The Arsenal vs. Wigan Athletic: FA Cup Semifinal, 12 April 2014

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Kickoff is at 5:07 PM GMT, 12:07 PM EDT, 6:07 AM HST at the little stadium pictured above.

There are still plenty of points to play for against weak opposition, but first the small matter of a trip to Wembley for a semifinal appearance in the oldest and most prestigious national cup competition in the world. Let's do this, boys.

Up the Arsenal.
    [​IMG]

2. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad we're the Saturday game, this fixture can't get here soon enough . . .

Ramsey and Ox have to start, we need goals early and often.

2-0 to the Arsenal! COYG!!!

3. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict the boys show some passion for the first time in a while! 3-0 to the Arsenal! Ramsey, Rosicky, Ox

Que Sera Sera...

4. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't see us losing this. I'd guess we are in for a dreary performance where we play not to lose - aka "responding the right way", and we will win it with a moment of individual brilliance from Ramsey or Oxlade-Chamberlain.

5. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot to add that TV coverage will be provided by Fox Sports 2 (booooooo!) in the States.

6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 after? weird.

7. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Simply put, must win (as is the final, should we get there) or I fully expect the season to descend into full-on rending of garments and gnashing of teeth.

That said, 2-1 ugly win.

8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster

I think they come out sparkling looking to shake off this funk. Get up early and finish 2-0.

9. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I suspect AW will make NO changes to the line up, being satisfied with the effort and ability of his veteran lineup, except Kim comes in for Flam only because AW has no choice there. Ox will come on with the 84th minute to try to salvage a tying goal and will actually generate the first three chances of the game for AFC (which Giroud adroitly slams against the signage boards behind the goal, after leaving the goal gaping). Ramsey will come on in the 78th minute, but only when Arteta sustained an injury while being over run by superior talent (whomever Wigan may have, doesn't really matter).

TV5 and Nacho will switch off like headless chickens, for the 1st Wigan goal in the 3rd minute, Arsenal will pass the ball harmlessly around the pitch for 78% possession, and two shots on goal, until the 65th minute.

Afterwards, AW will apologize for the team lacking that "sharpness" and "Crispness" and announce the only thing that matters is to put the game behind them and concentrate on regaining the league form by doubling down on the fundamentals.

AW will further announce that Ramsey should be ready to start in about May or so.

FC RASTA repped this.
  10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it. :)

11. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Ozil supposed to be back for this? None the less, the worst Arsenal can do in this tournament is finish in 4th...so its a trophy either way.

EPL Fan, pookspur, cooper7d7 and 6 others repped this.
  12. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No excuses. Just win.

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, negative reps should be available....SMH.

goonsquad and Tonerl repped this.
  14. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The record is broken and yet we keep hearing the same song again and again. I know that this is just sports, but this has really become depressing as hell. It's like 2008 and 2011 all over again. Hope just Petered out of the bag. I will watch the game, but I am emotionally spent.

15. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Save this season. Just fvcking win.

Fifty repped this.
  16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope Kos is back for this game. It was mentioned somewhere that he would return this week.
    Hopefully Gibbs as well.
    We are in dire need of pace and directness. Ox will bring that and should start instead of Podolski.
    Ramsey will start next to Arteta as well. While Lady Time is catching up with Mikel, it is still worth remembering
    that we have had our best moments the last 2 years when these two anchored the MF.
    I am concerned about that game but still, can't see us losing it.

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we don’t get Kos or Gibbs back, and notwithstanding Ramsey likely starting, relying on last week’s lineup/form, now minus Flam, closes the talent gap between Wigan a good bit and puts a lot more stock into who wants this more. I hope they find that higher want-it-more gear, because you have to think Wigan will be salty for this. I am sure they can, I just hope they show it right out of the gate, because I am afraid it will be hard to find with subs.

18. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boooooooooooooo! indeed. No HD (for me). ugh

Tonerl repped this.
  19. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season aint over man... sheesh you act like we are playing Bayern for the FA cup

20. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    A reminder for anyone that will be relying on a DVR recording to watch this match.

Add at least an extra 60 minutes to the end time, just in case of extra time and penalties.

aphex and Subzero repped this.
  21. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No last year we played Blackburn not Bayern. We might as well have played Bayern though.

The culmination of Wengerisms has worn me down. Overplaying players til they wear down and get injured, buy a whole bunch of players who are not good enough (many of whom are starting now because the manager overplayed the good ones or improperly trained them resorting in injury), lazy tactical approach, being easily outflanked by the opposing manager with any modicum of talent at his disposal ), offering the same old excuses afterward.

We should be conditioned to expect the worst and hope for the best.

Realistically I would have thought we can go undefeated going forward and OP should be the thread starter through the end of the season.

But with this squad, the full on late season collapse is well under way. •sigh•

EPL Fan repped this.
  22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, dude. You're hitting rock bottom. Respect.

23. LAgooner05

LAgooner05 Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Orange County
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

You must not remember the league cup final a few seasons ago. It's hard to stay positive with how the team has been under performing in 2014. Like I have said for the past few days, the team needs this win, more so than getting 4th. Losing the FA cup with the opponents that are left will quite possibly be the biggest dissapointment ever in the history of AFC. It will also leave a very bad effect on the club for quite some time, and we all know its harder to climb out of that low confidence hole.

Well I just started a new job so I wont be able to see it live, but I will have it ready on the dvr for when I get back.

LET US RESTORE SOME PRIDE AND END THE SEASON ON A HIGH! COYG!!!

EPL Fan repped this.
  24. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    This. Says something about our squad that whenever we give up a stupid goal nowadays, none of us are surprised.

25. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why post about a team you have given up on? You want guaranteed wins? Support a team that guarantees winning - Chelsea/PSG/ CITY? They have plenty of room on the bandwagon.

I still think we will get a FA cup and 4th REGARDLESS of Wenger's faults:

Disclaimer: I want Wenger to resign this season as well regardless of the outcome: I hope he steps down with silverware and dignity.