The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed with the above in that I do believe a club could start at the bottom and work their way up but the issue would be the respective Leagues (when they reach that level) approving them

I think the non Leagues have taken kindly to the restart teams- AFC Wimbledon- but not sure it would be the same with a reserve side.

either way I am not sure this U21 League is really bridging the gap anywhere near as the intended idea.

2. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know why they moan so much. The u21s play their counterparts in the Premiership. They have introduced an u21 cup competition to get more competitiveness. But United refused to enter. Yet they still take part in the Lancashire Cup.

Nice one. They are bringing in promotion and relegation to the league to make it more competitive. And the clubs play the type of football THEY want. By the age of 19/20 a good player should be ready for someones first team. A real quality player shouldn't have much problem making the jump to first team football - take the Belgian lad. He's done better with the first team than with the youth sides.

3. MUFC1

MUFC1 Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's ok for the world class talents. But you still want hard working just very good players to break through and it's a big jump from U21s football to PL football. Rothwell and Pearson will find it difficult and if they do make it I think they'll have a few loan spells first. Clubs have to want to take the players, it takes the development of a player out of the parent clubs control.
    I don't agree with the way Uniteds youth system works, there seems a lot of stubborn traditionalism that prevents it going forward. The Lancashire Cup over the U21 cup is an example of that IMO.

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If clubs didn't send players out on loan the likes of Rothwell and Pearson probably wouldn't be getting a game for the u21s. United should look into why they play such a sterile type of football in the CL u19s and u21 league instead of moaning about the opposition. One has to wonder with the players who are not up to it, if they are really giving it their all to make it. Perhaps the players who don't make sufficient progress after two years should be turfed out. Bit Darwinian - but there's ********ing hundreds of em.

5. MUFC1

MUFC1 Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree with everything you said tbh. That's something I would like United to incorporate, but part of their mantra is that everyone has a chance and that gets taken too far sometimes. Uniteds style I agree is poor and it's what I was referring to when I talked about stubborn traditionalism. Without bashing all English coaches, Joyce is too English and old fashioned in everything and for the technical level present in Uniteds U19 group (which IMO is the best since the Morrison Pogba era). The man refuses to wear anything but shorts FFS. Then again, for me, Brentan Rogers is the only top class British coach around, let alone English. I cant help but wonder how good Scholes would have become if he had someone like Guardiola coaching him from a young age, it's frightening.

6. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  7. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wonder who the bright sparks are that arranged the Chelsea and Liverpool youth cup games for the same nights as massive Champions League games.

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Did anyone watch the Footballers' Football Show last night about youth development? I have it recorded is it worth a watch?

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I've not recorded it yet, but it's usually very tedious. It's almost as if that is the intention. I can give you a shout tomorrow if you haven't seen it by then.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  12. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
  13. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Much ado about nothing in my opinion. Beck is by all accounts a very good coach educator, and will be teaching the curriculum he is set. Boothroyd is someone Ashworth knows very well, but whom Southgate interviewed. I know he has a history in academy development, but I don't know much about it. Ashworth hasn't put a foot wrong yet however, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It strikes me as a bit silly to be throwing the entire philosophy moving forward into doubt just because of these personnel changes.

14. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    it's not about "throwing the entire philosophy into doubt", it's about making baffling apointments. Noel Blake and Eastick damaged generations of players, every appointment is important.

zXen repped this.
  15. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    this comes a few days after Dyke basically said Wenger was one of the reason England didn't produce more players. could he be more clueless than that ?

16. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    That is what the article implies. This all assuming that Boothroyd doesn't have a talent for developing players, which seems pretty baseless.

You're getting a bit creative with the truth there. He referenced Arsene's mentality that English players don't play because they're aren't good enough, which is something he's said many times in the past.

17. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    tbh I just saw that on twitter I didn't read his interview. so maybe I got carried away.
    as for Boothroyd, why would we want a manager known for long ball tactics in charge of young players development ? this is not right.

18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm guessing (hoping) he got the job based on his work as a youth team coach and Youth Development Officer/Technical Director. Not really bothered about his reputation if he can do the job well.

19. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I would not have chosen him but like I have said before let us see how the U20's team play's under him before we start the mud slinging

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Joey Barton was going on about it today on twitter. Even mentioned that Boothroyd was actually Ashworth's best man at his wedding. Jobs for the boys insinuations etc. I can't see how they couldn't have expected this type of stuff to be brought up when they appointed him. So they are either convinced he's a great appointment or don't care what people think.

21. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I missed it - and can't see another repeat anytime up to Sunday morning. How unlucky is that. I never miss it normally, even though I'd be better off doing so.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I managed to get round to watching it. Large majority of the stuff mentioned has been discussed on here. They went into a bit more detail than usual about 'B' teams and possible partnerships the elite clubs could have with lower league clubs. It's worth a watch but not a massive deal if it's missed.

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sheedy's comments about Moyes not being interested in the Everton academy or its players was interesting, particularly when you compare Ferguson's involvement at United over the years.

And Phil Neville, Darren Fletcher and RVP having sons enrolled at the Man CITY academy.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    United is in a big slide atm, they need a better manager and soon becausethey have become a laughing stock