The best non-WC year for Mexico?

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team: News, Analysis & History' started by TallTowerMan, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    1999 was the best non wc year for Mexico. I think it's funny that many people talk about how great winning this Gold Cup is because it gives us a berth to the Confederations cups but then place it as a bigger accomplishment than actually winning the confederations cup!

In 1999 we won the confederations cup, the biggest accomplishment in Mexican football history and we got 3rd place in Copa America. You can say we got screwed by CONCACAF and put an asterisk in it and it's definitely not our fault but shit happens and because of it a Copa America was wasted. So there is no way that it can surprass a 3rd place.

I love the U17 world cup titles and I love the youth teams but senior tournaments are way more important than youth tournaments. Besides the fact that we had good participations in 99 in both (although in youth tournaments, this is the best summer we've ever had) but the fact remains they are just based on promises for the senior teams but aren't a reality. Teams have won tournaments or had good participations who later haven't made a mark in senior sides (African teams, Saudi Arabia).

Mexico had it's best Gold cup and is doing great but it's still is 1999 as the best non wc year.

2. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What does that section have to do with the previous section and the one there after?

If an NT coach picks players without much of a thought as to if said player will work in the style he plans on implementing than that's on the coach not the youth developmental academies or the FMF. It's not and should not be up to the FMF to pick a style and run with it for years on end either as if it were a club team.

In theory we should have a coach that has a vision and picks the right players for said vision and carries that approach for a full four years. Then on to the next.

3. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    The point was that the federation shouldn't depend on clubs to produce players because there are too many clubs that are teaching their youth players their system and style.... these players may produce fantastically at the club level, but fail with the NT because they are not used to the NT coach's style....

By integrating all ranks withing a federation (NT), a player can move up the ranks and adaptation will be minimal.

This was in response to El Choul comment about clubs should emulate Pumas and Chivas.

It was also meant to tell John that clubs are not meant to produce players, their are their to win and remain in the top flight (or win promotion).

Actually, it is.

Why have different youth category teams and not integrate them?

The responsibility of the Federation is to develop players for the national team. The Federation is not threatened by relegation, clubs on the other hand are.

4. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    The 1999 Confeds. Would it had been more impressive had it been won outside of Mexico? Against a full-strength Brazil?

The 2011 Gold Cup was won outside of Mexico, albeit with a pro-Mexico crowd, and against a full-strength US team.

5. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I disagree. Its up to clubs to churn out talent and buy talent. The FMF's job is to hire competent people to spot said talent and form a cohesive fluid competitor on the world stage. The problem here is one of huevos. Who's gonna have the pair to let a man run the team when he's not calling a star instead of doing his best to fit square pegs in round holes like was done with Bravo?

If all the clubs are developing players the pool is larger and the styles varied. I don't want some dumb US style bradenton shit. That will just lead to many talents left undiscovered. With a pool large enough a decent coach could probaly put two or three very competitive teams on the field that could contend.

It's no strange occurence that the MLS is moving towards having DA's as they don't have second and third divisions. Bottom line is clubs develop talent. Before MLS the US sucked worse than it does.

6. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    That Brazil's team wasn't far off from their full strength side and was OVERLY superior to the US team or any team that Mexico faced. Hell the US team Mexico faced in the semifinal in Azteca was better than this US team and it probably played it's best game ever in Azteca. It's not even close of an argument.

7. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Many of those players ended up being great players, however, at the time it was considered a youthful squad with a few veterans thrown in if I recall correctly.

I'm not making an argument either way. They are questions to be discussed.

8. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    I'm excited about this year and looking forward to the future, but it has to be 1999. A confederation cup is a confederation cup, no matter who the opposition sends. In the same way Copa America is Copa America, no matter what squad Mexico chose to send this year.

9. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    The 1999 argument is a good one, and I might throw in 1993 as well.

Mexico flattened everyone in the Gold Cup, made it to the final of the Copa America in their first foray, and qualified for the World Cup for the first time since 1978, again flattening most everyone.

10. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    I think 1993 was the most surprising, because we had no concept as to how good we were. We had hopes based originally on Menotti and the quality of the individual players, but like you say, we hadn't qualified for a WC in 15 years (for that matter, had only a single win in WCs off Mexican soil), and we had just had the 91 Gold Cup debacle (the original dos a cero against a bunch of semipros). I was just thinking of Batistuta's goals earlier today because of the 20th anniversary of him joining Fiorentina.

11. Manolo Rodriguez

Jul 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I'm with Nacho. Countries with national teams and no leagues, or bad leagues, don't seem to do very well in the talent production category.

With regards to the original question, it depends on how you weight youth accomplishments and senior accomplishments.

The 1999 Copa America and Confederation drew upon the same pool of players. The 2011 Gold Cup, sub-17 and sub-20 players come from three separate goups.

I'm kind of more impressed by 2011 cause it demonstrates overall strength across the whole national team program.

12. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The 1999 Brazil team was the team they used in Copa America minus Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Cafu, Amoroso and Roberto Carlos. So it was a B team but a really great B team that was at the peak at the football world. It was a very solid squad.

