The best players of the season so far 2012-13

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Dec 6, 2012.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm not saying this is conclusive but Totti has the highest average rating from Gazzetta of anyone playing more than 10 games.

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    DiMaria is currently the second best player for RM behind C Ronaldo, Rodriguez is a key player in one of the great surprises this season, a functional Atletico Madrid team, and Silva continues on his form from last season, along with Aguero the best player in an EPL contender.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    What are you basing this opinion on?

Di Maria has 2 goals and 1 assist in La Liga.

Rodriguez has started 4 games in La Liga and has no goals or assists.

Have you actually seen any games?

4. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    How is he a key player when he primarily sits on the bench and comes on as a sub? :confused:

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have watched a couple of matches by Atletico, where Cebolla started and played well. If he's no longer starting perhaps he shouldn't be on the list anymore, but don't see how DiMaria shouldn't be on it as he is the only one who has played consistently well for Real Madrid this season, along with Marcelo.

He is a key sub, but if he has lost a starting spot I would no longer put him in the list.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Marcelo has only played 6 league games. Are you on a wind up here?

7. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is there really any rating system that displays how much Messi is above everyone else?
    I feel like no rating system does him any justice.

8. Baron Zbimg

Baron Zbimg Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    With both Reus and Lewandowski at *, Götze definitely feels overrated at ***. He has been very good, sometimes excellent but not great enough to warrant that big a difference IMHO.

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't think you can really create a system on a long standing basis which adequately captures a player who is probably the best performer in European club football history.

Had this system been going for years I'd have been tempted to give Messi a 4* rating to indicate quite how far he is ahead.

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't disagree with your principle here.

If I put it in a kicker context, they had IK ratings out like sweeties (7 goalkeepers got IK), but are very selective about their WK ratings. As such I can be unduly influenced by them giving someone a WK rating, while I'm slightly dismissive of their IK ratings.

11. Baron Zbimg

Baron Zbimg Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Great List. 2 guys that could deserve inclusion are Roberto Soldado, and especially Pablo Osvaldo, I know he has missed some games due to injury but he has been a top class finisher this season, also taking his form to the national team, scoring a very important brace in Bulgaria.

12. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    On one hand I agree with you. But on the other hand, a rating system can be created or an existing one can evolve into one where the highest rating is 5* for example. Then Messi will/should be given 5*, while everyone else is perhaps give a 3*.

In general, I think that a rating system with a broader range can be more accurately representative of the players and the differences of the level in their performances.

13. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    So far:

1º Messi
    2º Iniesta
    3º Ronaldo

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I'm not bashing Totti. I'm just saying he deserves to be more in the midfielder list this season than as a forward.

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Well, yes, a system could be created of course. Designing a whole system though to capture the performances of the greatest club player ever doesn't make a great deal of sense though to me.

The problem is that the more categories you have the harder it is to gain any accuracy. Even watching as much football as I do and canvassing the opinions of as many people as I could, there isn't enough information available for me to accurately represent those differences. Especially when the list is already extremely subjective.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  17. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What kind of sources were used? For assessing Ligue 1 in particular.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It is also discussed here that Messi is far ahead of everyone else. What are according to the posters here the best profiles about him that also discusses his improvements and what gives him the edge?

What are identifiable reasons that he is that far ahead?

19. Skorenzy

Skorenzy Member

Dec 30, 2011
    For me Jordi Alba is close to a *** rating, he's been as solid at the back as Abidal in his best year + had the offensive power of a prime Dani Alves. IMO he's been a big part of why Iniesta is contributing more this season compared to historically, as Alba's runs allow him more freedom/space which wasn't really there with previous less attack-minded leftbacks.

Also Hugo Mallo of Celta could have been good for a * rating this season but unfortunately it seems he'll be out for the rest of it due to injury. And personally I would have had maybe Cvitanich in there as well (although I've only seen his latest performances so maybe that was just a blip in form?).

Anyway, nice work!

comme repped this.
  20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    France Football and L'Equipe along with whoscored. I also asked Andrew Gibney who runs France Football Weekly who he thought were the best players of the season.

21. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    A number of reasons.
    The lack of great players in general, Barcelona buying refs, Messi & his team jucing it up witht he best doping available and La Liga having English 2nd divison-like quality on average.

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It was a serious question. Not a rhetorical one or a trap.

23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Extremely sad that Pipiolo repped this. I asked for a serious reply or none at all, not suggestive BS answers like this.

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    You ask for a serious reply when you asked a dumb question.

You're asking why a player who scored 91 goals is ahead of others in a list of forwards :rolleyes:.