The Arsenal vs. Wigan Athletic: FA Cup Semifinal, 12 April 2014

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Apr 7, 2014.

1. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha Beats; the most overpriced, underperforming POS headphones on the planet Earth.

2. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also own a Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD/MiniDisc Walkman recorder and a Sony NW-HD5 20GB Network Walkman, the main problem is I like to use an RM-MC40ELK LCD remote and that automatically defaults the setting from line-out to headphone out, which is a weak 5 mW per channel, that's why I use the iPod nano.

I use it to increase the volume on my player, since the nano doesn't put out very much volume, so I use it with a FiiO L3 30-pin-line-out-dock-to-miniplug.

...and there is a cling-wrap modification I learned from Head-Fi.org a few years back to increase both the bass and the noise isolation, and while my setup may not be the best in the business or have the best sound quality, it'll do for the purpose it has. Here is the post of it from way back in 2006:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/193464/sony-ex90-modding-thread

Great choice of IEM's I'll give ya that. :)

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't be a dick.

I've often joked that Bose stands for Buy Other Stereo Equipment, and I have an EE degree, so I can actually explain why that's the case in terms of both Bose's normal lack of build quality and lack of frequency response. So, please continue telling this "child" please.

That said, the Soundlink Mini is actually a very, very good product for what it does: it's a portable bluetooth speaker, and the inherent limitations in Bluetooth mean that it's difficult to get high fidelity sound. It's also really freaking hard to get high quality sound in something that small as well, and the speaker itself sounds, very, very good: I've tried just about every sub-300 bluetooth speaker on the market, and the Soundlink mini matches up quite well with just about everything in that price point. The stuff that sounds better, like the NAD Viso 1, costs twice as much and isn't portable.

The comment about Beats isn't funny. At least Bose tries to make good sound and succeeds occasionally.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We all have hobbies we spend time and money on, man.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. In fact maybe this warrants its own brand new thread in the off-topic forum? ;)

BIGHMW repped this.
  6. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Wembley fits what, around 90,000? And Arsenal gets a 25,000 allocation for the final. More embarrassment for the FA. That won't even cover Arsenal's platinum and gold members. I hope Arsenal is able to get more tickets.

7. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25k each for the two teams, and 37k for corporate and 'Club Wembley' members (whatever that is; do they really need 17k?).

It's starting to look like a Super Bowl. :(

8. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And out of those 37K allocated, maybe 20K show up.

Em-barassing to have your showpiece event and there are 15,000+ empty seats.

9. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That 17k for Club Wembley, isn't that like having a season ticket to Wembley? Who the hell buys a season ticket to a ground? 17k touts I suspect.

10. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    IF I was to fly to London whats the likelihood of me being able to get a ticket, even a nosebleed joint?

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  11. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It's embarassing that you have an FA Cup final and, when you see the midfield seating, there are patches of empty seats there.

12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not good, there is a ton of pent up demand as we haven't been to the FA Cup Final in a decade. Chances of getting one for face value is practically nil. Even if you went to a tout i imagine you would be looking at 400 pounds or more.

13. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    so essentially a 3k outlay for the weekend right anti? damn

14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what i would figure. At the CL Final there were Gooners running around begging people to sell them a ticket for a thousand pounds.

15. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    whoahwhoahwhoah pump the breaks there Mebe

[​IMG]

Feel the zen coming over you once more. Everything's going to be just fine. You and your Bose can continue to live happily despite the nasty things said about them on the internet (but only if you take back the nasty things you said about the GR06).

I don't know what else I can say apart from I felt it was pretty clear that that post was not meant to be taken seriously? Ooooh welllllll.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was actually more upset about being called a Bose-lover. ;) FWIW, the Soundlink Mini gets excellent reviews, which is unusual for Bose.

Also, I try not to talk about hardware I've never used - if I said something about GR06, I apologize, but I've never used them so have nothing to say. I do prefer over ear headphones when possible, though.

Super Llama repped this.
  17. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Heh. Filthy Bose lover.

You said mean things about Beats, but their noise cancellation is incredible:

R9Kevinr9 repped this.
  18. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    *checks if someone posted any great pictures of videos of the game*

*sees some silly conversation about bose*

*leaves thread*

NorthBank repped this.
  19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unfortunately for Beats, their sound is anything but incredible. It's overwhelming bass with no mids or highs. Beats is terrible when compared to Bose. That's not even considering headphones that are actually very good and in the same price range, like those by AudioTechnica, Grado, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, or AKG, just to name a few.

Edit: that video is simultaneously awful and awesome. Wow.

Game's over, most of us are more relieved than excited. Might as well make conversation.

20. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am in the market for an excellent quality portable over the ear phone and want to spend no more than $200. What would you recommend?

21. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ooph, define portable. There are some good Audio-Technica and Sennheiser cans in that price range but they aren't necessarily portable...

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Even BIGHMW who i think started the whole audiofile thing in here, bowed out already.

23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Which world cup was it that we had some games in the states with just the crowd noise as background? I enjoyed those games.

24. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also 'over' (as in on-ear) or 'around' the ear?

I think SR-125i's are still $150 (same I paid for my SR-125's in 1996) if on-ear is cool. Problem with them for public use (which I read into the 'portability' term) is they are incredibly, ridiculously open back noisy. Everybody gets to listen to what you are!

If you definitely want around ear, then Super Llama is on the right tack. Sennheiser has to be the answer under $200. Looks like HD598 are on sale at a lot of places right now for around $180.

EDIT: also I now see over ear has replaced the term around ear for most manufacturers. So you can ignore my Grado plug above. :)

25. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as a comparison, for the semi Arsenal ended up with almost 50,000 seats. At 25,000, it's going to be a random lottery even for the platinum and gold member. I hope enough of the stupid wembley and fa cup allocations are returned so that Arsenal can get enough for most of the season ticket holders that want to go at least.