Well if you compare, there were those tournaments in 1999. Mexico got to the quarters in both the sub 20 and sub 17. So you have to add that to the mix too if you are going to compare all the competition levels.

13. Charlie512

Charlie512 Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah, only that 4 out those 5 players were legends especially the one in the bold. (although he was injured at the time)

14. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Like I've said before, I don't believe in using the "B team" excuse, especially using it repeatedly to both discredit our rivals in 1999 (brazil wasn't as strong), and excuse ourselves in 2011 (our Copa America team). It's a slippery slope that leads to the argument that our U20 team barely tied an English team missing its top 36 players.

15. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Well if that happened, it happened. If that's true of the English team, then it's true. You can really point it out because we did send a pretty bad squad to Copa America and Brazil didn't have their 4 top players but the distinction has to be made that it was mostly the squad it sent to Copa America and not a youth squad like for example the Brazilian sub23 team in the Gold Cup in 03, that didn't even have the senior NT manager but Ricardo Gomes heading it.

16. Manolo Rodriguez

Jul 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    That's true, but in the 1999 sub-17 tournament only 8 teams advanced from the group stage, so the quarterfinal was the very first elimination game.

17. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    There was a round of 16. How do you think we ended up beating Argentina 4-1? Which by the way, was crazy considering how they use to dominate the U20s. Fun fact- JL Real was the coach at the time.

18. Manolo Rodriguez

Jul 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    But I was talking about the 1999 sub-17 tournament. We were in a group with Spain, Ghana, and Thailand. We finished 2nd, advanced to quarters and lost to the U.S.

You're talking about the 1999 sub-20 tournament.

19. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Ah I misread your post. Sorry.

20. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    I don't remember the 1999 confeds, so its an accomplishment i can't comment on.

This gold cup on the other hand was the greatest demonstration of team resiliency that i've ever seen.

I've seen countless examples of solid Mexican teams imploding once they went down.

Once we went down against any team that gave us difficulty the team would lose their heads and start whining, crying, and then the implosion would begin in earnest.

The World Cup against the Argies was over once Tevez got that cheap goal. The team completely lost its head and started complaining instead of focusing on getting a goal back. The floodgates opened because the team was too busy bitchin about the unfairness of life instead of trying to fight back.

The gold cup was a bitter thing to watch once we went down Dos A Cero, Its was omfg i can't believe that we are going to lose again. I was already preparing the eulogy and the empty feeling was becoming unbearable. I was prepared to watch a re-run of the worst of such talented Mexican teams imploding.

The Gold Cup comeback was huge, The team stormed back and demolished a US team so thoroughly that the despair of US fans was palpable.

This win was an exclamation point that the team had changed for the better and that Mexico would no longer defeat itself. Teams have to beat us now because this squad's mentality is monstrous :)

The U-17 was gravy and increased the immense satisfaction of Mexican fans while increasing the horror of US fans.

The US friendly was such a waste because if Chepo had not bungled it so badly we could have enjoyed the despair of US fans for several more months if not years.

21. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I swear that some of you totally buy into what people in the US boards say. That whole comment about how Mexico always used to lose it's heads and stuff and that this is the new mentality with this team and not with the others, all that stuff came from the US boards in relation to them but it's was all BS. Mexico has had pretty great records with other teams and had shown that warrior skill way before this gold cup team and with better teams than them. The main difference is that they are better teams and more talented and it wasn't enough. Still Mexico came and had a great record against Brazil in always hard fought games. They had a great Copa America in 93 and although they didn't win, they fought to the end. They beat Brazil in 05, took Argentina to pk's and came back against Germany to tie them and take them into extra time. They didn't crumble in the world cup except with Aguirre but just lost to better teams. The Gold Cup team was great, promsing and had the best gold cup ever but it never faced a great team like those in so many of the "fracasos". And this rewrite of history about how the team was imploding against other competition that isn't the US, isn't true. Or at least it hasn't for a while.

22. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    Agree...totally on point.

23. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    Yeah but I've seen Rafa Marquez, our captain no less, get two straight reds against the US. I saw Oswango try to break Donovan's legs in frustration. I've seen our best guys turn into imps throwing patadas, miss easy put aways and in general just lose their heads in ways that made you feel embarrased for the team. They didn't have to say it on their boards. The writing was on the wall.

This current crop has something that the last generation didn't: a complete lack of fear and faith in the system. It doesn't hurt to get results either as winning is contagious. Mexico is finally showing that they value winning more than not losing.

24. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Show me numerous examples of Mexico falling and losing their minds before that aren't against the US team. And also show me all the examples of this team showing a great lack of fear in the senior team that isn't agains the US team and the Gold Cup tournament. This kind of reminds me of 2003 all over again.

25. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Update:

U17 WC - Champions
    U20 WC - 3rd Place
    Gold Cup - Champions + Confeds Ticket
    JPA - Champions

Add the womens first ever appearance in the WWC. Not a bad year at all.