News: The Bob Bradley Thread (4 year extension)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by The Urban Legend, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeastFootball

MeastFootball New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Bob Bradley gets 4-year extension...incredible

So it's cheating to play within the rules of the game, get rightfully punished, and reward a team with a PK, which should be an easy goal? Hmm... I guess Luis Suarez will just let the ball go by him next time to let his team get knocked out of the WORLD CUP with a place in the SEMIS on the line. Because the first thing he should have thought about in that situation was do whatever it takes to benefit the other team... I wonder sometimes if some of the posters on this forum have ever actually played soccer...

As for Bradley, I've never been a fan of international coaches staying on for another cycle. They always seem to burn out in the second cycle, no matter their amount of success in the first cycle. Despite that, I am wishing the best of luck to him, because we are stuck with him one way or the other.

2. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA06Z5e1ZFc"]YouTube- Epic Facepalm Compilation[/ame]

3. BoomBall27

BoomBall27 New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Suarez should be a National hero in his country, he did what he needed to do. Ghana needs to stop whining, if you have a beef, nail the PK! And 4 more years of Bradley just plain sucks!! Aspire to mediocrity!

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

I am so pissed. BB did ok but we need someone new. We wont get better under BB

5. sjclash

sjclash Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Oklahoma

Mikey is going to have the greatest national team career of any player ever with daddy in charge again.

You can also add in Bornstein, Clark, Boca, and Findley. Sh*t Bob let's make this a good old boys party and bring back Ching, Casey, and Sacha as well.

Bob has major job security when he can barely do his job and not fail, and gets a pat on the back, a probable pay raise, and a contract extension even when there are better candidates for the same job out there.

Is the USMNT going to become the unemployment agency for managers who can't find a job like Bob? No wonder they can't hire one good coach, they have to support all of the losers who can't get a gig.

One last thing. What in the hell was Sunil doing all of this time? The world cup was coming up and you know second term managers suck and it might be a good time to start checking out possible replacements for the job, but no, I guess he felt that it would be better to wait until after the World Cup and then wait a few more months before going "F**k it, I guess we have to hire somebody. Hey, lets do nothing and keep Bob, it's not like we're going to get fired for not doing our jobs and being total f**k ups."

6. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Michael Bradley will be the all-time minutes played leader when it's all said and done.

7. gibroni

gibroni BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 2, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Put me in the THIS SUCKS camp. Bob's guys will be past their prime in 2014. Another thing I dislike is that the team will be molded around Mikey. Not that he's a bad player, but how will we know if he's been surpassed by another player? Torres, Feilhaber, Edu, Holden, and even Adu have to settle for PT when Mikey's not available. There are plenty of guys who deserve a chance but won't get it because Bob needs some quality time with his boy.

8. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's to watching predictability for the next four years.

I hear players from all over the world talk about how their federations are corrupt and horrible. Sad thing is, ours is just as bad; just not as overt.

Sunil is an elitist fat-cat who has to be accountable to no one except for a few people above him who only require $$.

9. don't_tread_011

Feb 5, 2009
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well considering it was going into the goal, and the clock was at 120 min, his punishment was essentially zero. Sure he played within the rules, and technically got punished by being sent off, but you can't deny the fact that Ghana had that game in the bag if Suarez didn't fall to that. Of course Ghana should have put the penalty away, but come on, don't act like they didn't get screwed. Suarez essentially received no penalty for that act because regulation time was up. It only benefitted Uruguay, without real repercussion. Ghana could have have taken the same approach... game on the line, place in the SEMIS... you get the point.

As to whether other posters here have played soccer (aimed at me obviously), quit trying to assume the "I know all because I play the game" role. I could easily take the same stance, I've been playing since I could walk. I just choose to not advertise it.

Thanks.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 more years of Bob is final nail in the coffin for Adu's national team aspirations

so i saw bob got rehired on for four years, and after i read that i thought.....how can i inflict as much pain and suffering as humanly possible to portray my dismay, and it hit me.....start another freddy adu thread!

As such, if other events that have transpired havent sealed the deal, this sure as heck did. MAYBE get one last hurrah with the Olympic team as far as nats aspirations go, but now with all that time at Aris left to sit and ponder......how can i get things in motion to get MLS to get a transfer in for me? He can be a solid MLS pro, that much i am sure, but even the most diluted freddy supporters must surely see this as his USMNT epitaph.

yes i put a kitten in a microwave as deemed necessary by bigsoccer gods. and it smells like pain and suffering

11. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

guess we're getting 4 more years of, www.firebobbradleynow.com as well.

12. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 4 more years of Bob is final nail in the coffin for Adu's national team aspirations

You're a cruel man :D

13. Lone C

Lone C Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Going to the final of the Confederations Cup while knocking off Spain, winning the Gold Cup, winning the qualifying group, and advancing out of the group at the World Cup is barely doing his job?

