The best eastern European player of the 90's

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by Hrvat, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The question is pretty clear, what do you think? It was quit difficult for me to choose players for the poll, consider them as hints. It's pretty late here :) and it's quite possible I left someone out. It's amazing how much talent has this region given in the past decade.
    My vote, ofcourse goes to Šuker :cool: , my second favorite is Stoichkov.

I apologize if I' ve written someone's name wrongly, I gave you a little bit croatized versions.

2. $teauA

$teauA New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hagi by miles.

3. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I'm terribly sorry, it's Aleksandar and not Andrej Mostovoj, ofcourse. Told you it was late when I wrote this. :)
    I just want to add that I left out players like Ševčenko and Nedved (who played great during a part of the 90's also) because they are superstars today and it wouldn't be a fair contest.

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I'm sorry, this poll is null and void.

It fails to have the greatest player of that decade by a country mile.

Zvonimir Boban

[​IMG]
    Legend.

Nuff said.

He has Dinamo Zagreb and Hrvatska scribbled on his heart. And has the coolest facial hair since the late Che Guevara.

5. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Yeah, well I wanted to put Zvone and Prosinečki, but than you could say I put too much Croats. :)
    I tried to balance the poll.

6. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    yeah, but Davor Suker never attacked a Serbian policeman. :D

The guy's a legend.

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I love Poborsky, but what's he doing in this poll? Hagi was probably better for a bit longer, but Stoichkov at his best was magnificent. Until the last game of the Euros, he was still the only Bulgarian to ever score in a major tournament. Despite the fact that Bulgaria made the semis with him! I'd probably vote for him.

8. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I had to put someone from Czech Rep. because of the Euro '96, and I think he was their best player on that tournament. It's true, though, he didn't have a club career he probably could have had.
    As I said I just gave hints in that poll, what I really wanted was to start a discussion because this subforum is practically dead.

9. Bentex

Bentex Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Nottingham, UK
    1: Stoichkov
    2: Suker
    3: Boban
    4: Hagi

10. Sambini

Sambini New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Interesting poll bringing back memories. It is true that Balkans exploded with talented and great players in the late 80's.
    And yes, we had Suker, Boban, Prosineccki, Piksi Stojkovic (Pixy), Belodedic(i) etc. Those were all excellent players, pushing every aspect of the game to the limit with a major and often decisive impact on their teams.
    However, I'll focus on most gifted and truly greatest world players at that era, players that had that something extra that today we can see only in Ronaldinho, Zidane and Ronaldo's plays. In that extra league I can only fit:
    - Georghiu Haghi,
    - Hristo Stoichkov and
    - Dejan Savicevic
    Their handling of the ball and understanding of the game was out of this world.
    Sorry to disapoint moderator Hrvat by omitting any of your countrymen. They were really great players but including Boban and Suker on the list would be equal to have Raul, Totti or Nistelroy in some of today's polls. They are all excellent players but theay lack that outlandish ability I creadited Savicevic, Stoichkov and Haghi with. Ditto!

My 2 cents:)

11. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Boban, but maybe my opinion is colored by Šuki of today :D My '96 and '98 jerseys are both Šuker :/

12. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Stoichkov wins it no contest. After that, i would say Boban and then Hagi.

There may have still been space in there for Balakov but oh well.

13. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC
    Actually you forgot Andrei Konchelskis. He was the best at ManU during the early years of the decade. However, he cannot measure up to that @$$ Stoikov. Never saw Hagi play outside of WC 94. Would like to have seen him play for a club team.

14. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I was a big fan of Dejan Savicevic at Milan as well.

I'll vote for him. :)

One classy player.

15. Bentex

Bentex Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Nottingham, UK
    thats because he was nothing more than a reserve at Barca and got relegated to Seria B with Brescia.

16. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Barca had three wonderful talents: Stoichkov, Hagi and Prosinečki, but the latter two never got a fair chance to show their capacity.

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I love Hagi and Suker, I am going to have to go with Stoichkov. Not the greatest personality in the world but a truly great player. I remember him and Romario were an awesome pair at Barcelona. But the real reason I picked Stoichkov was for the impact he had on the Bulgarian national team - taking a very average looking Bulgaria from out of nowhere and all the way to the semis of the World Cup and to the Euro Championships as well. Look what happened to Bulgaria after he retired - a similar fate for Romania after Hagi left in 2000.

PS - why is Shevchenko not on this list??!!

18. red_soccerhut

red_soccerhut BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 25, 2005
    What about Andrei Kanchelchis? None of those guys you have come up with ever got a shirt with the biggest club on the planet. He is the only one to make the grade.

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    this is very tough to choose, but i totally agree that boban should be in this poll and probably mihjlovic as well... hmmm, gotta go with hagi

20. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    Mostovoi by a land slide, psssh you're all a bunch of rookies.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ummmmmmmmmm no

22. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    Considering Mostovoi retained his talent and at age 36(!), LED his team LAST YEAR for the first time in their history (Celta Vigo) to CL. And they made it to first round knock out. He was THE ONLY reason they made it to CL, hell they are a division one team now. Now this is well past his prime, what did he do with Spartak? Led them to semi finals of CL. He is one of the best midfielders all time IMO.

23. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Someone clearly doesn't know who Poborsky is.

24. FC STEAUA

FC STEAUA New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Roumania
    The best of the best is HAGI.He is not a god players, he's a FANTASTIC players.

25. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hagi
    Stoichkov
    Poborsky
    Suker
    Mostovoi
    (In that order, never really saw Savicevic so reserve judgement)

Gheorghe Hagi is a legend of the game for me. He and Stoichkov are synonymous with Romania and Bulgaria for me so they rank highly...

Poborsky and Suker are both phenonmenal but had better support.
    Poborsky had Nedved, Smicer and company!
    Suker had Boban, Stanic, Jarni, Prosinecki, etc...

Mostovoi i like too but i always preferred Ilia Tsymbalar personally!
    Karpin also did well enough!