thinks TDS is basically mailing it in 50% of the time? They need to shake things up to get their mojo back.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    That Jennifer-whats-her-name is OK. Maybe she needs more seasoning

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought the 'drone' piece was quite powerful.

Although apparently unrelated, it reminded me of this piece in The New Yorker...

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2013/01/secrecy-around-ksm-guantanamo-hearings.html

As Carol Rosenberg of the Miami Herald describes it, “A red emergency light spins in court when a censor at the judge’s elbow hits the mute button to prevent someone from spilling national security secrets.” At just before 2:30 P.M., David Nevin, one of the defense lawyers, who was addressing a brief having to do with C.I.A. secret prisons, said he understood that “we are going to do this in a 505 and that some portion of this will turn out to be closed or secret.” As he pronounced “secret,” the light began to flash and white noise filled the audio feed, as if it had been a trigger word—even though neither the security officer or the judge had touched the button. That’s when the judge, James Pohl, realized that he was not, as he’d thought—given the trappings and the job title—running his own courtroom. Some unknown person in another room was, and was apparently able to turn the audio off or on, or, for all anyone knew, pipe in the soundtrack to “Zero Dark Thirty.”

Judge Pohl, who is also an Army colonel, was confused and angry.

“If some external body is turning the commission off under their own view of what things ought to be, with no reasonable explanation because I—there is no classification on it, then we are going to have a little meeting about who turns that light on or off,” the judge said.

Yeah, never mind about all that messy,' trial' and 'justice' malarkey... FAR too time-consuming.

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, you aren't the only one. Colbert is good at least 75% (3 out of 4 each week). Depending on the week, TDS can be very good, but in general, you are correct.

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever the subject gets too real - like with the drones - the show isn't as funny as it could be.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the stuff taking the piss out of the 'meeja' is more lightweight because, although it's kinda important, it's not THAT important. With stuff like the drone piece, he clearly thinks it's MEGA important.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think the news stuff is still mostly top notch, but the humor is not quite there for me as it used to. Especially when they try to blend a serious topic with toilet humor.

A lot depends on the guest too. If the guest is good it can make the show good. But more often than not the guests fall flat. I get annoyed at having to see Hollywood stars on a news satire show. The two don't blend for me. And I get tired of people peddling their books. Whatever happened with just booking a guest because they have something smart to say?

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch TDS when there's a political or academic guest, and skip the episodes with stars of whatever ilk. These interviews remain top notch IMO.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know what you mean but the problem is he does some of his best satirical stuff when he has a guest that's totally unrelated to the point he's making.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Colbert is consistently good because he never goes out of character - he is always a doofus blowhard who will say funny things. Stewart is a real person who gets serious sometimes. And yeah, I'm not so crazy about people coming on to plug their book or movie - I usually don't know who the hell they are.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I know what you mean and I don't usually like it if that's all it is but my interpretation is that he specifically asks people on who have produced something of interest thus have something to talk about.

16. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    TDS = better ACTUAL news
    CR = better comedy, man his writers are top notch, one of the few programs that really make me burst out huge, red face, lack of breath laughs.

Boloni86 and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  17. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're not the only one.
    You may turn that show on every night and see one bit in one episode that may make you chuckle; that's it.
    It's funny and creative days are long gone.
    They pretty much left when John Stewart's grey hair arrived.
    It's the same crowd in here tossing John Stewart's salad as when I first posted in it about a year ago, it's nice that atleast you guys are consistent.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, I don't think that's true. It IS creative, as much as anything because current affairs are... well... current. They change. If your argument is that they repeat the same criticisms of the 'meeja', politicians, etc. etc. that's maybe true but that's essentially because those parties KEEP doing the same dumb shit over and over again.

In all honesty I think the daily show could be improved by being called the weekly show and adjusting the frequency accordingly.

Over here we have Private Eye magazine which performs a similar function, (but better IMO), but that's produced every fortnight.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=hp_sauce
    http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=rotten_boroughs
    http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=columnists

19. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think political satire has a ceiling as far as creativity and humor.
    It's a lazy brand of comedy imo and it comes off as pretentious, not funny.
    The thing that makes Colbert's show a little better is his like-ability if you will.
    Joel McHale and The Soup is a hell of alot funnier.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, it's lazy sometimes but it can be argued that's just because of the inadequacies of those it satirises. Quite honestly the American right-wing has almost become a parody of itself. Over here we have to try a little harder.

Well, not much, but... :D

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What used to make TDS brilliant was that it is NOT primarily political satire. It is primarily satire of political media. And that was a very target rich environment until recently, especially the coverage of the Mess-o-potamia. There were a hell of alot of media figures that were hilariously wrong about Bush and the war and all that.

But nowadays, the mainstream media is somewhat less stupid. There still some are decent targets, but waaaay too often, TDS takes the easy road and mocks Fox & Friends. It's like stealing candy from a retarded baby.

I guess it would be hard to make it funny, but the colossal misunderstanding of macroeconomics on the part of the elite is definitely a worthy target. But, hey, did you hear what Steve Doocy said?

22. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jon Stewart to Take 12 Week Hiatus to Lead Serious Film, Venezuelan Transition

The stand-up satirist and “Daily Show” host on Tuesday said he would direct his first film, a drama called “Rosewater,” from a screenplay that he wrote. The movie – which will require a 12-week absence from his “Daily Show” duties — is an adaptation of the 2011 book “Then They Came for Me: A Family’s Story of Love, Captivity and Survival” by Maziar Bahari and Aimee Molloy.

Stewart will then head a 10-man international team to lead the transition in Venezuela from the presidency and self-perpetuating autocracy of Hugo Chavez to an anarcho-syndicalist commune, where legislators take turns to act as a sort of an executive officer for the week. But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting -- by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more wide reaching measures.

23. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phew:

Jon Stewart may find himself out of a job after his hiatus. No word on whether John Oliver will also be involved in the Venezuelan transition.

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  25. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club: