The Cristiano Ronaldo Thread: Part X. [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by GoodDead, May 2, 2010.

1. babai_here

babai_here Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Whatever happens in La Liga this year.. I believe Ronaldo has played very very well through out the season for us.Without him I just can't imagine us.
    Hope he can do well in WC.. I am a Brazilian fanboy but for Ronaldo I will also cheer for Portugal (Except that match please) .
    Anyway if somehow we win La Liga and Portugal goes far in WC I believe Ronaldo can be the player of the year (Argentina is crap with their coach) cause Messi needs to prove himself for his country but same goes for Ronaldo too.. Lets see.

2. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I guess somebody forgot to tell Ronaldo that Barcelona has won the title. Clutch performances in back to back games - that first goal had me wincing - stretching with his right leg, a full speed collision with the goalie... yikes. I was just happy he managed to get up unarmed. Then, as a bonus, the ball seemed to hover in the air for like a minute before landing in the goal. What a weird, slightly scary goal. He's definitely not backing off the dangerous plays...

Real is a weird team. They looked really ragged that 1st half - lots of defensive mistakes - and showing a lot of difficulty to move the ball forward. Mallorca could have/should have scored 1-2 more goals in that first half whereas Real had one chance on goal and scored.

Yet, Real has 92 points. 92. Incredible. In any other year, they would have won the title weeks ago. The gulf between Barca/Real and the 3rd placed team is 25 points. 25!!! Crazy the level that Barca and Real have played at this year.

Ronaldo is playing at or above 2008 level. His speed and finishing are top notch. But IMHO his weakness - his passing - has improved A LOT. Quicker, more decisive, less predictable, and more frequently on target. Last night, early in the 2nd half, he took the ball on the right side, took a quick peek over his shoulder to see where Higuain was and immediately hit a perfect strike on the ground into Higuain's feet, right between the 2 center backs. Great, quick cross, much better vision than you would have seen 2-3 years ago. And he's been doing that week-in, week-out from anywhere on the field.

3. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    With this season he's having I fully expect him to carry us at the World Cup. Previously, I refused to place my expectations on just him, but if he can carry a team like Madrid, and the expectations of their entire fanbase, then why can't he carry the hopes of a small country like Portugal?

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ^^^
    We can only hope but NT games and club games are different things. And Ronaldo usually looks like 2 different people depending on the scenario.

5. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Its odd sometimes when hes on the NT he really looks like he is feeling pressure, even if he played for two of the biggest clubs in the world where success is seen as mandatory he doesnt seem to feel pressure.

playing for your NT is different, but hes maturing now hes 25 years old so maybe by now hes learnt how to deal with it or at least we hope

and lastly lets hope he remains fit and healthy for the tournament

6. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Brazil is not even an interesting team right now dont know why you would root for them unless you were Brazilian.

Put Blue Italian shirts on Brazil and you probably wouldnt notice the difference and everyone would hate them.

Current brazilian team is all about organization, counterattacking, fast transition, and efficiency in front of goal. sounds alot like Italy to me.

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So CR had 32 goals in 33 appearances. Anyone else think he wouldn't have been leading scorer in La Liga and Europe had he not missed about 1/4th of the season?

8. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Yeah, I think he would. Let's check the stats (courtesy of ESPN):

If you count NT games, he's got 32 goals in 35 games.
    That's 0.91 goal/game (Sick in today's game).

Messi's got 46 in 56 games (0.82 goals/game).

For comparison:
    CR's Annus mirabilis (2008), he had 42 goals in 46 games (0.91 goals/game)
    Messi's 2009 -> 42 goals in 54 games (0.78 goals/game)

Assists:
    CR, 2010: 7
    Messi, 2010: 10
    CR, 2008: 9
    Messi, 2009: 18

So, yeah, it's official, he's at 2008 level of performance. IMO, he might be better now - new team, new coach, huge pressure, injuries - nothing has slowed him down. Started really well; last few weeks -> in the Zone. Better passing too, IMO.

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In 2007 I think was his best season. He went 20 for 20 that year. Simply class....

10. tonygravato

tonygravato New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Little Egg Harbor,NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Such a thing exists????? :rolleyes:

11. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Impressive numbers! Too bad Kaka sucked for Real. Ronaldo showed a lot of leadership this season.

12. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    And in 2007 he was still scoring for the NT. In fact, at that point, he was on pace to destroy NT scoring records.

13. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    not sure if anyone has seen this yet, its Nikes new "Write the Future" campaign but at about 2:12 Ronaldo comes into the video, i love the part with Homer Simpson.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

14. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  15. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Agreed. Amazing. Bit surprised that Umbro and Puma were in a Nike commercial, though.

16. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well Nike owns Umbro, and I dont think those were the real Ivory Coast jerseys.

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If the IC and Italy kits weren't fake enough all it take is looking at Ribery's "France" Uniform it was obviously nothing close to what Adidas has produced.

18. simao20

simao20 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    SoCal
    [​IMG]

19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronal..D'oh!

20. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yea if you pause the video at 3sec, you can see a nike logo on the uniform.

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Best commercial from Nike. Hands down! Who plays Ronaldo in the movie?

22. tonygravato

tonygravato New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Little Egg Harbor,NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I read someplace, about the statue in the video. Nike actually had it made and its close to the Bernbeau. There was some stink as it was CR7 in Portuguese NT and this was Madrid.

That video was great.

23. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Gael García Bernal a Mexican actor who was in the motorcycle diaries and wrote the screen play for Y tu Mama tambien.

I think there were tons of other actors Nike could of used because Gael doen't look much like Ronaldo.

24. umdemelo

umdemelo Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Charm City
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just saw the commercial yesterday, it's pretty good. I like the whole premise of how a single moment can change your life and the world around you. I thought the Rooney section was clever.

25. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Both good films