The Arsenal vs. Sunderland, Premier League, 09 February 2013

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me Szczesney gets MOTM. Without him we lose this one. Simple as.

Sagna is the runner-up. He totally stepped up when called on to be center half. Who knew?! His gesture right after FT whistle showed how much of an effort it was and how much it meant to him. Well done Bac! And great to know we can turn to him in the future.

Jenks is still a good RB even if he makes some bone-headed tackles sometimes.

Wilshere's injury is the biggest concern coming out of this. Plus what's the deal w/ Koz... was he sick or injured?

[Edit: Just read AW's post-match and Koz has a calf-problem since FRA-GER midweek and Jack got a knock on the thigh. Let's hope they are short term as is advertised]

p.s. I got to watch this live after all... for once the trees won a recent battle with the wind.

3. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same. Only problem is that I had to watch in SD as my satellite was covered in snow.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sagna could be the new cannavaro lol

5. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    sunderland probably did deserve a few yellows that were not given, but in all honesty jenkinson's yellows were more deserved than not.
    the first was a bad tackle. the second was an honest attempt that he just simply missed.

6. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with yoss. I find it astonishing that someone could watch that match and feel that Arsenal committed more than twice as many fouls as Sunderland, yet that's what Taylor thought, calling 13 fouls on Arsenal and only 6 (!) on Sunderland.

As for Jenkinson, I have no complaints, except to say that the same things went unpunished the other way. I'd say he deserved what he got, but Cattermole and Larsson should've been sent off, as well. As an aside, Jenkinson's first yellow came for a reaction to at least two bad fouls (plus one possibly red-worthy lunge by Bramble that didn't connect) by Sunderland that went unpunished right before his. I like his attitude.

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have the luxury of brushing of Jenk's red b\c of Scez and Sagna's heroics. Let's face it, we all knew he was getting sent off after his first yellow; it was just a question of 'when'? Jenks put his team at a significant disadvantage and very easily could have cost Arsenal the match. He has to do better - good attitude or not.

charlie15 repped this.
  8. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No question.

9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DIMITAR BERBATOV! repped this.
  10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disputing that at all. It's the lack of consistency that was frustrating. Larson and others were allowed several nasty tackles before getting carded. Jenkinson wasn't shown that same leniency.

In addition, one of the excellent saves that Szezc made was only required because the Sunderland player clearly handled the ball to gain control of it. And on at least two occasions that I can recall, Sunderland players were using two hands on the shoulders of our defenders to vault up for headers, yet weren't even called for it.

Don't get me wrong. If we had drawn, it would've been primarily down to our profligacy in front of their net. But it didn't help that for much of that match it felt like we were 10 against 12.

Tonerl repped this.
  11. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    very true. i agree, it's frustrating.
    i'm just saying that at least in terms of our own team's yellows we weren't ripped off with nothings turned into somethings by the ref. they were both fair enough. it's just a pity it wasn't equal across the board.

Tonerl repped this.
  12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a weird way, I was a little bit encouraged by this. Not by our missing the chances obviously, but by how many we created. Even 11 against 10 we had several golden chances.

Sleepy Spaceman repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    jenkinson's first yellow was clearly deserved but i thought the second was rather soft even without taking into account the crap that sunderland were getting away with.

15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    he had one of his boneheads that nearly led to a goal but i thought he was otherwise decent and improved (but, honestly, i haven't seen him in a couple of months). i agree, he did very well as an emergency right back. :D
    i agree. you could see giroud being completely out of gas towards the end. and, as you said, with walcott, you have a chance to just hoof it and hope for a counter.
    i thought he was decent and, a couple of times, even got the ball away quickly. i do wish he'd be more comfortable shooting, i think he's got a very good shot (especially from the left side). i always forget how decent as an aerial presence defensively, particularly in set piece, considering how crappy he is in the air offensively.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. Giroud was winning defensive headers in the end despite being "out of gas." I agree that it would've been good to keep Theo in there to stretch the field at the end, but we needed Giroud's height.

daedalus and Sleepy Spaceman repped this.
  17. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    I too, think Giroud didn't "run out of gas"...what I did notice, for the first time,
    was the length of his stride!
    Quite amazing.

18. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You should see the .gif I saw o_O

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah, this was very encouraging. We often struggle to create chances, but had so many golden chances that were fluffed, it makes me feel better about the attack now.

20. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    new thread required. onward and upward tonerl

21. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lamb repped this.
  22. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i dig what you're saying (and, you're right, he was still winning defensive headers and they did have quite a few set pieces for us to contend with). i thought the addition of diaby helped (with air defense) and having walcott or somebody who could keep threatening would have been a positive.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. It was a tough call, and I wonder if maybe pulling Cazorla would've been a better idea....but then you'd lose what little chance you had of retaining possession..... Like I said, tough call made even tougher by the red card.

24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    absolutely. the team played well and showed a lot of determination, though.