The best players of the season so far 2012-13

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Baron Zbimg

Baron Zbimg Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think Marchisio should be included in the central midfielders, even though the brilliance of Pirlo and Vidal around him may have motivated your choice. Definitely deserves one star.

Aubameyang is pretty good but I don't think he deserves a star.
    A player whose class may be ignored is Julien Féret, a nice creative player, good scorer, always has his head up.

2. Baron Zbimg

Baron Zbimg Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Also, Tremoulinas with a star is far fetched to say the least. There are a number of better left backs in Ligue 1 alone.
    To react to your comment on him, I'd be extremely surprised if he ever manages to get 10 caps.

Also, he is rumoured to be kind of a booze lover ...

Nkoulou may have more potential and he has been pretty good with Marseille but Aurélien Chedjou has been outplaying him for a while now, including this season.

Still, and of course, great work!

3. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I thought Carrick may have squeezed into the CM's, or at least be in the pack that just missed out.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    He was second with ** in the DMs.

frasermc repped this.
  5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Appreciate that.

Marchisio was very close to making it. Would have been the next inclusion.

Interesting you say that about Tremoulinas. He is highly rated by France Football and L'Equipe. Who do you regard as better.

Agree that Chedjou has been playing well. He was also very close to inclusion.

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Apologies comme. Really should have checked that first.

7. Baron Zbimg

Baron Zbimg Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'd say Maxwell, Kolodziejczak, Barthelme, Nery, even Morel have been better this year. Tremoulinas is good offensively, is a very good passer and crosser, but he has a very slight build and is often found out of position defensively, doesn't have a good sense for tackling. Jallet has the same kind of problem, although he's a much better dribbler and a somehow poor crosser. Maybe he'll prove me wrong but I don't see how Tremoulinas plays a lot of games for France with Evra, Clichy, and soon Loris Nery in the mix ...

comme repped this.
  8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    No worries mate. Carrick is far from a pure DM and I have made it complicated by having three central midfield categories.

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Good information. Given Evra's age I don't think he has a vast amount of time to go.

Clichy hasn't been particularly good since moving to City, but then I'm probably judging him by harsher standards than Ligue 1.

10. Baron Zbimg

Baron Zbimg Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Clichy and Evra definitely face stronger opposition than Tremoulinas. I think he mainly lacks elite athleticism. He's quick, but that's pretty much it. He's no Philip Lahm for sure.

11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  12. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Why did Iniesta make it from not being mention among 11 names to Top 7?

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    He started playing and providing. When the list first went up he'd only played about 5 league games.

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    *** for Santi Cazorla?

I would certainly agree that he deserves to be included but I'd have thought ** would have been a fairer rating.

He doesn't seem to have as much of an impact at home as he does on his travels. He shines more away from the confines of the Emirates.

Is the freedom that he encounters away from home allowing him to have a more pronounced effect on the outcome of a match?

15. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
  16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    The same criteria (?) that he put Rooney as in AM I guess...

17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I agonised over both his and Goetze's ratings.

I think Cazorla started the season absolutely superbly, then slightly tailed off, then came back strongly again.

Overall he is borderline, and I think a ** rating would be perfectly valid as well.

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't disagree with this. He has played further forward this season than normal and operated just off the front men at times.

I think in some cases I probably reverted (incorrectly) to the player's normal position rather than where they had been playing.

Rooney is of course the opposite as a player who is normally a forward/striker, playing far deeper this season, and who I've included in the role they have actually played.

19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    In terms of assists Iniesta is probably having his best season so far for Barca. No injuries and he's been very involved.

For the ranking I ask comme why is Totti ahead of Lamela? Lamela has been better than Totti this season and he's probably been Roma's best player. Despite the fact that as Totti he was originally an AM with River.

And Suarez has the same rating as Messi and CRonaldo?

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think Totti has still been involved more, controlled the play more and is still a tremendously inventive playmaker.

In terms of Suarez, there is only *** available. If Messi could have **** then he would. I think Suarez could get **, but I don't think three stars is a massive reach. It's not so much putting him on the same level as Messi, but putting him on the same level as Goetze, Cazorla and Ribery.

Messi doesn't really fit within the confines of this rating system.

21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Fair enough with the Suarez thing.

But I can't agree with Totti and Lamela. Totti yes has been very good considering his consistency and his age at this point. But at the same time Lamela was the one playing further up and the one who scored more goals for Roma.

I think Totti should be in the midfielders list instead. In terms of forwards Lamela is clearly ahead of him.

22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    What have any of them done to merit inclusion?