THE ARSENAL v Man.City : Saturday March 29th MATCHDAY THREAD

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by goonermaui, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't even have a wife: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DaPrince84 and Tonerl repped this.
  2. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gnabry has more prem experience than Sanogo, and he has shown some flashes of being really good. I just think bringing those 2 on for the last 10-12 minutes would have offered a lot more towards actually winning than bringing on Sanogo. But I get your point, there weren't exactly any great options to sub on.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  3. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I've seen this movie before. And the ending is a real downer. :(

WoodDraw, DaPrince84 and LAgooner05 repped this.
  4. LAgooner05

LAgooner05 Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Orange County
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Till we see him in full training and on the starting line/bench on the match day, we can't even take the clubs word seriously.

5. octavii

octavii Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For those saying we still have a chance at the league: I like to take Jose Mourinho's snakey stance. The league is not ours to win. We depend on too many wishful results gift wrapped by Santa. Thats more of an inheritence. We had some heavy winds and bumpy roads. Too much blood dripping from my organ called pride. Also, if we're in a race, its not for the title but something called time. Mikel, Bacary, Tomas and some others have expiration dates. Olivier can improve but we need someone good now, not tommorow. I would love to see us win but we cant win something that we cant control.

DutchCane repped this.
  6. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Only improvement that would matter for OG is speed/quickness unless he's getting a speed transplant he is what he is. Not good enough

7. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can develop speed, but our physios and trainers have shown that they don't always know what they are doing.

8. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    If I'm not mistaken, the last few weeks of the league often depend on teams with more points than those below them, losing a match or two.
    Ergo, if there is still a mathematical possibility of my team winning the league, I hold on to that,
    and believe that it is still under our control, if we can fight to the end.

Just waiting for TV confirmation before posting new matchday thread.

goonsquad repped this.
  9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure even the best physios in the world could improve Giroud's speed.

DutchCane and The Foo Fighter repped this.
  10. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Its like turning around the Titanic

XaviandXabi and charlie15 repped this.
  11. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Seriously, for a strike or footballer in general, Giroud lacks pace and dribbling skills. I don't think he's ever scored a solo goal for us. He can't take anyone on and that's what we desperately need.

CRASH 4 ARSENAL repped this.
  12. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    You guys are out of your minds if you think Giroud will improve. The guy is 27. This is probably the best he'll be and i doubt he'll pull a RVP and become a goal scoring machine. Giroud shows no promise.

Fifty repped this.
  13. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Not even the one from Chelsea?

WoodDraw repped this.
  14. octavii

octavii Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We mean on the pitch, not in Olivier's hotel room ;)

charlie15 and XaviandXabi repped this.
  15. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I saw John Cross' blog about Podolski and I asked: Why can't he play as a false 9?

Have him attack from the left and, when he does, push someone out left to protect Gibbs/Monreal?

Serious question.

16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    No one is going to develop Giroud's speed, he is what he is, it's genetic.

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can work on technique and help him get an extra little bit of burst. No one's going to turn him into Walcott, but right now he's slower than Mertesacker.

18. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, speed is partially genetic, but you can train the muscles so that you become quicker. It's what sprinters do. It's more muscle than anything else, and with the right workouts you can make serious bounds in your quickness and sprint speed. Giroud probably can't because he doesn't want to

19. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    More like Giroud is the iceberg

20. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He is not creative with the ball at his feet, and he's incredibly one-footed, meaning he could never cut in from the left. Maybe the right, but that would involve changing the rest of the attacking system too.

21. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if any of his physios in France or England have heard about this technology?

WoodDraw, Fifty and charlie15 repped this.
  22. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Clearly you can improve your quickness through repetition. Someone who has driven a car for thirty years hits the brakes more quickly in an emergency situation than someone who is just learning to drive. But there is a genetic limit to how quick they can become and Giroud should already have benefited from the effect that repetitive movements on a soccer field would have on his quickness.

Mature professional sprinters, i.e. sprinters in their mid to late 20s (the same age as Giroud) are generally looking for improvements of less than two tenths of second in a 100 meter sprint. If you see improvements of more than two tenths of a second in a mature sprinter, they are probably on a steroid regimen. At a minimum, Giroud would need improvements of more than a second. The only way he might get there is to start taking steroids. So I will repeat, he is what he is. He isn't world class, in big games he isn't going to pick the team up and carry it on his shoulders, but with 18 goals in all competitions, he has contributed to Arsenal's success this year.

Tonerl repped this.