The Asian Champions League Criteria Thread

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by druryfire, Aug 3, 2011.

1. randomthoughts

Jun 12, 2012
    Well Uzebekistan is only getting screwed due to its geographic location. I can't move the earth to fix it.

How would you fix the situation. Give more spots to Thailand.

Better Yet divide the Asian into four parts

West Asia-The Arab peninsula
    Central Asia-Iran, Uzbekistan, Iraq, Syria
    East Asia-Japan, Korea?
    South East Asia-India, Australia,

However you wanna divide it asia is simply too large. Anything east of uzbekistan should be east asia. anything west of uzbekistan should be west asia. Let them have a conference final and meet in the final. This cuts down on pointless games and travel for all teams.

If you wanna mix it up you could have the top 4 teams or top 8 teams from both conferences compete against each other knock out style.

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It's an increase in the league, not two new clubs altogether. They don't franchise.

What the UAE haven't explained is how the lower tier leagues fit into this expanded setup. It's great that AFC are pushing on top flights, but the lower end of the scale gets decimated in some countries from this.

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I'm not trying to fix it. East/West Group stages is fine.

Knockout football is when it gets serious and should be the whole continent.

What does need sorting out is this daft West Asian side playing in East fro last two editions. Whats the point of a split in the group stage if AFC can just tinker as they feel fit.

4. randomthoughts

Jun 12, 2012
    The AFC is not exactly the best combination. I feel most teams care more about winning their respective leagues than ACL glory.

The west asian sides havn't been great, but again i don't think they care. I think have small regional competitions would make things much more manageable for the respective clubs.

I don't think the West asian sides have been that bad. Looking the past 3 years.
    1 west asian team has won
    2 west asian teams made it to the finals.

The fact that the final has been held in east asia for the past 3 years isn't exactly fair.

5. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
  6. Shenron

Shenron New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    This whole Criteria thing is stupid. UAE get 4 spots and not 1 gets out of the group stage. Slots should be allocated to the strongest leagues and not decided by things like match attendance nad media coverage of leagues. Thank god bin hamam is gone

7. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    You say thank god Bin Hammam has gone yet the process is still the same, which tells you what?

8. Shenron

Shenron New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    More people need to be shown the door

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Changed your mind now? Who else should go then? Do you know who's on the competitions commitee? Do you know who is on the Special Mission Team who assess these nations?

10. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It's about $$$ in Asia
    The country's that line the pockets of AFC officials manage to get their ways. Arab officials in the AFC will also do everything possible to help the midget arab nations like UAE and Qatar.

Unlike Europe, and the rest of the world, winning games won't get you anywhere in Asia.

woorijim repped this.
  11. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    The-afc.com

Kuala Lumpur: Football administrators from across the continent brainstormed on Tuesday in the Joint Meeting of Ad-Hoc Committees for Professional Football and decided to amend the criteria for participation in the AFC club competitions.
    The meeting, which was chaired by Captain Saburo Kawabuchi of Japan, showed a new pathway for the future of continent’s premier club competitions.
    It was decided to introduce penalties in the form of points deduction instead of taking the slot away from the Member Associations (MAs) who fail to meet the criteria of participating in the AFC Champions League.
    The MAs, however, will have to acquire a minimum number of 600 points out of a possible 1000 to qualify for participation.
    The slots for each eligible MA will be decided based on the points ranking of the MAs.

The top two ranked MAs in both the East and West zones will get four direct slots each, while the third-placed MAs will be given three direct and one playoff spot. The fourth-ranked MAs will get two direct and one playoff spot, while the fifth MA will get one direct and one playoff slot. The sixth, seventh and eighth-placed MAs will get only a playoff spot each.

The AFC Club Licensing System will come into force from 2013 and the clubs participating in the AFC Champions League must be authorised with a licence from its MA or league by October 2012.
    It was also decided not to impose penalties on the MAs if they take appropriate decisions or actions against match-fixing and corruption. A task force will also be set up to deal with the match-fixing and corruption cases. The objective of the task force would be to prevent, protect and investigate such cases.
    The members also discussed criteria for participation in the AFC Champions League in 2015 and 2016, new format and schedule of 2013 ACL and AFC Cup finals, possibility of simultaneous kickoff for Group Stage Match Day 6 and several proposals from the members.
    All decisions of this committee need to be ratified by the AFC Competitions Committee and later by the AFC Executive Committee to take effect.

12. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Based on this proposed new method, and using the MA rankings from 2012's criteria (from the ACL and the separate ranking criteria for the AFC Cup), the allocation would look something like this :

[obviously they'll generate different criteria and weightings this time]

Personally, I'd like to see the previous year's ACL winner get a guaranteed Direct Slot, and the previous year's AFC Cup winner get a guaranteed spot in the Playoffs

RANK DIRECT PLAYOFF WEST EAST
    1ST 4 0 QATAR JAPAN
    2ND 4 0 SAUDI ARABIA KOREA REPUBLIC
    3rd 3 1 UAE CHINA
    4th 2 1 UZBEKISTAN AUSTRALIA
    5th 1 1 IRAN THAILAND
    6th 0 1 KUWAIT INDONESIA
    7th 0 1 JORDAN VIETNAM
    8th 0 1 SYRIA SINGAPORE

13. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lmao this is comical
    In the past 6 years, Iranian teams have defeated Saudi teams 18 times and lost only 10 times.

They're cutting Iran again? If they go with the point allocations from last time then Iran will have 1+1 while Saudi, Qatar and UAE will have more than us. Iran is ahead of all of them. The best of them, SA, has a 1:2 win/loss ratio against Iranian teams in the past 6 years!!! wtf!!!

Why are we in this ********ing confederation?

