The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    3 English teams reached the quarter finals of the UEFA Youth League. All were knocked out. Chelsea lost 3-1 at home to Schalke on Sunday, John Swift scoring the goal. Arsenal lost 4-2 away to Barca earlier with Akpom scoring one of the goals and Man City have just lost 2-1 at home to Benfica.

2. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Interesting comment from Niall Quinn about Wickham today - after he signed for Sunderland they expected him to work really hard on his game to improve but for the first year or so he was last in training and first out. Thinking he had already made it.

A tale we often hear about English youngsters.

3. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Your right but at least it looks like the penny has finally dropped with him and he is starting to make the most of his potential and surly that is the most important thing

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was merely reporting an interesting "insider" comment.

5. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arsenal with 1 English player in their 18 tonight. And that's Jenkinson on the bench. Newcastle not much better.

6. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

We have been a joke in that regard for a long time

7. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Obviously Gibbs, Wilshere, Walcott and Chamberlain are normally involved so credit there. Who from the academy looks like stepping up at all? Arsenal players are also fairly rare in England's youth squads too in comparison to other teams e.g. Chelsea, Man Utd.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Bellerin could well displace Jenkinson.

9. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I read somewhere that he's the most promising full back in Europe. I would hope Shaw has something to say about that though.

10. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Only Chuba Akpom looks like he could make the step up if given the chance

11. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know stats aren't everything, but he didn't score in any of his 10 games on loan in League One, half of them were starts.

12. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I never saw any of his games while he was on loan so I can't judge how well he played, but I still think he has potential, but I don't think he is as good as your player James Wilson who I really think could be a top player

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Crowley is a good talent

14. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's too many players that have world class potential for England not to have a world class team in the next 10 years, surely? We will lose some along the way as they don't live up to their promise but with Hart and Forster still being fairly young for keepers, then Woodman in the lower age groups, we should be set for keepers (Butland too). Shaw could soon be the best left back in the world and should be a world class left back for the next 10-15 years. In terms of centre-backs I can't think of any that supposedly have world class potential but Smalling, Jones, Caulker, Keane, Dier, Stones should be solid enough. Calum Chambers at right-back, then there's Moore and Kenny from the under-17s. If Wilson, Solanke and Armstrong carry on like they are then we should be set for strikers for the next 10 years. There's too many midfield options to name so I'll probably miss some but Wilshere, Barkley, Morrison, Hughes, Ward-Prowse, Carroll, Powell, Baker, Ibe, Loftus-Cheek, Pearson, Rothwell, Crowley, Colkett, Onomah, Cook, Roberts and Edwards we only need 3-4 of them to truly make it and we will have an amazing team.

15. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I honestly don't see many, if any, potentially world class players in there. Certainly none that I would be confident of reaching that level anyway. It's all well and good to list who we have, but it has to be looked at in the context of who everyone else has too. We laud our U21's, yet even a country like Italy that isn't know for giving youth a chance still has players like Verratti, El Shaarawy, Balotelli, De Sciglio, Insigne, Florenzi and the like to throw into the mix. We're still well behind most big football countries, and I think it'll be at least 10-15 years before we're top team.

What I will say on Stones though, is that I post fairly regularly on an English speaking Barca forum, where most fans are not English, and they talk about him very highly. Quite a few have said he's someone they'd like Barca to sign. Him and Dier I think could both have high ceilings.

16. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You don't think that Shaw, Wilshere, Barkley, Morrison, Roberts, Wilson could be world class??

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I would be surprised if any of them reached that level.

18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    don't agree, barkley has all the potential to be one of the best in Europe, sterling also.

I am pretty excited about stones, good cultured defender

19. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can you name some other young players from other countries that you think will be class?

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    im sure if the player is Spanish, Brazilian or Argentinian, he will find plenty

21. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At the ages of 18 and 20, Shaw and Barkley are already top performers in the Premier League. There's absolutely nothing to suggest they won't be able to become world class.

22. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Oliver Torres, Draxler, Timo Werner, Adama, Pogba, Verratti etc.

23. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apart from injury and with those two also there next club move is important because playing for the right manager who can get the best out of them is vital to there progression as players