The Canaries vs Liverpool FC - EPL - April 20 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Wingtips1, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was the biggest concern whenever we approached the final third. The two of them don't convince in running beyond the most forward player. Gerrard would almost certainly buried that Lucas chance.

In so saying, Norwich played its collective socks off, and given the results of the last five days, I'll take this. Remember we have won 11 games in a row, in a league with virtually no gimmes. By so doing we have reached the primary objective of the season which was to get back in to the Champions League. Now, the next stage in this year's long march.

Wingtips1 and liverbird repped this.
  2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sterling MOTM again. Two goals and an assist but also when we needed to lock down and retain the ball BR moved him in the middle

Luis -- took the one goal well and should have had another but I think he would rather drift than lead the line and was guilty of letting them keep possession

Johnson -- the worst player on the pitch on either side, terrible.

Flannagan -- has a hard time with big thuggy wings. But ********ing Snodgrass should have seen red in the first half.

Mingolet -- great shot stopper but he is shit in the air and his distribution is very poor under pressure. Needs to work on both

I thought both center backs did very well.

The Captain had to spend most of his time helping defend. Which he did very well. Missed Jordan.

Lucas is Lucas. Not a great runner and shit in attack but he did win a number of challenges

Allen started on fire but faded in the second half. Just not used to 90 minutes. I thought it was a good return to the team

Coutinho --- just not a good day, not poor but he had trouble with their thugs.

Two good subs by BR. Agger settled down the middle and Moses let Raheem go into the middle and actually fought to hold the ball up.

Norwich used to be slow and clueless. With the new manager they are still slow but they now kick everything that moves and they worked to try and beat us through the air. But for Raheem it might have worked. And to think the wee lad is only 19. I hope his passport is in order because he has to be going to Brasil

ryered, usscouse, asitis and 1 other person repped this.
  3. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brendan Rodgers: "Raheem Sterling is arguably the best young player in European football at the moment”

4. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No arguments here.

aw072760 repped this.
  5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would not move Gerrard. He can no longer do the amount of running required to play in those advanced midfield roles. Rodgers expects those players to make runs into the box and still be back in position to defend. Henderson has done is brilliantly, and I thought Allen was superb in the first half. As LB said, he faded as the game went on. It was a stroke of genius by BR to put Gerrard in that role in the first place, and that isn't going to change now. I think that with Sturridge back against Chelsea, Coutinho will move back into midfield with Lucas moving back to the bench.

Epic performance from Raheem today. We really struggled to create chances. All 3 goals were down to excellent and at times brilliant play from Sterling. Without his work, I don't know where the goals would have come from today.

This was similar to City's game against Sunderland midweek. We got the early goal(s) and then started to lose control of the game. The only difference being that we ended up getting the result. Some may call it resilience, some may call it luck, and others may call it destiny.

We go again on Sunday. Bring on Chelski. Make us dream.

Twenty26Six and aw072760 repped this.
  6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    10 league goals and counting.

Steve Wilson, the BBC's Northwest football commentator (a closet Everton fan if there ever was one) rightly commented "... if he could goals to his game ... because at the moment he doesn't quite convince." Now we have goals and what a player we have.

7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So much credit should go to the manager. He took a player with lots of raw talent and molded him into a world class footballer, and hes still only 19. Can't wait to watch him continue to learn from the manager and develop his game.

He's also England's best hope this summer, although Roy probably doesn't realize it.

8. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second half was more stressful than it should have been, but they held on for the win.

Walk on...

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... but to maximise his (and the other skilful players') assets, Hodgson will have to play the way Liverpool is playing. Fat chance-- he'll ask the fullbacks to feed the monkey and hope for the best.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A priority for the summer, apart from strengthening of the playing staff, must surely be the recruitment of a decent goal-keeping coach. Achtberg, how ever he is a person, does not seem to be improving his charges.

11. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We had the memorial service this week, which was really touching and there was hope for the families there as well.

"I used some words of Margaret Aspinall - we put them up on the wall. She talked about stress and how it can prove difficult for you, but it can also offer you great determination to fight.

"Those were the words that we gave the players before the game today. This is a club that is one club at this moment in time, and we're all fighting to achieve the ultimate goal."

12. hoffa989

hoffa989 Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Johnson and Lucas on that right side... terrible, both ways.
    Škrtel with his trademark headers, clearences, tackles, and penalty-worthy moves - this guy slowly turns into my favourite player at the moment!
    Sakho will give me nightmares.
    Allen started good, ended meh... he neither smells not stinks at the moment, but I have confidence he'll do his job in the next 2 games.
    Suarez did good on his goal, got in a few more good chances but wasted one big one and another big one by giving it to Lucas. He didn't need that rolling around in the second half... I guess it's a miracle of Easter day since he jumped on his feet again when Allen won the ball.