It was the most successful four years of U.S. soccer, even with the disappointment in not going further in the World Cup. There are reasons to prefer another coach for the next World Cup cycle but foaming at the mouth and crying isn't going to convince anyone on this site that you have anything useful to add toward that argument.

14. mwojt21

mwojt21 Member

May 22, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You just contradicted yourself twice. Bottom line is Suarez committed a penalty, got punished, and then Gyan blew the chance to win it.

15. don't_tread_011

Feb 5, 2009
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am saying that TECHNICALLY he played within the rules and got sent off. But the guy got sent off in stoppage time in EXTRA TIME. He basically served no punishment in that match, nor did his team have to play a man down. Is this really that hard to understand?

16. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre

Happiest guy on the squad?

Coach's son.

Another 4 years of watching the grinder chase the ball around and another 4 years of "there's simply no one else available to play inside mid."

17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Bradley has got a lot out of somewhat limited "talent" and I doubt any coach/manager in the world would do much better. If Bornstein is your "best option" at left back you're fcuked mate regardless of who's coaching you.

18. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not thrilled, but I'm not unhappy, either. Not at all.

I think many believe that a better coach would get dramatically better results from the US talent pool. I disagree. We are making progress in world football but we are going to have to develop better players before we get to the next level.

We just don't have many (any?) world class players. Bradley has been able to get very respectable results with what he's had available.

Just look at the clubs our players play for. Not many are on elite teams, and of those who are few get significant playing time. Still, we've made huge progress in the last 10-20 years and I fully expect to see Americans begin to land starting spots on UEFA Champions League clubs in the not-too-distant future.

I think Bradley will do as good a job in finding young talent and continuing the program's progress as any coach we could have gotten.

And what's more, I'm sure he'll knows about all the naysayers out there. He doesn't talk much but he's a competitive motherf&%ker. I'll think he'll be fired up to prove you all wrong.

19. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mikey is going to have that great national team career b/c of the work he's putting on the pitch. The only thing worse then reading 4 more years of "fire Bradley" topics is the nepotism argument being brought up by irrational posters.

Bornstein- unfortunately our LB option is pretty thin, and Bornstein really only got PT when injuries opened up the position. Later in the cycle, when demerit, gooch and Boca were all healthy Bornstein was a sub at best. But when Gooch and Demerit went lame with injuries, the LB spot was open. Who would you start??

Clark- to be fair Clark was solid in 2009 and only disappointing Pre-WC friendlies and WC.

Boca- i dont understand why people rag on him. Honestly who would we play over him?

Findley- note that Findley only was brought up to replace Davies. A specific role was given to open up the defense. Personally i didnt think he'd make the WC roster, let alone play. Unfortunately i do suspect he'd get call ups again.

Ching and Casey- while not particular the best options, our striker pool is rather thin... personally i think its Jozy, Buddle, Gomez, and insert random bench striker. Best hope that either Davies recovers or a random striker emerges.

20. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

>.<

21. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose

On the bright side, this means another 4 years of not watching what the USMT does so I can focus on more important things, like laundry.

22. mwojt21

mwojt21 Member

May 22, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is the last I'll say about this, because this is obviously not the correct thread for this debate....

I understand exactly what you're saying, but that doesn't negate the fact that the penalty kick given WAS part of the punishment against Uruguay for the handball. Don't take the responsibility off Ghana for failing to take advantage of their FANTASTIC opportunity to win a game that you admitted was played within the rules (which again hurts your "cheating" argument).

Back to the topic at hand, the extension of Bradley is just going to bring 4 more years of mediocrity to a program in dire need of an overhaul (from the top down). Just because the status quo meets our moderate expectations, does that mean that U.S. Soccer shouldn't aspire to take more ambitious steps forward???

23. HooInLondon

HooInLondon New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    London

Arena did more with less in the 2002 cycle. Bradley's solid; he's competent. But I don't think your statement is true at all. Even if it was true, you can't overlook the fact he had the deepest, most talented player pool in US soccer history, including the best American field player in the modern era in his prime carrying this team. I know Bradley apologists like to highlight the weaknesses of the player pool, but you can't do that AND gloss over the clear strengths. Bottom line, Bradley got the team out of a weak group, as expected. When presented with a once-in-generation, even once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to advance to the semis (I'm willing to put loads of cash on me NEVER in my lifetime seeing the likes of Ghana and Uruguay being the only thing between the US and the semis) he blew it.

This is a mistake.

24. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

my opinion:

i have always stated that i think the USMN coaching cycle should be limited to 1 cycle. My concern, which is the concern of a few here, is that we my become stale or predictable. Bob is going to have to adapt and alter his tactics if he wants similar success. Yes, what we witnessed this past cycle was a success.

personally, i was hoping for new blood. But hopefully Bob will alter his play

25. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 4 more years of Bob is final nail in the coffin for Adu's national team aspirations

I feel worse than losing to Ghana twice in the World Cup. Amazing!!!!