The Arsenal v Swansea City : March 25th 2014 MATCHDAY THREAD

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by goonermaui, Mar 23, 2014.

1. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Nah, he is talking bollix about Wilshere. He improved vastly after 17 - all the way up to when he had the big injury - which he got partly because he was playing so damm much. Simplistic bullshit. Does he have anything to say about Manure's woes right now? I wanna hear him talk about that.

wanye_stirrear repped this.
  2. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Man Wilshire hasn't improved he's regressed this year

3. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Come'on... THIS YEAR he's been shite - First one to agree. He has not improved since 17? Bullshit. He only got to Bolton at 17/18. He didn't get any better 17 -20? Ramsey regressed for 18 months after he came back. Lookit him now.

goonsquad repped this.
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jury's still out on Jack - that's the proper conclusion. I think he's gotten better technically and he's gotten better in terms of attacking, but his awareness is a major issue.

5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    nah, he speaking rubbish about not having leaders. Rosicky goes in for tackles all the time. Thats just cliche.

THe shit about Wilshere was legit to me.

Jack plays the same way he has played since he broke in to the first team. He has tunnel vision, tries to overpower everyone when he cannot, poor awareness, and isnt a goal scoring or goal creation threat (which is my biggest gripe with the guy).

You can say injuries, but I havent seen any big improvement with regards to dude.

6. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    i doubt scholes really meant to be all specific when he was talking about his age. ever since he came back wilshere has been awful. well over a year. okay, ramsey has seemingly turned things around, but wilshere really hasn't done anything. scholes makes a fair point, and i'm happy he said it.

7. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Some thoughts on this. I think he's trying to do too much. I think Prince is right that his head got blown up and now talks about emulating Mr Hollywood Stevie G. and shit. Agree his tactical has been his biggest subpar but I don't think he's a lost cause on that because he's shown well before - he needs to get back to basics on that, play within himself with humility and play for his teammates. Then we'll see how far he can come.

8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We definitely lack midfield discipline, but we didn't early on in the season. To start this season I was very pleased with the structure we showed in midfield.

It just comes down to the biggest cliche in the book: playing midfield well is an incredibly tiring thing to do. Looking at this team early in the season I have confidence we can play with discipline and that we have good leaders on the pitch. But we've played the same players there pretty much the ENTIRE season.

What I'm trying to say is Arsene may have improved tactically this year. But he still has major problems in terms of man management.

DutchCane, bigredfutbol and DaPrince84 repped this.
  9. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Maybe I just remember it differently but before Wilshere got injured he had some excellent games and became one of our automatic starters - Wenger playing him almost every game. I'm going by recollection but so do I have that wrong? The expectation was that he was going to really take off but then his ankle gave out and was off for 17 months. He has not been the same since, I agree.

Oh and fck Paul Scholes 25 year professional and he never learned how to make a tackle without trying to maim his fellow professionals.

10. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York

I didn't say I agree with ALL of it, I said he's right in many ways. The issues hes' right on are the tactics, and gameplan and Wilshire. Everything else just dumb shiite that sells and gets clicks.

11. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    if by man management you mean buying players to rotate, then yes.

Super Llama repped this.
  12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    no one said he is.

13. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Let the race for 4th place begin!...........like a trophy........=(

EPL Fan, XaviandXabi and DutchCane repped this.
  14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilshere was invisible today. Wenger should make him sit out a few weeks after that performance.

EPL Fan, DutchCane and RitztotheRubble repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched it. For 70 mins there were 3 words in my head: No. End. Product.

Then there was 1 minute of glorious contradiction. Incisive, lethal, clinical play by Gibbs, Poldi & Giroud.

Followed by 20 mins of luck, both good & bad...

Good: No PK called on Poldi's stupid push, and Bony failing to duplicate his 1st half headed strike.
    Bad: Pinball on our 6 (no fault of Szcz or Flam, but maybe Per)
    Good: Bizarre FT whistle while Swans have a near 1-on-1 w/ our keeper (who says we don't get some calls)

In the end 1pt is not unfair, even if we dominated possession so much.

Last but not least, a big shout to our fullbacks who were FANTASTIC tonite. Gibbs was as lively as I've ever seen him.

Onward.

16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This is how i felt after today's game.

17. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Man, I genuinely thought the whole 'crisis' talk was over this season. We were brilliant at times but we've been severely woeful. The season is basically over unless we pull of a miracle and win the FA.

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning the FA Cup wouldn't be a miracle, not winning it would be a disaster.

darcgun, DutchCane and Super Llama repped this.
  19. 88AgentS

88AgentS Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish players actually had to compete for spots on the team.

20. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah pretty much.

I'd even settle for rotating the players that he had when he had a full team to start the season and no injuries. Why were Ozil and Ramsey run into the ground? Rosicky and others could have effectively spelled them and then we would have had those two for the big games. Instead they're injured and Rosicky, Arteta, Giroud, et al are being run ragged.

21. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    #321 goonermaui, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    As difficult as it was to choose..... To have a day with so many friends and Jeff's last day here...

...there really was no choice.

P1030785.JPG

22. ardee

ardee Member

Sep 30, 2011
    I'm verging on a complete meltdown if I'm honest. Just seeing the news that Ramsey is still two weeks away has put me on the edge. Enough is enough.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Scholes is not fit for punditry and is rehashing what we have said for 5 years. Wilshere peaked in 2011 and has been 60% shit and 40% good since then. Scholes should talk about utd atm he was a great player but comes across as a bit of a mong on camera, i think he should leave it to neville

DutchCane repped this.
  24. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i'll get flames, but the ride was good whilst it lasted.

We CAN win the Cup, and should we do it would be a good platform to build on. If anything, we should take the negative of this league run into the positive of the Cup.

But then we lost this league on a few key results IMO. Stoke away, United at home and Everton at home. Had we won all of these games, we'd still be top by some margin. Forget Pool away or City away or even Chelsea away. It's we've slipped up against the shitty teams (Everton aren't shit, but United, seriously? should have got a win off them at LEAST this season).

I think Arsene is not motivating the team properly and there are TOO MANY laboured performances. The thing is we have good resilience and can bounce back for the most part, but why do we need to? We're our own worst enemy, period. this has been the case for MANY years now.

We can beat Wigan, then Hull/Sheff in the final. Once then, should we spend big we can beat City (IMO they have the edge now) to their title.

25. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Miracle? IMO no. But we need it, to give the club a true lift.