The best players of the season so far 2012-13

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Claudio Yacob, that’s a player I haven’t followed in a while. I haven’t seen him at West Brom yet but I imagine he’s doing well for you to include him.

2. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Sorry, I thought it was for the entire year 2012. No Denisov or Dzagoev then.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    He started excellently and has tailed off slightly (as have the whole West Brom team). Certainly impressed given that not a great deal was expected.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Why such a big gap between Howedes and Badstuber? In kicker ranking the gap is 0.01 points o_O

IMO, no one of the defenders and defensive midfielders deserve three stars but that is my perception.

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    They're not in any particular order yet.

6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Nice. He was excellent for the Argentina U-20 squad and for Racing. Good to see he’s doing well in England with a small club.

7. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    But surely the reason for him tailing off is down to injuries rather than a loss of form. It has also impacted on James Morrison, as he was having a highlight season to start with but has had to play a deeper role with the absence of Yacob which isn't suiting him so well.

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Partially yes, of course, but he started the season phenomenally well and then dipped even when fit.

9. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Stoped reading after no Iniesta.
    /fail

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanks for that valuable contribution.

11. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Doubt anybody watched enough football games to even make a guess on the best players worldwide this season. I doubt anybody has seen half of the players listed even a quarter of their games.

[]__[]

12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Nice that you included Zabaleta. I remember you did not rate him very highly when he arrived at Man City but he was very good last season and especially this season he’s been incredibly consistent. And his runs forward have been improving a lot. He’s a fan favorite because he always gives his 100%.

I don’t see how Micah Richards can enter the side at this point when he gets fit.

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I remember thinking that he was a very limited player when he joined City, but I do rate him very highly now. Agree that his attitude is fantastic and that he gives his all every game. I do still think, given City's general lack o width that there might be better options for them but he's come on leaps and bounds and is now a very strong player.

16. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I do like Bonucci. Personally would have had Barzagli ahead slightly, but it comes back to your point about McLeish and Millercand judging partnerships (or trios for Juve).

Some of those who came close to the CB list: Subotic, Klose, Boateng, Roncaglia, Barzagli, Chedjou, Chico, Huth, Ottamendi, Juam Jesus, Neto, Wollscheid, Piqué, Pepe, Kompany and Bonucci was certainly under consideration as well to be honest.

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Good list. With all the Argentines you have there it’s surprising that the defense is still the weakest point in the NT. But yeah Samuel will probably be too old for the next WC and Demichelis has been a bit of a disaster for Argentina. But Garay will be there with Campagnaro probably as a LB.

Maybe if Gonzalo continues he’ll take the spot off F. Fernandez.

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Don't take this the wrong way but I do sort of feel with Argentina's defenders that some of them are just currently in good form rather than actually being great players.

I've rated Rodriguez for some time and have really liked Campagnaro over the last two years. Garay is a clever player who I actually liked in Spain.

Samuel was a great CB over the course of his career.

Having said that a back line of Zabaleta, Garay, Rodriguez, Campagnaro would be very hard to break down. Also think Insurralde is a useful option and Ottamendi is decent.

21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Gonzalo was always a promise but he was injured constantly at Villarreal. That was his main issue.

Not taking it the wrong way. That’s the line-up I’d love to see in the back:

Zabaleta-Garay-Gonzalo-Campagnaro

With Zabaleta pushing forward more than the rest as he has done so far with City to good results.

At least have it tried out before the WC. It’s basically the same as the last WCQ match against Chile except F. Fernandez from Napoli was there instead of Gonzalo. Argentina won that game away.

Otamendi is fairly good at a CB position. Don’t like him as fullback. He was a mess against Germany in the last WC as RB.

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just out of interest comme have you got a list of players who nearly made the final cut but just missed out.

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    In central midfield?

Some of those coming close: Marchisio, Toure, Dembele, Montolivo, De Bruyne, Neustadter, Lars Bender, Batalla, Strootman, Inler.