The Cities Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by That Phat Hat, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    A. Still, be thankful it wasn't a car; it could have been much worse
    2. If he was riding on the sidewalk, he deserved summary execution

2. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    depends on how crowded the sidewalks are. obviously if it's really crowded, riding on the sidewalk is not acceptable. but if it's not crowded, it's a heck of a lot safer to the rider than the street - when you can get sideswiped or "doored."

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I almost doored somebody once. Now *that* is a dangerous situation. Getting out of a cab, my vision was impaired. I guess the lesson is only get out on the sidewalk side. Man that was close and it would have been totally my fault.

4. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Sorry, there's never an OK reason to ride a bike on the sidewalk.

ElasticNorseman and crazypete13 repped this.
  5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    More diverting the gravy boats methinks.

Yes, he and his councilor brother (Doug - I kid you not - we have Bob & Doug as mayoral mouthpieces, coo loo coo coo coo coo coo coo) also did a 'Cut the Waist' weight loss challenge, with middling success.

They've had a public feud with Margaret Atwood about library cuts:
    http://www.globaltoronto.com/library+feud/6442456990/story.html

Not to mention trying to buy a parcel of parkland next to his house to have a safer are for his kids to play, in arguably one of the safest enclaves of the city:
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...ext-to-his-home-conservation-authority-rules/

6. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had it done to me on several occasions in NYC. fractured a couple of fingers once. okay for passengers to get out on the sidewalk side, but the driver has to get out on the left side. for a bicyclist, it's either hit the door, or veer into traffic. not the best alternatives. I have to say of all my riding (and I've been riding since I was 5), I've never hit a pedestrian. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm a highly skilled rider, but that has never seemed like a danger to me.

7. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Your best bet is to go for the softer landing and hit the driver opening the door.

8. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or not

Even though the link I provide is a rare occurance, cyclists can get up to pretty fast speeds especially if there's terrain involved and the damage that can be done at those velocities is far more than a scrape.

I live in a pedestrian and bicycle-friendly neighborhood. I walk around my neighborhood a lot, and have seen many close calls with peds as cyclists are wizzing through the intersections with crosswalks at all way stops in our neighborhood, and one time had a close call myself when I was pushing my baby in the stroller through the crosswalk. And let me tell you, if that guy had hit my stroller I would have done that guy ten times worse than what Segroves did.

I can accept cyclists slowing down and looking both ways at a stop or red because of the need to keep some momentum or since the loop detectors of traffic signals sometimes don't get triggered by the bikes.

9. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish that was an option. usually if I'm far enough away that the driver has time to get out, I can check traffic and go around. it's when the door is just flung out right in front of you before the driver has had a chance to step out that get you.

10. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Mostly it's that split second option of: over the door, veer into traffic (whatever, never gonna do that), or into the car and try a Starsky & Hutch over the hood (wouldn't work for all makes and models).

Either way, you're likely looking at broken limbs and/or ribs/collarbone - and one driver who'll never do that again.

11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cars weren't allowed on the campus loop, and it was on the sidewalk, coming down hill.

Something rather ironic about being on a mountain bike on a sidewalk.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. However, many cities are starting to build "multi-use paths," which are essentially wider sidewalks, for pedestrian and bicycle traffic.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A few years back, I saw a bicycle messenger plaster a pedestrian. Scary stuff, the messenger was flying. That pedestrian wasn't doing much moving when the ambulance arrived.

Back in the day, the bicycle messengers were unquestionably more dangerous to city pedestrians than were car drivers, even though there were many few messengers. They didn't obey traffic rules, while the cars almost always did.

14. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this discussion is kinda funny, because what you see depends on where you stand - i.e. your perspective. when I'm driving, I hate bicyclists - and other drivers. when I'm bicycling, I hate cars - pedestrians are not an issue as I haven't even come close to hitting one. when I'm walking, I hate both bicyclists and cars. when I'm sitting at my desk at the office, trolling BigSoccer, I love everyone!

crazypete13 repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    These are awesome examples of the Anecdotal logical fallacy. But statistics don't bear that out at all.

For the last three months of 2011, for example, in NYC there were 27 bike-ped collisions and no deaths. During the same period, there were 2,600 car-ped collisions and 50 deaths.

You misspelled despise.

guignol repped this.
  17. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my bad. that, and I become a 10' tall, bullet proof ninja! I will fight anybody, and will kick their ass into next week!

18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was rejected by the MTA as well but a court overturned that decision (and I would say rightly did so)

The ad is disgusting but the resulting conversation has been really positive. That's the power of free speech. That's also the power of cities. If this ad went up in some dumb small town in middle America there would be no discussion on the matter whatsoever. But in a city with a breadth of viewpoints, some good and some bad, our society grows when stuff like this happens.

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nahh, we country libruls just go out, get drunk and deface those signs.

21. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Portland still has them.

22. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe there would be no discussion and no growth, but if the small town is in the western half of Colorado, you would have some great scenic views, mountain climbing, rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding, paragliding, mountain biking, road biking, hiking, kayaking, stand-up paddling, etc. ;)

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some country farmer put up a new Abortion related Obama sign out on I-40 about a month ago.

Damned if it didn't catch on fire about a week later.

25. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't hate the speaker.
    hate the speech.