News: The Bob Bradley Thread (4 year extension)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by The Urban Legend, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Bob Bradley gets 4-year extension...incredible

Giving Bradley an extension is the right move.

2. don't_tread_011

Feb 5, 2009
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Luis Suarez ring a bell?

Anyways, I don't see why people are raging at this decision by the USSF. At the end of the day, we've got a coach who is a great motivator, got great quality out of what he had to work with, and finished top of the hex. Not to mention second place in the Confed Cup. In my opinion he's the best we've had. People need to calm down and realize it's not exactly a cake walk to secure the coaching rights to someone like Jurgen Klinnsman. When we were talking to Klinsi, it might have been much of the same as far as the discussion went, compared to 2006. Not being able to get the players when he wanted, pay wasn't what he wanted, direction of the program, etc.

Some people just need to learn to take it easy with this decision. You all are acting like we just announced the signing of some high school coach.

3. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok, seriously people we all need to chill on the BB hating. I know no one will be 100% happy with any coach but people who actually believe we had Kilnnsman in the bag are probably people who believe the Moon landing was faked or that the boogeyman actually exists.

Bob did a good job with the players he had. And he did something Bruce did not do, he won a WC group. Was it the hardest? No. But he did so w/o losing. We did not have a gaff game like we did against Poland in 02 or Czech in 06. We played till the final whistle in every game (we just forgot to play from the starting whistle).

Is Bob the best USMNT manager in history? Only time will tell. Do I agree with him being hired for another 4 years? No, I think it's a good thing to change NT managers after every cycle. But he does know what he is doing and you have to give him credit for that.

Who else would you have taken besides Findley and Buddle? And excuse him for trying to replicate the Davies/Altidore pairing w/another fast, athletic player. Clark was a mistake, yes, but I also remember an 07 GC where BB brought Clark on and he helped us lift a trophy.

Sorry we don't have good enough players yet to be as good as we think we are. But don't criticize a man who gave us a very good WC run. And probably the most exciting ever.

4. soccerballz1

soccerballz1 New Member

May 15, 2004
    so cal

we will win a few friendlies against swaziland and india and perhaps san marino...maybe even shock a world power along the way in some meaningless competition.....we'll continue to get scored on in the first few minutes of every match and make a few grand comebacks....our strikers will continue to be inept and the laughing stock of the world (unless mike sorber can sort them all out).....and then we will lose miserably in 2014.

what a bitter disappointment for USMNT fans everywhere. gulati is a complete and utter fool, and it is clear that bradley does not have our national team's best interest at heart, but only his own inflated ego. what a shame for soccer in the USA.

okay, bob, take altidore and gomez out on the soccer field and show them everything you can about being a world class striker. it took me longer to write this post than it would for you to show them anything "world-class." who cares if bradley enjoys his job and that he's very happy? isn't this supposed to be about the USMNT and not about any one person?

the demise of our national team will be the legacy of sunil gulati and bob bradley.

5. The Fischer King

The Fischer King New Member

Jul 14, 2008

This is precious. Please, "soccerballz" do keep on seething. :)

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

run, don't walk, to the nearest pharmacy. We just came in 12th at WC 2010. Did I just wake up from a 20 year nap where we won the whole thing twice before WC 2010?

7. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think maybe you don't know what a National Team head coach's job description is.

8. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC

HORRIFIC decision.

A second cycle is rarely a good decision with a good coach, much less someone of RoboBob's ability.

This will set the program back. Think of Bruce's second cycle but worse.

9. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be fair, this story made home-page news of Fifa.com today. First story when you get to the site. When is the last time a non-game related story has put the USA on that level?

10. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who gives a shit, only you people who are loyal to Sideshow Bob only remotely care. The demise of the USMNT has begun and it all starts with Sideshow Bob's Contract extention.

