The Big Bang Theory: General

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by JohnnyFutbol, Mar 21, 2013.

1. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This is personally one of my favorite shows, hopefully im not the only one here who enjoys it.

And since this show is on syndication and still going strong in network, decided to make a general thread discussion for all episodes.

[​IMG]

2. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a fan of the show. I'm sure there are those who will say it sucks because it has a laugh track. But I don't take my sitcoms so seriously. It usually gets laughs out of me.

And Penny is quite lovely. Bernadette too actually.

JohnnyFutbol repped this.
  3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I'm not so sure about the laugh track - it is taped live in front of a studio audience.

The show is quite frankly brilliant - I thought after the first season or two they were going too Sheldon-heavy but in retrospect, it was the right move to make as he has great unintentional comedic timing.

Bringing in Amy Farrah-Fowler and Bernadette were moves that put the show over the top. Penny having female companions to play off of was needed after the first two seasons. I think Raj's role has diminished over the years but that's not too surprising. The guy is a good actor and has good timing but he comes across as dry at times.

Also, it's a bit strange that we still don't know Penny's last name yet. And yes, she is quite lovely.

4. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    The show is a HUGE hit at geek schools. The personality traits etc. of the guys is perfect and spot on for real college geeks.

And showing that a geek like Leonard can get a girl like Penny doesn't hurt any either.

5. JayJ

JayJ Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Aurora IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without the laugh track:

I like this much better, had they written it without the laugh track the show would have much better flow and much more organic (to coin a term) comedy.

6. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Speaking of the ladies of the show.

I personally didn't like Amy when she was first introduced but the past two seasons shes grown as a character and on me.

Sheldon and Amys interactions are always interesting - especially when it comes to any kind of sexual indication about their relationship.

And im in love with Alex - wish she would fully integrate in the cast.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I figured she had been introduced to become Raj's love interest.
    But then they introduced the girl with the social anxiety problems instead.

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been in the weekly rotation since the first show. Last season was very average, but this season is much better. Part of it was introducing Amy and part was the interaction with Sheldon wasn't working as well.

I love the cards at the end...

9. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Wallowitz used to be one of my favorite characters but ever since his marriage to Bernadette he's seemed kinda lame to me. I think part of what was most funny about him was his relentless horn-dog behavior and the marriage has made it all but disappear.

Penny and Leonard's realationship is really dragging on and I find myself zoning out whenever they share one of their touchy-feely scenes together.

Raj is probably my favorite character now, so hopefully they don't de-ball him by putting him in a serious relationship.

Oh, any episode that has Will Wheaton and Sheldon interacting is always an instant classic. More Will Wheaton please.

10. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Isnt that life though?

All our friends change once the ball and chain get ahold of them.

condor11 repped this.
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I was going to say that I saw the characters' (relative) maturation and evolution as the show progresses as a positive and not a negative. It would be far worse if all four guys were still exactly as they were in the first episode.

johno and afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  12. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    That's fine, as long as it's still funny. It's just that I feel they've delved a little too much into the mushy/mature side of life. Don't get me wrong, it's still one of the better sitcoms of the past 10 or so years.

13. worms

worms Red Card

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Couldn't agree more with this,that's why I like the first few seasons the best.The characters of Amy and Bernadette were OK at first,when they were not primary characters but now that they are in practically every episode I am sick of them.I find them annoying(Bernadettes voice grates through me and Amy is the most unrealistic character in the show, totally two dimensional ),unfunny and most importantly I feel that their introduction has ruined the shows dynamics.Raj for example,now that there is practically a girl in every scene he hardly gets a chances to speak anymore,compared to what he used to anyway.They are now no longer a bunch of bachelors for a lack of a better word and are more domesticated,like you say more mature and mushy.

I no longer laugh as much as I used to,the last few seasons the jokes have gotten more predictable and the storylines less predictable.

Also I like Penny but she looked nicer in the first seasons,watch a current episode and then watch a episode from one of the earliest seasons.Only then will you realize how much weight she has put on.Not just on here body but on her neck and face too.Don't get me wrong she isn't fat but she is no longer slim either.

14. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  15. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I don't remember that episode. Good excuse to re-watch them all.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's the most recent one.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1 - For starters, Amy is far more dimensional as a character than Sheldon, who is practically one dropped match count from being a Rain Man. Secondly, Amy is hilarious and has brought balance to the show.

2 - You have got to be kidding. I will refrain from going off.

StiltonFC repped this.
  18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Amy and Sheldon are a classic comedy pairing.
    They are the Laurel and Hardy of this show. Both are socially maladroit, but one of the two (Amy/Hardy) still has some grasp of what constitutes acceptable behavior.

19. worms

worms Red Card

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sorry Amy just isn't funny at all, tedious and ruins the dynamics that existed between the original primary characters before she and Bernadette were made into primary characters too.

Penny has got fatter,it's a fact.Only a delusional,politically "correct" coward or blind person would deny that.

My eyes don't lie:

[​IMG]

The weight gain is obvious if you watch a recent episode then immediately watch a 1st season episode.

Seems I'm not the only person to have noticed this phenomena.

http://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-7818.html
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145012831&page=1
    http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571549

Here is some good quotes from one of those forums:

"Her waist line will continue to expand, pounds adding on and on to her thighs. Small traces of fat laying wreckage to the feminine beauty of a face which was once the epitome of California blonde. "

"I was watching the show this season and I kept saying why the hell is this chick not looking hot to me anymore, it didn't even register that she'd slowly been packing it on since the start...my sister was tryin to convince me it was the haircut that changed and I thought nah it's more than that I can look past a so so haircut on a very cute girl. Now it makes sense."

" it's been gradual, couple pounds every half season by the end she's put on a solid 5, throw it over a few seasons she's up 15+. You're like something is different but you don't notice it right away until you compare it to the early stuff you just know something isn't right here."

She is nowhere near as attractive as she used to be,she needs to hit the gym and lose some fat so she looks like she used to,at this rate she will be whale in 5 years time.

20. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please. she used to be a hot chick. now she's a hot woman.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Anyone who actually feels the need to whine about her weight is having a laugh. Even pondering the use of the word 'fat' against her is ludicrous. On many levels. Period.

And none of it has anything to do with her quality on the show.

Caddman and JohnnyFutbol repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Her weight gains and losses have been noticeable every season and it does stand out. She isn't fat or ugly, but I have to admit I have noticed it several times. There have been times I have seen her and been concerned about her weight not because she is getting heavier, but because she often loses the weight seemingly very quickly. I am not saying she has an eating disorder, but I have worked with several girls with disorders and I'm always quick to be concerned about any gain or loss.

Having said all of that... none of the characters are really multidimensional.

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Hmm... so when do we discuss Raj's weight fluctuations and how it impacts the quality of the show? Or Andy's on the Office? Or any actual human's in real life?

This is ludicrous. She's one of the sexiest AND funniest women on TV, and we have dudes of unknown svelteness complaining that a gorgeous 27-year-old human does not look as she did at 20.

Welcome to Earth, fellas.

johno and General Disarray repped this.
  24. worms

worms Red Card

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Isn't that obvious ? Because the vast majority of people on here are straight males who therefore don't give a damn about another males weight.

I like women so therefore I will look at them more and criticize them if they go downhill by putting on weight at a young age. At 26/27 women should still be in their prime.

If Kaley Cuaco was ugly or average looking to begin with I wouldn't give a damn either and wouldn't bother mentioning it,but she used to be a genuine 8 or 9 out of 10 and now she is only a 6 out of 10.Slightly above average.

25. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    An yet, Bernadette seems to get better each season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

General Disarray, SpencerNY and Caddman repped this.