All in all, good performance when we wanted to play. After 2-0 we closed down the game (after 15 minutes?!) and were punished for it. Snapped out, started playing and scored 2 or 3 attacks later. Stopped playing again and conceeded another one. After a few more attacks we could have gotten another one in if someone else besides Lucas took the shot. Being 3 points ahead of City (I'm counting their 34th and 35th game as a win, just to be sure), we should have and could have, to be honest, gone for a good goal difference that would ensure our 1st place.
    But I understand that we probably didn't want to risk any injuries with such a thin bench. Good 3 points, the result was somewhat expected, but I didn't think that we would cause most of the problems for us.

13. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think we can just count Man City's remaining matches as automatic victories. They have to play @Selhurst and @goodison. I think that of our challengers they have the hardest remaining schedule.

Three Cup Finals left...

Chelsea to Anfield, what time is this one? Hopefully at a decent time unlike this week or last?

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9am

15. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still nervous as hell about Chelski and this match did little to convince me otherwise. With that said, take the points and run. Biggest match since Istanbul next week.

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's been that way all season, mate and I think it will be like this all the way. Think back to West Ham, Stoke and Cardiff away, Sunderland and Man City at home to mention just a few examples.

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Palace are mathematically safe at this point. I hope they don't ease off against Citeh but do so against us...

18. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Another 3 points to the tally and looking good.

Their first goal was crap wasn't it. Mingolet had to come out, it was obvious to him that Martyn was going to be beaten in the air by the man with momentum but a lousy punch caused the goal.

As per usual the ref was crap, I thought "shit! He'll give 2 yellows for game delay but not for two footed potential leg breaking tackles.

Anyway time to move onwards and upwards. We need to beat the Chavs and Mourine the mouth. Going to be fun waiting for his pre-match remarks. Everton NEED to take points from Citeh to go ahead of the Arse for a CL chance.
    Our scariest position would be to play the last match needing 3 points.

The league is still as tight as a frogs arse.

el-capitano and Twenty26Six repped this.
  19. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started well and played alright, but Norwich was fighting for their lives.

Suarez was too isolated. He missed Hendo as much as anyone, bc Jordan's presence allows Suarez to press higher up the pitch without being alone.

Skrtel and Sterling were immense.

We go again.

el-capitano repped this.
  20. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    Well, part of enjoying the game is the football anxiety that it generates. We're winning and we're having fun!

I'd much rather be a nervous wreck than feel that awful numbness of the last few years. Another close game with lots of goals next week against the plastics, isn't too much to ask.

Happy Easter everyone! :)

21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know something 26, in the event we win the title, our first match next season against, say, Leicester will generate the same amount of angst. I think we must just enjoy the ride and forget about being in total control. After all, the last time we had control we had 11 draws an missed out on the championship.

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way skrtel was clearing everything today - I'm not sure Migs had any need to come for that ball. Worse still - he had a free shot at it as skrtel ducked to avoid getting in his way (yeah Migs got kicked in the leg by the Norwich player) - but flat out screwed up the punch.

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #273 usscouse, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Just to bring focus back on the comms. Yes you know me, credit where credit is due. My favourite "Colour Man" lately has been Graeme La Saux. Late of Chelsea and Butt (No pun intended) of Fowlers nasty humour. Called the Manure game today.
    He tempers his on field player comments with tactical nous and refrains from personal, snide attacks on players.

This man however, a man just named as one of the ESPN crew to Brazil. The man who totally embarrassed himself and his station during the very first match of the African WC by not understanding the basic '2 man' offside law that every school kid learns. The man that today says: "Suarez has been looking for a place to "Go down for a free kick or PK" for a while. Then his partner mentions and the replay shows that Suarez' shins took a raking so he attempts snide tactic.

Let me nominate the "TWAT of the Day" efan ekoku A washed up non entity as a player who has wrapped his football knowledge in the three words "Not good enough for me" When he wasn't good enough to play on a major team....well there was Brenford.
    Oh yes, Born in Manchester....!

[​IMG]

How was Liverpool's diamond midfield tactic today Effing? Not good enough for me. Sterling tripped in the box "No contact, not good enough for me"
    And no appeal either arsehole!

End of rant...!!!

Twenty26Six, aw072760 and liverbird repped this.
  24. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd agree if it wasn't Newcastle at home. They have been utter crap and are on the beach already.

burning247 repped this.
  25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    And now back to the game. After the start and the 2 goals within 10 minutes our formation changed dramatically.

We went to a back three, Gerrard in the middle. With Skirt and Sacho wide, really wide of him. The 2 full backs went as marauding wingers.

That's when the shit started to pile up on us. Johno had the worst match I think I've seen him play and we suffered with them getting in behind him. Brought constant pressure on our back three.
    Flanno had mixed results. He thought he was Ronaldo out there at times and looked as if he was having fun. But again they utilized that space behind him with more pressure on our back line.

A case of having no plan B? A case of not going back to a winning tactic? Or just trying to make the best of a bad switch by not admitting that it wasn't working.

Either way, I will be emailing BR with my match analysis today.