The best foreign players in Argentina and Brazil's soccer history

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ManiacButcher, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    From Brazil
    Mazurkiewicz - Arce, Figueroa, Pereyra, Sorín - Romero, Rocha, Bria, Rincón - Tévez, Aristizábal.

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Petkovic over Aristizabal would be my only change.

3. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    My ARG foreign A-team:
    ------------------- Chilavert
    Zubieta --- Melendez --- D.da Guia --- Pavoni
    -------------------- Serna
    --- Francescoli --- W.Gomez --- R.Paz
    ------------ Erico --------- Salas

ARG foreign B-team:
    ----------------- O.Cordoba
    Solano ---- Bermudez ---- Matosas ---- Villar
    --------- F.Solich ------------- B.Caceres
    Alzamendi --- Langara --- P.Valentim --- S.Varela

Some players are placed out of position.

4. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Would you rank to Marcelo Salas over Severino Varela?

5. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I think is a close call.
    Salas was an idol in River, also won SAPOTY playing there. Severino also was an idol in Boca Jrs.
    btw, i was thinking first, pick Langara to the A-team.

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why did you leave Alzamendi off either team, his level was incredible from 85-88 for River.

7. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I think Alzamendi vs Cubilla is another close call. Considering only Arg. league years.

8. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I'd also rank better to Isidro Lángara than Marcelo Salas.

9. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    And what about about the best foreigner? I think in Brazil, Figueroa is a unanimity. About 'attackers', the best, for me, is Petkovic.

10. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    But he hadn't the same impact like Francescoli, Gómez and Paz by sure.

11. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Elías Figueroa from Brazil and Enzo Francescoli from Argentina in my opinion.

12. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    was petkovic ever considered being nationalized for the national team when he was at his peak in Brazil?

13. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    No. He has expressed his desire to become naturalized and play for Brazil NT and when he was in his peak, many people said that. But it was only a form of recognition about his football. In his best years (2001-2005), Brazil had no problems with AM. Moreover, people don't like to see the possibility a foreigner in Seleção. For people, It seems that Brazil, if a foreigner become naturalize and plays in NT, hasn't quality to produce their own players.

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brazil needed him for the qualifiers to WC02, though I agree that in Brazil (or Argentina) there is little acceptance of a naturalized player.

15. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Maybe he could be important, but he hadn't a great hype that period enough to naturalize and be called. In the following years, especially in 2004, he was more respected. And in 2001 the problem was structural (change of coaches, absence of Ronaldo) than lack of talent.

2004 - Placar
    [​IMG]

16. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    That kind of ironic as the country is made up of immigrants. I am a fan of Pet for what he did because it is not easy adapting to the Brazil football routine. I think in due time Brazil will legalize a foreigner for the NT. The NT should what other nations are doing. I think it only happened once and it was an Englishman or Irishman. I forgot his name.

17. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    msioux75 repped this.
  18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree, 2001 was a crazy year for Brazil NT.
    They had in fact many very good forwards/strikers who did great elsewhere but for the team. They certainly did NOT need foreigners (or ever? like other countries)
    For instance you can find in Great names:
    Rivaldo (topscorer Barca and WC02 QUAL), Romario (topscorer Brazil and WC02 Qual) Ronaldinho (topscorer confed2001),
    and good scorers in: Elber (German league topscorer) Ailton (Dormund and league topscorer) Jardel (Portugal and Turkisk topscorer)
    Good forward creators in Ewerthon, Giovani, Denilson (word record transfer), young promising stars in Alex Souza, Kaka .....

I think the coaches back them were SPOILED to choose a good blended team out of them!

19. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Zé Roberto, Juninho Paulista, Marcelinho, Juninho Pernambucano, Djalminha, Ricardinho, Edílson, Luizao, França, Amoroso... the problem was the disappointing Luxemburgo's job and errors in his succession. Emerson Leão wasn't a great coach for Brazil NT. There were also other 'structural' problems.