The Chivas USA Rebrand Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Knave, Feb 20, 2014.

1. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Move to Anaheim and call them Orange County F.C.
    Nickname L.A. Rams.

You are welcome.

2. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I believe the goal would be to have 2 successful teams in a major market. As we're talking about LA using that example is obvious isn't it? I don't think anyone wants to recreate the Clippers unless we're talking the Clippers of the last 3 years.

3. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For??

matbluvenger repped this.
  4. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orange County FC LA Rams of Anaheim, California, USA (OCFCLARACUSA for short)

You're welcome(?)

billf and Achowat repped this.
  5. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't think there is a large market of people who would follow MLS but for some reason won't follow the Galaxy. Geographically it might make sense, but you need to get further from Carson then Downtown.

I think what you will end up with is another Clippers, a laughing stock. To continue the NBA analogy what would you rather have another Clippers, a decidedly 2nd team in a big market? or a Spurs, a well supported team in a small market?

6. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Funny(?)!

7. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    In the NBA example, the Clippers. Donald Sterling terribly mismanaged the Clippers for years, kept them on one of the lowest payrolls, terrible product, not to mention some racist incidents. And still he managed to get solid revenues and get profits. That would be impossible in San Antonio. The Spurs missed the playoffs 5 times in almost 50 years, and they've been a top notch contender for the last 15 years, that's why they are so well supported. If they pulled a Sterling, I suspect they'd have no support.

But when it comes to MLS, I think it's a fair question.
    The Clippers were possible because of the Lakers. Lakers did all the work, made basketball super popular in LA, and that created enough lower budget fans / contrarians for Sterling to keep seats filled as well and make good money.
    That's not the soccer reality right now.

8. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This response gives me the impression that your name idea is real... and that is just downright hilarious.

9. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I just thought that your and the other guy's responses were weird. Did you really not get that it's a joke?

L.A. Rams were an NFL team by the way.

Anyway, it's all good.

10. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooh.... oh. Gotcha.

This is bigsoccer. I've seen much much dumber ideas be taken quite seriously.

11. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #261 USFootiefan1980, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    I got that it was a "joke," I just didn't think it was a funny one, and the whole saying "you're welcome" before being thanked (or doing anything worth be thanked for) thing is a pet peeve.

12. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    #262 chungachanga, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    "You are welcome" is sarcastic like the rest of that post. It means that there's nothing to thank for.

13. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I'm just saying I highly doubt MLS is going to sell the team to an owner like Don Sterling. Don Sterling is a guy content to ride the profits of TV revenue etc and never actually spend to win. I guarantee you he actually hates paying to win right now. He's being pressured to do so. As I have always said I bet MLS is looking for a Robb Heinemann style owner who is a young, enthusiastic billionaire willing to spend his money to transform the team. I fully expect them to take the onus off the Galaxy and refocus it on themselves. It is an incredibly smart marketing strategy. So I guess I should say I would bet in 10 years AEG just looks like the chumps throwing out a team in the suburbs and Chivas...or their new moniker...is the dynamic team in LA. I doubt the Galaxy will draw worse than they do now...but they're not selling out every game either. New owner is going to be dealing with better TV money, better branding and the ability to do their own thing. Ghosts of Chivas can be erased much like the Wizards.

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  14. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not saying they are going to sell to a Donald Sterling either. At least I hope not. Just not sure where those new fans are going to come from? You can do all the marketing campaigns you want but at the end of the day you are selling MLS soccer, a product that has already existed in the market and in the most high profile way (by MLS standards). So without just cannibalizing Galaxy support who are your potential new fans?

Are they....
    people who don't know what MLS is (pretty small group particularly as potential fans)
    Soccer fans who don't follow MLS (what would this new team offer that Galaxy doesn't?)
    Mexican fans (the golden dream of MLS yet to be pulled off)

another group of fans I am missing?

15. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #265 USFootiefan1980, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    I think having an engaged owner, willing to really invest in the team, is a great place to start. Second, there was a team when the team was drawing 14-17K. Surprise! That was when the team was ACTUALLY GOOD, so having a team that is competitive and could win in this league is also important, I really don't think I can stress how important being a winning team is at this point. Lastly, having a brand that everyone can get behind will be a big help, dumping the Chivas brand will take care of that.

