The Bitchin' Beer Thread [R] ( Vol.2 )

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by vilafria, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm going to Kansas City (Kansas city here I come) this weekend. any local beers I should check out? Going to be hanging out in the Westport area

2. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right, that's it. Shut it down, we're done here.

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I half-remember trying that in DC when you were over here. Of course, that was the same day we watched that Patriots game and starting taking tequila shots... so I'd have to try it again to recall how it tastes. I think I liked it though, but I don't remember all that much. :)

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Ahh yes. What was it again? One TD, no turnovers for the entire first half - pure punt-fest. With about 2.30 to go, we agree on something like a shot for every sack or fumble, 2 for every turnover, and 3 for every turnover... here is what happened, for anybody interested:

1-3-TB 3 (2:12) NE 68-Ashworth & 50-Vrabel eligible. C.Dillon right guard for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
    A.Vinatieri extra point is GOOD, Center-L.Paxton, Holder-J.Miller.
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 02:08
    A.Vinatieri kicks 75 yards from NE 30 to TB -5. E.Shepherd, Touchback.
    1-10-TB 20 (2:08) C.Simms pass incomplete to M.Pittman.
    2-10-TB 20 (2:04) M.Pittman left end to TB 22 for 2 yards (M.Vrabel, H.Poteat).
    Two-Minute Warning
    3-8-TB 22 (1:58) C.Simms pass to I.Hilliard to TB 44 for 22 yards (E.Wilson).
    1-10-TB 44 (1:32) (No Huddle) C.Simms sacked at TB 36 for -8 yards (M.Vrabel). FUMBLES (M.Vrabel), RECOVERED by NE-W.McGinest at TB 41. W.McGinest to TB 22 for 19 yards (A.Smith). PENALTY on NE-W.McGinest, Illegal Forward Pass, 5 yards, enforced at TB 22.
    New England Patriots at 01:16
    1-10-TB 27 (1:16) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass to D.Branch to TB 19 for 8 yards (D.Brooks).
    2-2-TB 19 :)50) (No Huddle) K.Faulk up the middle to TB 16 for 3 yards (C.Hovan, E.Wyms).
    1-10-TB 16 :)32) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass to D.Givens for 16 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
    A.Vinatieri extra point is GOOD, Center-L.Paxton, Holder-J.Miller.

10 shots in 132 seconds of play :eek:. IIRC we called it off at half-time, and the game died on it's arse after that. Irony's a sonofabitch. But by that time €50 showed up and the wheels just came off. :D

5. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    [​IMG]

good stuff

6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    obviously, if you're in kc, boulevard is the beer of choice, but i think that might be available in chicago anyway. if you're in westport, i'd recommend hitting up mccoy's. they only serve their own brews there, so don't go there looking for a guinness. they have their own stout, oatmeal stout, i believe. my favorite of theirs is hogpound brown. they also do some cask conditioned beer depending on the time of year, i think. if you're lucky enough to be there at the right time, wee willie's scottish ale is fantastic. it's a little pricier and you don't get as much, but still.

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orkney makes some good beers. My personal favorite is Skull Splitter.

8. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    i've seen Skull Splitter in some select stores, but found the RMcG only at the Brickskeller in DC

9. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fraoch also by Legends/Orkney is a beer that you have to be in the mood for, it definitely has a floral/weeds taste, but it's good on occasion.

10. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bought me a bottle of this yesterday:

[​IMG]

I'm kind of scared to drink it, not because of the style or anything, but because it cost $12 for a .33 liter bottle. I guess I've paid a lot for some bottles in the past but they were bombers and I felt like I was getting some value for the money. Anyway, Old Engine Oil is great so, hopefully, this lives up to the price.

EDIT - The bottle I bought was the 12 year, not the 30 year, but this was the best picture available.

11. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Have you tried Anchor Liberty Ale? If you like Cascade hops, it's outstanding. It helps if you can find it on tap. The aroma has alot to do with it. You need a wide mouth glass for that.

12. CroatiaCannuck

CroatiaCannuck New Member

Aug 17, 2008
  13. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tried it last night on tap, was not impressed. It tastes kinda like a poor man's Fuller's London Pride. It's really hoppy but malty and sweet at the same time. I can see that they were trying to copy an English style ale but those tend to be either hoppy or malty not both at the same time.

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    [​IMG]

Tasty Toronto brew...

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    one of the better octoberfest beers I have had this year

16. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    They don't have that one araound here. I love Paulaner in all shapes, colors, and sizes too. :)

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Anyone else notice that the oktoberfest beers seem to vary in flavor from year to year although made by the same brewery? Does anyone know if brewmasters use the same recipe year after year or is say a 2008 Paulaner Oktberfest made from a different recipe than a 2007 Paulaner Oktoberfest.

18. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's cool that you found it. I haven't seen it yet. It hasn't been getting the best reviews from consumers so the journalists were maybe giving it too much credit or the beer in the press packs tasted different. The latter option is doubtful.

The beer should be the same every year, but the bottling and aging would affect flavor. I know Spaten released their Oktoberfest in green and brown bottles this year. Unfortunately, I only found the green bottles and the flavor is definitely not as good as it should be.

In terms of aging, a lot of stores will keep bottles on their shelves throughout the year even though they may only get one shipment and lagers shouldn't sit that long so that could lead to some major variations.

19. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    The Weihenstephan Fest Bier is quite nice. Not like any other Oktoberfest bier I have ever tried, in terms of color, and taste. But I'm liking it.

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they might use the same recipe but from year to year the ingredients will not taste the same. The weather has a lot to play into it. From what I understand this was not a good year for Hops over in Europe or in the states. You may have noticed some beer prices have gone up too. Fuel cost and the issue with the Hops are to blame. The brewmasters might also try and tweek their recipes from time to time but I doubt they do it alot

21. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I hadn't thought of this. As far the price of hops, blame the bio-fuel crap. Sure, bio-fuel is great ... if made with sugar cane or swamp grasses. The corn based stuff doesn't add up, but the government is giving so many incentives to corn growers, that a lot of hop (and grain) growers are now growing corn.

22. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not horrible, in fact it's probably the best AB product out there. The problem comes from the fact that this is a global market and they aren't just competing against Coors anymore. There are def. better beers out there that are just as easy to get. Hell, in my little podunk villiage of ˜2000 people I stock around 60 imports and micros, many of which are superior to American Ale.

23. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree about the ability to find better beers almost anywhere. I'm just really curious to see what AB thinks will pass as a beer that appeals to craft drinkers.

Honestly, I respect them for even trying to target the craft market because it validates the efforts of craft brewers but shouldn't hurt craft sales as no one in the market will permanently quit drinking real craft beers for an AB beer.

24. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    had some Boulevard. and thanks for the rec on McCoy's. went there on saturday night and then on sunday after the baseball game for some dinner. Great beer and great food!

25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good deal. i hesitated recommending the food there because sometimes they definitely have off-nights, and that can really ruin an overall impression. did you try different brews there or just stick with one?