The Best Player in the World - The Cristiano Ronaldo Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by 9Qui, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    You must just be confused. I forgive you though, you can't choose where you're born. And after I read posts like yours I thank God I was one of the lucky ones to be born in the USA. Bruce Springsteen, you know The Boss? He even wrote about a song about the privilege.

2. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    I would argue that American players are fouled, hacked at significantly less based on the style of play - both by individuals and as a team. I know the American NT system pretty well.

What you are taught in school leagues is also something the rarely resembles soccer, which is why the youth development system is working to move their most promising players out of the high school and college system. But you knew that too.

3. RoyalWhites

RoyalWhites Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Moving prospects out of schools systems isn't suddenly going to make American players dive -or- fool the refs. Like I mentioned, this fundamental of being on your feet will exist from here on out.

4. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Clearly. But you are making it sound like these schools are teaching some noble art of not cheating. What they teach is go hard, lead with your shoulder, go harder, grab the shirt, go even harder, stomp his foot if you have to. Like I said, I am very familiar.

Doesn't matter anyway and this argument if off-topic. Mods, feel free to delete.

5. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Really sad song when you read the lyrics.

6. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I've been an athlete since I could walk thru college, my Dad played minor league baseball and one thing I notice when I talk to friends who are not from America is that here we are taught at an early age to have respect for our opponent and the sport. Faking, acting and the sort is generally frowned upon, Americans generally speaking are into fair play and root for the under dog.

My wife who is not from here doesn't understand it why cheating bothers me so much, friends who are not from here don't see it like I do. IMO its cultural, not saying it makes American's better but it is a core value in youth up thru college athletics to win or lose gracefully.

Sorry for the off topic reply...

7. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    tl;dr: @temesgen needs a hug ;)

I know what you mean though, they emphasize sportsmanship and non-faking, and toughing it out when you're down. I've always found it interesting that this is the primary reason that some Americans hate soccer.

temesgen repped this.
  8. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I always thought the primary reason they preferred other sports was because a lot of them are fat.

[​IMG]

9. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    I second that! A guy looking like this can only play in a pie eating contest here in Europe. :p

10. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The reason Americans hate FOOOOTBALL, is because they suck at it. If they were good, we wouldn't hear the end of it.

Ahmadi8 and zohee repped this.
  11. Tobias19

Tobias19 Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Ronaldo must sharpen up his game, has not been looking good last 2 matches

12. 7Bilal

7Bilal Red Card

Dec 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cr7 was whoscored.com player of the month for Jan

13. RoyalWhites

RoyalWhites Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's unfortunate that soccer isn't popular in America but I understand those that dislike it because of the diving. Like many, I am pretty much sick of how the refs screwed the team. Players have no dignity. It's a shame that they fall and and "sell" a foul.

Its not just the game of soccer but diving and flopping exist in basketball too.

14. Mr. Strange

Mr. Strange Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Muricans are very good at flopping, they don't like 'soccer' because they aren't very good at it. The end.

Ahmadi8, Hendrix22 and zohee repped this.
  15. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  16. Mr. Strange

Mr. Strange Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^forgot about that one, tnx :)

17. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Those are manly flops, some of you obviously don't understand the difference but you're so blinded by jealousy that I can see where you might have difficulties. I bet some of you claiming Americans don't like soccer because we're not good at it come from countries with worse soccer teams than ours and your people "like" soccer.

We don't not like soccer because we're bad at it, if we liked soccer we'd rule it like we do almost every other sport. Lucky for some of you we are a magnanimous country and we allow things like the Winter Olympics for participants in obscure sports to know what it feels like to be a winner.

18. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I remember the 2010 WC where you were lucky to pass the group stages, with that last minute goal from Donovan. If it weren't for that Slovenia with about a 100x less inhabitants would've knocked you out. Think abou that! Plus we'd own you in ski jumping and Maze owned Vonn! Wooo!

19. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Why do I have to think about it? We made it out of the group stages. "What if...?" and "If only..." are consolation questions for losers at the end of the day. Yes you would "own" us in ski jumping but as I said we are a giving people and allow for you to do just that in the Winter Olympics. Everyone should know what it feels like to be a winner at least once.

20. Tobias19

Tobias19 Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Haha, best one:thumbsup:

21. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    LOL. The US is doing some smart stuff in youth development. It is a bit un-American in its approach because technical development is getting more attention than results (and because the curriculum was built based on top European academies). I give the USSF a ton of credit for those bold steps.

The US U17 team that just won the Nike tournament in Florida - against the likes of Brazil, Portugal and England - played a much nicer soccer. A lot of those kids are training overseas already and many come from true soccer cultures and background. Definitely headed in the right direction.

temesgen repped this.
  22. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Sigh...@Alma Merengue no one needs your little "cookies" for approval, Europeans don't put enough sugar in them anyway, I'll bet every.single. player. on that U17 team could bench press more weight than any other players across Europe in the same age group. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Alma Merengue repped this.
  23. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Yep, and many times the best players in America are people you will never hear of. Soccer here has become a richman's sport - parents often spend thousands of dollars driving and flying kids to tournaments every weekend.

Some of the most gifted players you'll ever meet didn't have the time, money or support to do this but our parks are filled with them playing pickup games. Many times the parents are immigrants and place an emphasis on school or are the parents are working two jobs to support the family and simply can't offer the support for sports but in time this is changing.

I know its been said before but America will be producing better results in 10 years and while we're at it the women are feared world wide.

24. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    Sudžuka repped this.
  25. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've said it like 4-5 times (but i like saying it), the lack of football talent in USA is due to the lack of street football. Street football is better as kids learn freely and have more creative freedom, while coaches are stricter to dribblers and guys who like to do fun stuff in football.

Street football FTW!