Also, I find it interesting that you don't think that LA2 could win over Galaxy fans. During Chivas' better times, there were plenty of people that jumped over from the Galaxy, and then jumped back when the team nose dived. A winning team with a better identity, rather than that of an off-shoot from a Mexican club, will surely win over some Galaxy fans, especially some of the more fair-weathered ones.

16. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you already have all of these in the Galaxy?

I am not arguing that there were some pretty fundamental issues with Chivas (name, same stadium, bad owners crappy team) that if corrected should make the new re-brand more successful. But with a number of cities crying out for expansion you have to offer more than that to justify a second team. And I still don't see where fans of LA2 would be coming from? Do you?

The only 2 scenarios that make sense to me are....
    Move to an entirely different area of the LA area. North would make the most sense, maybe the Valley, or Inland Empire. Problem is how many people living in those areas who are not going to MLS games now would go if the stadium was closer? I am sure there are a few but enough to build a franchise on? Don't see it.

Make it the "Chicano" team. Basically try the Chivas strategy again but not having the connection to Chivas thus alienating, America, Pumas, Cruz Azul... etc fans. Would only work if the team was really integrated in the community. People in the community really felt like this team represented them and spoke to them. Problem, that is a really hard thing to do from the top down. How as a league do you foster a community spirit in a team? It has to be organic. Again don't see it happening.

So I ask again short of "marketing" where are the fans going to come from?

17. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I don't think they're going to leach Galaxy fans to LA2.

I'm using KC as an example. A team that had been in the market for years yet couldn't draw due to many factors. Now they're one of the best draws in the league.

It's pretty easy. LA has 18 million people living in the metro area. There are plenty of factors as to why Chivas has failed. The main one being they tried to market specifically to the Mexican community whilst being named after a team a lot of Mexican soccer fans hate to their very core. It's like someone moving to Glasgow, starting a new soccer team meant to be for the Londoners living in Glasgow and then naming them Tottenham-Glasgow and wondering why a lot of the Londoners hate them to their core. To be really honest the Galaxy is supported by soccer moms. ACB and LARS are fine and ACB is growing like crazy but that isn't what is filling their stadium. It is still full of soccer moms and their kids. A new LA franchise has the opportunity to really do something different. The right marketing, a fresh start with a new stadium and rebranding...Galaxy still gets the suburbs and LA2 gets the young.

We're talking about an International city with 18 million people living in it. Because Chivas failed does not mean someone smart will. From experience in marketing I would bet most in LA don't even know Chivas exists.

Don't get me wrong...it's going to be a typical LA club. They'll be fickle when they're losing and turn out when they're winning...but the sponsorship dollars for a club in LA more than make up for any lack of motivation from the fan base. Galaxy could sell half the tickets they do now and still command 4x as much in sponsorship dollars as the Columbus Crew even if the crew were selling out every game. Hell Portland sells out every game and has a crazy fan base and still doesn't have the sponsorship leverage LA has. Nobody would buy that franchise and move it to a small market.

It's not like anyone realistically expects Miami to be a banging turn out all the time. Still it's the 5th biggest media market in the US and if they can toss up some flash people will show just like sponsors will...because they're shallow...just like people in LA.

USFootiefan1980 and chungachanga repped this.
  18. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^This. So much. All of it.

19. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What specific strategies do you think will turn people who have already had a chance to be MLS fans and aren't, into MLS fans? What specific differences between LA2 and Galaxy that will allow LA2 to thrive?

Or is this just about sponsorship and exposure ?

20. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    What do you people think of the Galaxy moving to downtown and selling Home Depot or whatever it's called to Chivas. USA.

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I believe it's highly unlikely. So unlikely, in fact, that it's not even worth discussing.

22. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I didn't know you lived in. LA.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    For more than a decade I did.

24. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Quoting for truth.

25. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Club:
    Everton FC
    #1 Branding
    #2 marketing
    #3 location

Those are the 3 main components that Chivas has failed miserably at. Galaxy have 2 of them down. With a better location Galaxy would have a lot more season tickets and probably sell out a lot more games than they do.