The Chivas USA Rebrand Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Knave, Feb 20, 2014.

1. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps Steve Morgan will reach back into Wolverhampton history and relaunch the LA Wolves ;)

2. Gnarly1

Gnarly1 New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Lobos ;)

3. DutchVartigo

DutchVartigo New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm going to go for:
    AFC Empire
    AKA
    Association Football Club Empire

FC Empire seems to generic for an American club.
    And I've seen a few FC Empire, Empire FC, Empire SC, CD Empire etc.
    So apparently a lot of people like Empire, AFC is a great add to it.

4. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emirates Empire...?

5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Empire is NYC ....

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive him, he's Dutch

HailtotheKing repped this.
  7. DutchVartigo

DutchVartigo New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I guess I meant this one. I've heard the name Empire coming across a couple of times when reading about Chivas.. so that's why I thougth of it.

Maybe AFC Inland Empire than?

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shows you how much people want a new brand for that team and what a mistake the Chivas name really was... Frankly I'm with them, even on this short of notice I'd hoped the team would take on a temporary placeholder identity rather than continue the Chivas travesty another season. Alas it's not to be.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell partner up with the Blues in OC, take their recently abandoned LA Blues name and become the LA Blues Advance.

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About as desirable as Mid-Michigan Bucks

edwardgr repped this.
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they just want a new brand, they don't really care which team it's on. They just get excited about rebrands. Some people want rebrands for every team. Every year.

Achowat repped this.
  12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh for many I'd agree, but I think you're seeing more attention with this potential rebrand than most for the reasons I listed. This is a name people have wanted gone for the better part of a decade, and it wasn't the usual rebrand chatter but a league necessity.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's the only one currently up for grabs, right?

And there's the whole jingoism part of it.

Got to that point, yeah. But nobody would be all hot and bothered if they'd stayed on the path they were on when Bradley was their coach.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about that. Even when Bradley was there and they were at their best there was an undercurrent of folks that wanted the Chivas name gone. Of course it intensified the more Vergera and the Cue's ran the team into the ground and then delved into the whole racist element.

Whether Jingoism plays into it I wouldn't be able to say, I'm sure it does for some, but for most it's less that than it is the simple fact the existing name is a hinderance to the team (and thus the league) in that it's exclusionary and makes MLS look like a minor league outfit to the older Liga MX.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not true, for a few years there was the ChivasUSA bump.

If ChivasUSA had gone after some Mexican DP players and won more games, the experiment may have turned out differently.

Yes there was always going to be people that hated the idea, but there were people that really liked the idea, at least for a little while.

Look at RedBull NJ, lots of people hate the idea, but RB invests in the club so people live with it. It would be way different if Red Bull had a bunch of ChivasUSA type seasons and never built their own stadium and was playing in some crappy stadium.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, were you here in 2003? It's been SINCE DAY 1.

I'm saying if they were a successful brand and a successful team, some of that would have been ameliorated.

Which, we know now, is gar-bahg, first off, but people have been saying that shit for 11 years now. And now they say it about Man City.

Part if it IS jingoism - I don't know if you remember when they first announced (actual) Chivas as the 2003 (?) All-Star opponent, how everybody was up in arms about what a bad idea THAT was because Mexican Nats could take free shots at US Nats without fear of retribution and blah blah blah blah.

A lot of the criticism of Chivas USA starts with jingoism (or its worse, better-known big brother). The fact they have not been a successful business has made it worse. Because not every business in America has to cater exclusively to White America. That's the part that a segment of White America doesn't get.

It doesn't make American television look "minor league" when Univision is successful. And it doesn't have to make MLS look "minor league" to have a club with a Mexican flavor. It's when they are abjectly incapable of running a successful franchise that they look bad - and that's true, whether it's Chivas USA or the MetroStars.

edwardgr repped this.
  17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think you're making one jump that wasn't there for most of Chivas' critics. it wasn't that they had a Mexican flavor that most objected to. that would have been fine. It was that they were seen, rightly or not, as a defacto minor league squad to the Guad mothership that was the big problem. And the way Vergera and the Cue's ran them simply reinforced that. I think that why you don't see as much criticism of NYCFC yet. So far they seem to be indicating they'll operate at worst as a sister team, not a neglected subordinate like CUSA has been.

As for the first point, I think you and I are agreeing, just phrasing it differently.

18. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Has anyone discussed the possibility of Televisa buying the club and rebranding them Club America USA? Hell, drop the word "Club" and launch the rebrand through a Super Bowl commercial and you've got gold, Jerry, gold.

19. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *not sure if you're serious…*

21. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like the name "Los Angeles Glory". It gives ideas for a new logo, I'll try and post later. For now there's an ideas for the "Los Angeles Diablos".

LA Diablos.png

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need goddamned directionals in soccer.

********ing Western NY Flash...

23. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England Revolution would be closer.

24. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Please take Firebirds first. No wants that name in ATL.