And UAE?! They didn't even get a team out of the group stages last time (with 4 spots allocated to them). The edition before they had 2/4 and the time before it was either 0/4 or 1/4!!! Qatar is also useless. This is ********ing despicable.

Iran is technically a Central Asian country by both geography and culture. I say Iran, UZB, AFG, PAK, KYRG, Tajikistan and some other countries in Central Asia form their own block. We just need support from East Asia to do this. The way things are going and how the arabs are pissing everybody right off, that could work. Only if our officials had the ********ing stones to do it.

14. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Criteria will be massaged to ensure maximum participation by Qatari anad UAE teams for sure.
    maybe go and join UEFA like some of your neighbours !

15. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol nice joke
    Those pussy Europeans answer to the zionists and the americans and it won't change for a good while. And it will be cold day in hell before Iranians accept smtg like that.

I just think if you're going to divide Asia, as it's already done, than dividing it in halves isn't enough, especially with all the corruption by the arabs. In East Asia nobody gangs up on anyone. In the West, Iran is stuck between a sea of secterian arabs.

The best way is to have a third division for Central Asian countries. This way, Iran, UZB etc... won't be screwed over constantly.

16. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    ACL 2013 slots
    According to Chinese media, the AFC Conferance decided to dispute the East Asian slots like this

Country Group Stage Qualifier
    Japan 4 0
    Korea 4 0
    China 3 1
    Australia 2 1
    Thailand 1 1
    Indonesia 0 1
    Vietnam 0 1
    Singapore 0 1
    Note: News from the CFA indicates that the CSL clubs will probally still refuse to play the qualifier

17. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not do a 2 for 2. Each group with 2 teams from the East and two teams from the West. Looking at the AFC Criteria that is provided it seems that the clubs in the AFC Champions League would be able to afford making 2 trips out West/East for matches. Also I feel this will allow more matches between Japanese/Korean clubs with Arabian clubs which I find very exciting and could increase interest in the tournament.

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  19. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sorry but this is just more Euro loving opinion. I still believe the AFC is right to keep clubs like Dordoi Bishkek out of the AFC Champions League. If there league cant help them then how come they deserve the right.

I do admit though that the current system is a bit misleading with South Korea probably more deserving of 4 automatic spots than Uzbekistan.

20. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    A few suggestions proposed by WAFF:

- First: Enhancing coordination on match calendars amongst the regional federations and AFC

- Second: Capitalizing on regional competitions by utilizing them as AFC qualifiers for AFC competitions

- Third: Drawing on our regional federations in the referee selection whereby the referee should come from a zone outside of the participating teams’ zones. This ensures fair play in all AFC matches.

- Fourth: Creating educational and training courses for the regional federations with AFC in conjunction with their competitions.

http://www.the-waff.com/more.asp?newsid=575&catid=6&lang=eng

Now, all we await is a response from everyone else.

What's everyone think to the regional qualification route proposed for AFC qualifications? I assume a WAFF Club Championship would be organised as a prelude for ACL qualficiaition?

el-capitano repped this.
  21. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find the idea okay in a few ways. First I would guess that if this format was to be done we would officially combine CAFF and SAFF. Second I would only use this for World Cup Qualification. AFC Asian Cup qualification should be in groups.

As for Asian Champions League. I still stand by the idea that the points system is good but that when it comes to groups it should be 2 teams from the West and 2 from the East.

22. Deathstar

Deathstar Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Syd Er Knee
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Druryfire said we were to play nicely and these forums should not be the place where these sorts of silly conspiracy theories get aired.

However I do agree that it is disgusting that Qatar is getting four direct spots and Iran just 1+1. Iran has a far stronger football culture than most of the AFC MAs let alone most of those from the Arabian peninsular. But is this allocation official - is there a link on the AFC site?

23. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol @ "conspiracy"

so saying Iranian people aren't intrested in joining Europe and that Europeans are nothing but protectorates of USA/Israel is "conspiracy"?

The foreign policy of every Western nation is dictated by USA/Israel. If USA says jump, all of Europe will jump. If USA says roll over, they will roll over.

but who cares, this is irrelevant.

IMO the best option is to have three divisions in Asia: East, West and Central Asia. Iran will be in Central Asia with countries with the same language and culture while arabs can have the West. Right now Iran is left with a million different arab countries who always gang up on Iran to decrease competition for themselves and also b/c of political reasons. Iran is pretty much the only non-arab country in the western conference and this is a huge problem.

So while Iran has the best head to head record in the past 6-7 editions against other West Asian nations (for example Iranian teams have 18 wins against saudi teams while they've had only 10 against Iranian teams in the previous 6 editions), it always gets less spots than midget countries like UAE and Qatar. The Iranian league is also stronger, much more competitive, games have more spectators etc... Having a greener grass or a shinier facade on your stadium is not professionalism. Being better, stronger and having a league that is actually followed is however. In Europe they give spots according to the strength of diff leagues, in Asia they give spots for having greener grass and shinier building lool

professionalism? suck my balls AFC.

24. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    There's nothing official yet, and AFC have only recently been inspecting in China where these un-official news reports come from.

Shortly they will be inspecting in Qatar where Qatar are starting to report that they will have no changes.

Seems media in whatever country that gets insepcted release stories that suit themselves.

Would agree with you on the Iran. Although, they are reducing their league numbers for the 2013-14 campaign. Can anyone explain why they have taken this decision to reduce the number of teams in the top flight? Malaysia have just done the same. Singapore are thinking of expanding the season to a top half breakaway and UAE are expanding.

25. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And India are going to do complicated things (smaller I-League with conferences than a separate franchise 2-month league)

YA! As an Indian I must say... ******** AIFF!