The Curse of Dick Cheney

Discussion in 'Elections' started by BlueMeanie, Sep 15, 2004.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Heh. From Rolling Stone issue #957, September 16, 2004.

Guess what? Everything Dick Cheney touches turns to shite.

The Curse of Dick Cheney by T.D. Allman

...and more!

(Oh, BTW, if people are going to link Fox News articles as "legit sources of info", why not link Rolling Stone, too? Fair's fair, and balanced is balanced.)

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting read.

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I really never associated "good karma" with Dick Cheney, but it is interesting to read all the failures he has been associated with.

I never knew much about his educational background, but I always assumed it was pretty impressive as I have heard him described several times as an academic thinker who turned neo-con later in his career.

This almost sounds like a sitcom -- From the ivy covered walls of Yale to Casper Community College. And talk about family values. Nothing like having a kid to get another deferment.

4. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much proof do we need to see that Dumbya isn't a leader at all, and that this administration is being run at the deputy level????

Jaysus, I need a drink...

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you guys meant this curse...

CHENEY RETURNS TO CAMP CRYSTAL LAKE
    CRYSTAL LAKE, NJ—Reports of a shadowy figure in the woods and heavy breathing heard in the night, coupled with a recent series of grisly murders, have generated rumors that U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney has returned to terrorize the counselors at Camp Crystal Lake, sources reported Friday...

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Vice President Cheney

Liberal slime continues to slander our Vice President! Shows how low the Kerry campaign has fallen, which is knee-high to dead cockroach at this point! The liberals have no focus; they choose to slander!

IntheNet
    Bush/Cheney in 2004

7. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines

You're welcome to him.

Josh Marshall did something like this a while back for the Washington Monthly re: Cheney's incompetence. This was before - long before - Dick turned out to be the last guy on earth outside the Weekly Standard who thought Iraq had WMD.

8. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Iraq has WMD...we haven't found them yet! Important clarification! Saddam used WMD at least twice in past...Let's use logic and not rely on MoveOn.org
    propaganda... the fact that WMD has not yet been found does not mean that Saddam did not have them, simply, they have not been found yet....since he used them before...they were hidden.

Consider: it took us 10 months to find Saddam hiding in a hole in Iraq...it could take longer - much longer - to find WMD!

IntheNet

9. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya

Filler.

10. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE

Read the article. It's about how Cheney's a hateful, incompetent, self-serving buffoon, not the fruitless search for WMD in Iraq.

And as much as you'd like to dismiss it, it's not moveon.org propaganda. It's from a journalistic site that's every bit as relevant (yet biased) as Fox News or the National Review.

Typical response. You can't argue one solitary point of the article, so you dismiss it, change the subject, and attack the source.

11. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I want all you guys who find this article "interesting" go to a logic textbook and look up the definition of a post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy.

By the way, and as an example,George Bush the First lost the election because (1) the economy had tanked and (2) he violated his pledge of "read my lips." Cheyney's role as Secretary of Defense has zero connection the the loss.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I respect people who are supersticious and believe in curses, but the Rolling Stone article doesn't make sense. A supersticious person might believe, based on past experience, that VP Chenney will be bad karma for whoever appointed him to a cabinet post and is running for reelection. But technically George W. Bush would not be affected by such curse, because he never appointed Chenney to any post in his administration. What he did is chose him as his running mate, and it was the people who elected him as Vice President.

(Although, maybe Rolling Stone is arguing cynically that it was the Supreme Court which appointed Chenney, rather than the people of America. But since Supreme Court justices are not running for reelection, they have nothing to worry about as far as the alleged curse is concerned.)

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    :rolleyes:

I didn't equate 'interesting' to meaningful.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you can back this statement up...what am I saying, of course you can.

Neither did I. Hell, Mein Kampf was 'interesting.'

15. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please define slander and explain in what ways the RS article is slanderous.

16. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Really?? I thought for sure I saw you rubbing your chin in a contemplative pose as you were reading it.

Generally, I think it is safe to say that if something isn't meaningful, it really isn't interesting at all. It may, in fact, be a whole lot of mental masturbation.

Mein Kampf isn't "interesting" -- it may be useful as an historical artifact and as a window, such as it is, to the psyche of the man, but interesting??

Nope, not whit.

17. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You wouldn't call a "window" into the psyche of a man like Adolf Hilter interesting? The ability to take a deeper look at a man who greatly influenced history, and was one of the greatest leaders and orators in history is pretty interesting in my book.

18. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    No, I wouldn't. Again, such things can be revealing but can be very uninteresting.

That book doesn't provide a "deeper" look at all. It's a rant. You can read one of his speeches, and get the basic rant.

"Greatest leaders?"....well, if you say so.

19. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Keller is missing your point, I think, but in fairness, Mein Kampf is dull as dishwater.

20. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?
    Greatest leader in history? Are you on drugs? His "leadership" led to the utter destruction of Germany, the untold suffering of numerous nations, the decimation of polish, jewish, and numerous other peoples within Europe, and the involvement of the entire world in seven (7) years (more or less) of war and reconstruction. That is not leadership! As for oration and rhetoric, the Munich speeches where Hitler gave his best known "oration" were forced attendance affairs where crowds were rounded up and forced to attend. Regardless of what this criminal said, I don't consider a speech great if the audience lacks the chance to leave!

Constrast this with Lincoln's "few remarks" at the consecration of the Gettysburg Cemetery in 1863 -- approximately 200 words -- which went on to be one of the world's best (certainly this nation's best) oration!

Hitler a great leader? Man... Chicago1871... get your understanding of history in gear! Ronald Reagan will go down in history as ten times the leader (for this nation)! Internationally, I believe Michael Gorbachev will be known in history as a leader who first defended then -- through understanding -- ushered in the fall of Communism, for the USSR... He is certainly a far better "Leader" than the criminal you cited!

IntheNet

21. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    It's scary that it only takes such a small change...

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I know the Gettysburg Address is regarded as one of the great speeches of history, but I would have thought MLK's "I Believe" is considered at least as good.

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Bode's Law is considered one of the most interesting coincidences of astronomy, but for all intents and purposes it's utterly meaningless.

24. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Nearly two pages and yet not one mention that the true "Curse of Dick Cheney" is the F-word.

I'm starting to get disappointed in you people.

25. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

So have we.