The Crew Television Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Oh is that some kind of joke? I am not laughing MLS.

2. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was pissed when I found out the Blue Jackets playoff games would be on NBCSN. For some reason, even though we get a mid-level lineup and the sports package from Dish, NBCSN (and FS1) aren't included. Ridiculous.

BUT THEN, out of nowhere, it was announced that Blue Jackets games will be continued to be carried on FSO in the Columbus area and blacked out on NBCSN. It's almost as if the Blue Jackets want their fans who can currently watch their games to still be able to watch their games.

WHAT A NOVEL CONCEPT.

Kryptonite repped this.
  3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ahh, I see what's going on. I thought it would be on both channels. Instead, we in Ohio get FS Ohio with the other game on NBCSN.

I wonder if other markets have the local game on their local channel with the other game on NBCSN and CNBC is only active in markets without a local team involved.

4. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kryptonite and Draghignazzo repped this.
  5. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to my life.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2181 Kryptonite, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    I think I get two more. One on Unimas (blurry Spanish SD) and one on NBCSN.

And the worst? We get to do it all again next year. :( Hopefully we win a lot of trophies this year and ESPN and FOX line up to pick up a ton of our games.

*watch McCullers get a new job well outside the blackout zone.*

As evidenced by the screenshot, my provider (AT&T) has TWO full-time FS Ohio feeds in HD. I could pay extra to get FS Detroit HD, which had some games last year. I think they also had some games on alternate channels too.

I'm sure they're not the only provider with this. If someone's provider only has one FS Ohio feed and their feed is showing Cavs, Reds, etc, then it's not FS Ohio's fault for "not showing the game" or whatever.

Unfortunately, the general population didn't see it that way...they called the FO to complain that the games "weren't on" and the FO took that for what it was. :(

Attached Files:

Lucky Day and Draghignazzo repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2182 Kryptonite, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Crew soccer
    Australian Rules football

Guess which one I can watch live in HD. Guess which one many of us could ride a bicycle to.

Way to go, CFO.

RoleModel83 repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there is allegedly a Columbus Rules team. I have no idea where they play, however.

9. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I mentioned this before, but currently on DirecTV I have four Fox Sports Ohio HD feeds: two labeled as FS Ohio and two labeled as FS Cincinnati. A couple weeks ago that allowed me to see HD versions of the Cavaliers, Blue Jackets, and Reds at the same time (with the Indians in HD on Sports Time Ohio).

I know not every provider does that, but it's nice to have.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, OSU's west campus is coming to mind...or is that another group?

11. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. 614life

614life Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The best news is they're really excited about the possibility of building interest through local TV viewership. They've struck a deal with Time Warner. All you have to do is sign up for the premium package, including HBO, and then Time Warner will allow you to watch tape delayed broadcasts through select websites with 480i HD quality.

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mls live gets soooo behind during the match. Tim and I have to go on phone silence because we get texts and alerts that something has happened (e.g. A goal) before we see it on the television.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I saw a guy at church today wearing an "American Footy" polo. Didn't get to talk with him, tho.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here we are a few weeks into the new MLS season.

1) I have yet to see or hear of anyone who switched to Time Warner to watch Crew games.

2) Other than one or two random posts, I have yet to see anything about this new studio coverage they're supposed to offer.

Never forget.

stanger and RoleModel83 repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On point 1, look up about 10-15 posts and you will see one.

17. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    A few people have mentioned switching but it hasn't been many.

18. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    FYP.

Cause if you've ever dealt with them previously you would be insane to go back.

Draghignazzo and Lucky Day repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Some roommates and I had TWC back in the late 80s. They had an outage during the SuperBowl. So I would never choose them again. I switched to Insight early last year though and not long after they were bought by TWC. So I'm now a TWC customer. I have to reboot the cable boxes about once a week when the DVR freezes up. That causes the program guide to reload which takes hours. Otherwise it's not horrendous, and they do have the Crew in low def.

20. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I had TWC prior to moving to AT&T. What pissed me off is that I had to physically take their stupid hardware back to that place off olentangy. Then on top of that, even after giving them everything back, they still sent me to collections saying I owed them money for two months of service after cancelling my service and handing in the box. Of course the person I spoke to was 9.5 hours ahead of me, if you get my meaning. had to talk to someone in else to get it sorted.

Still they do have one thing going for them, it is the only place you can watch the crew live outside of crew stadium.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to my program guide, FS Ohio (Cincinnati subfeed) won't be showing the CBJ playoff game until midnight, due to Reds baseball.

I guess that means the CBJ are treated like a sub-class product in some parts of the state?

(And yeah, I'm sure they're on an alternate channel where available, but I just felt like a healthy dose of sarcasm.)

Lucky Day repped this.
  22. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you have an antenna as backup for free tv (like the Super Bowl) when the cable goes out?

23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    No, one of the advantages of cable is a better picture than from the antenna. I don't remember if the TV back then still had attached rabbit ears.

24. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    In today's digital TV world, over-the-air TV (through the antenna) is far superior to cable TV signals. Cable and sat TV carriers compress video signals in order to get more channels through their given bandwidth, while broadcast TV channels allocate significantly more bandwidth for the TV signal, thus compressing the signal less. I discuss this in detail in my communication technology course. *yawn*

25. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #2200 pettyfog, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Lol, PoDinC.... So YOU are one of those who the 'magic free tv adapter - GET dozens of channels FREE!' shysters are targeting. A piece of plastic and some wire in it for only 19.99.

I think I can safely say a bent coathanger can provide a better HD picture than cable if you're near campus or in Grandview.
    Seriously Back on Topic:
    Someone might want to try this, rather than some dodgy P2P or kludge VPN to get around the blackout
    http://www.unblock-us.com/
    I was futzing around with my Windows Media Center and scan/setup channels {in WinTV} got a hit on TWS with Crew info header. Since I haven't tried watching yet at gametime, not sure it is really in ClearQam {same as reg digital - Kryp can translate}. That means your tv should be able to get it direct from TW cable without a STBox.

- Reason is I gave back the TW set top boxes when the fee went up and spent the money on Amazon Prime and Netflix stream instead.