The Cities Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by That Phat Hat, Sep 12, 2012.

1. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When a liberal midwestern boy like myself is agreeing with Scalia about pizza, surely the end of the world is nigh...

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    1, 3, 5 - No contest. The Chicago area has more Mexican-Americans than the states of New York and New Jersey combined. You can toss in Pennsylvania and Connecticut too. Hell, Chicago has more Mexican-Americans than Colorado and New Mexico combined. Before the decade is out, Chicagoland will have more Mexican-Americans than African-Americans. We're the snow branch of Mexico.

2, 4 - Sure, whatever.

6 - Now you're trolling.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    McCarren's pool was a surprisingly good music venue. I don't know why they had to fill it with water.

I'll always have a soft spot for Bowery and Mercury Lounge, even if I hate the crowds there.

4. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, when you have quote Scalia to support your position, you've already lost.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I know, I showered with bleach afterwards. But the Jersey boy is right. That's pig feed in a pan, not pizza.

At least we can argue about it. 90% of this country has such absolutely shitty pizza, they go to chains and actually LIKE IT. Ewww!

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Deep dish is good if the crust is good, but I rarely see it ... seems to be mostly for the Michigan Avenue tourist crowd. Stuffed is more popular with Chicagoans than deep dish. Stuffed is malignant. A heart attack in training, do not touch after graduating college. Thin crust is most popular even in Chicago. Probably 80% of the pizzas brought into the office for working lunches, afternoon parties, etc. are thin crust.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah, NY pizza. I proved my pernt.

8. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, though there is really no such thing as terrible pizza. Even bad pizza is still pizza.

bigredfutbol and fatbastard repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Depending on where you live you could be spoiled or deprived...and most of the deprived don't know it. Like good Mexican in NY/NJ, we really don't have that much of it although it's improving. I liken pizza to beer. You certainly can drink Coors Light, but why?

They put cheddar on the pizza in parts of New England :confused:

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The sex theory, eh? Mostly true although if you go to Lithuania and get pizza with ketchup as the tomato base, you might modify your view a bit.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Fat pizzas need luvin too

[​IMG]

Barbara and fatbastard repped this.
  12. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have pretty good pizza here. I haven't had to resort to chain pizza in forever.

(My dirty little secret is that I eat - and usually enjoy - frozen pizza. But I don't consider it pizza - it's its own thing, if that makes sense.)

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to agree with bad pizza is still pizza, but when you get worse than the $1 slices you can get in Manhattan, I think that ceases to qualify.

It actually does.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I got that in Edwardsville, IL once, about 20 years ago. Furthermore, 1) my wife was convinced the dough was Pop-n-Fresh biscuit dough and 2) the cheese was possibly American, or best-case scenario, colby. To this day, it's the only time we left pizza behind.

Last two towns we've lived in = plenty of good pizza places.

15. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not pizza. That's bread with ketchup on it.

guignol repped this.
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Henry Hill
    "Can't even get decent food - right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce, and I got egg noodles and ketchup."

guignol repped this.
  17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    kibbutz merchavia was founded by poles back in 1905 and even though no one there when i was was even remotely polish, the pizza and the spaghetti bolognaise served in the cafeteria still had a distinctly polish taste to it. inedible.

scalia's right about the chewy and crispy. the best pizza i have ever had, including in italy was at via roma.

[​IMG]
    thta's no normal thick crust you're looking at. it's all air inside, light as a soufflé. a chewy, crispy soufflé. the bits that bubble up highest (no real big ones on this pizza but you can get an idea) get burned on the top and that's the best part.

they used to be right in front of our factory in a place that had been a plumbing supply outfit and of the golden rules location, location, location they had all three wrong. the only reason i can think they set up shop there was dirt-cheap rent. in a few months they were so busy you had to reserve the day before for lunch, and they started opening up evenings in a part of town where NOTHING is open at night, and people would wait outside for a table in a dark lonely street 30 minutes for a table and feel damned lucky. after 2-3 years they moved to les gratte-ciel, the heart of villeurbanne*. the rest is history. they sold their lease to a couple of corsicans who made the worst pizza i ever tasted but they remained packed for over a year too, just from the residual habit of customers who kept going back to the same place, like laboratory rats who keep pushing the same button long after it stops giving treats.

*villeurbanne is kind of like lyon's answer to brooklyn, but without the hipsters. our hipsters have special needs for restaurants: anything more banal than peruvian or afghan will not do. you also have to wait at least 15 minutes for a menu and another hour to be served, despite the place having no more than 30 covers to handle, and absolutely streng verboten to have a portion/cost ratio over 10 calories per euro. and last but not least, hipsters never ever cross the tracks.

for the comments in the link, the one person who gave 3 stars did so because of the smoke, in the days before restaurants in france banned cigarettes. why did every one else give 4.5 and not 5? because for the french, 100% cannot exist. only god can get 5 stars.

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    my wife buys one brand of frozen pizza somewhere you would not believe. and it's no hoighty-toighty brand either. in fact i think it's a hard-discounter's house brand!

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They forgot the cheese.

Barbara and minerva repped this.
  20. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    problem with frozen pizzas is the crust. I think that is the secret to a good pizza. obviously you need the other ingredients too, but in my mind it all starts with the crust. and it's next to impossible to get a good crust on a frozen pizza.

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's just the thing! i simply can't believe it! eppure...

i think that's a marinara, but they have others with more cheese (that one has some, in fact)... and even a a couple with creme fraiche instead of tomato sauce that are very good too.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's the best kind of pizza. Yes I know, Da Ghost of Da Mayor (any one of them) will strike me dead for writing such a thing.

23. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was just kidding, of course. Our favorite place in my wife's hometown has what they call a Pizza Rustica that looks like that, except it has some roasted fresh veggies and a just bit of cheese (mozzarella and feta), about as much cheese as you'd get on a big burger, spread out so you get just a bit with each bite. Of course, if you try to sell that with a mediocre sauce, you won't get many takers.

guignol repped this.
  25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The margherita is supposed to evoke the Italian flag. In Chicago I think it emulates a wheel of cheese.

guignol repped this.