11. boliviankidd622

Apr 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you know...if you take away all the media attention from the cup..i'd consider the SOCCER we played particularly ugly..

hey we tied england with some luck..tied slovenia after going down 2-0(could of been prevented)..and decided to go for a last minute winner against algeria to get ESPN to rlly pay attention to the world cup..there are some nice memories no doubt buut i feel that BB with the USMNT held them back b/c by 2014 we'll have more talent but with his amatuer tactics we'lll go nowhere..

we need a real coach!..he doesnt have to be american

12. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fifa has one exclusive interview a month. Otherwise that site is useless.. No one checks that for daily news

13. Beserkr29

Beserkr29 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Bradley's rehiring is simply the best hedge bet the federation could make at this time. They don't want a revamping of a poor system, that much is clear with Klinsmann's reburffs. They don't want to establish a vision for the future beyond "not sucking". Bradley's done that. He's pushed the US a little further on the road to being good, but not in a manner that will wow you. His defense has been in shambles ever since the Brazil meltdown in the Confed Cup. Before that, we played pretty well on the defensive side, except for a beatdown every now and then by Brazil (4-2 friendly, 3-0 group stage, 3-2 CC final after US put in 2 before half). What this does is simply show that the USSF likes the plodding approach. We do have prospects in the pipeline (Ruelas, Boss, Lichaj, Lletget, etc.) that have come along since MLS has gotten its act together. We're slowly performing more consistently. But there's always room to improve. And Bradley coming back just means more of the same. Hopefully, Jozy can find his scoring touch (unlikely at Villareal, since he doesn't start) and Charlie Davies can get back to his old form (possible), so we can move past this striker drought. Defensively, we'll be transitioning for a long time, which would happen with another coach as well. It'll be a rough couple of years, because we're rapidly approaching the 2010 Italy stage of our teams development. Our squad, especially our best performers, is aging and could very well be a shade of their current selves 4 years from now. Our central midfield has been a revolving door at LCM (Clark, Torres, Edu all starting at various times during the WC itself). Only Dempsey and Donovan provide offensive threats in the run of play, unless MB is high enough on the pitch to help out. A lot of changes have to be made, and Bradley staying on is the only stable thing for the USMNT right now. Besides, he has a 4 year deal, it doesn't mean that he'll coach for 4 years.

14. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow... I was merely pointing out the fact this was considered "world-worthy news" by FIFA. This isn't the first on USSoccer.com or ESPN.com, but FIFA.com. That's saying something. Sorry if it's not the most exciting thing ever, but I think it's noteworthy.

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or you could completely ignore the fact that we should have beat Slovenia 3-2 and Algeria 2-0 if we had a real ref show up to those games.

16. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right that all managers make mistakes. Wrong on the exception; I think del Bosque didn't use Fabregas enough. He was fortunate that it didn't end up costing him (as it might have, dearly, had Robben connected on one of his opportunities in the final).

17. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007

Good Lord. Where does this sort of thing come from? It's just so over the top and bizarre. Yet it's clear that you mean it. You, and a not-insignificant number of others, truly think this way.

There's a great doctoral thesis sitting there waiting to be written about the psychology and sociology behind the hate-Bradley phenomenon. It's truly fascinating on some level. I mean, it's utterly ridiculous. But it's fascinating.

18. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it's a combination of impatience and the typical U.S. soccer inferiority complex.

19. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

I'd say the only inferiority complex belongs to USSF and Sunil Gulati. This shows resignation, a complete lack of ambition.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

or lunacy.

21. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC

Hopefully we get a real coach in 2015. This is horrible news for the future of US Soccer.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

you were interrupting a seizure. Just get out of the way, and make sure they do not swallow their tongues.

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When the mods saw this news that sound you heard was a collective facepalm. I'm pretty sure they didn't want another 4 years of this either.

24. paraider5

paraider5 Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Bethlehem, PA

What is even better about all this, is that so many people care now. I can't remember being this embedded into our coaching rumors ever before. Good sign for the sport. Now Bradley better win!

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I think the team should of got a new coach, sometimes a new coach can shake things up. oh well 4-4-2 for the next 4 years.;)