The Arsenal v Aston Villa: Saturday Nov. 24th MATCHDAY THREAD

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by goonermaui, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramsey is too far along in his career to loan out. If he can't cut it, it's time to sell him.

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. A loan probably is the best thing for him now (Wigan would be perfect), but I don't think he'd be able to come back and be an important part of the team afterward. How many senior players have gone out on loan and come back to contribute for us?

3. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No depth. No rotation. The season is still long. We look like a midtable team. Why did we sell Alex Song? When is Diaby and Rosicky coming back? Oh, clean sheet! Thank you Steve Bould!

4. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Combined with the fact that he has a good game once every 3 months, fans really don't know whether to shit or go blind with this fella. He's been playing on the fumes of his last good game so hopefully he has a good one soon. He's due.

5. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Walcott. If we don't have Walcott in the lineup, we are going to struggle to create goals against very mediocre opposition.

6. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    At this point it really doesn't matter. Arsenal has to do what's best for Arsenal and what's best for Aaron Ramsey is a lower priority. The shame of it is (and more important for the present situation), I don't see a way for Ramsey to play himself back into a long-term future with the club, because there are few if any situations where he can be justified playing.

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    it wasnt Ramsey today although he has become a scapegoat.

Ox and Podolski were awful and teams have figured out how to stop Arteta's influence.

Ramsey actually had a decent match today and was probably our best player in the midfield. He was the only guy who drove into the box to get at the end of chance which is why he ended up with 2 today. He has to finish better tho.

Of all the things to criticize in our attack today, Ramsey is the lowest on the totem pole, imo.

88AgentS and Tonerl repped this.
  8. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Ramsey is the new Denilson. People are stupid. Ramsey was very good today. This is again why another ball distributor in the midfield is key. Sahin or Diaby would have improved our ball circulation completely.

9. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Ok I guess I have to watch the Ramsey vs A.Villa comp when it comes up on youtube. Because I thought he was bad. However, it still remains that, the problem with him is that he is scared to go forward when in the defensive third. This is why Wilshere/Diaby is so crucial to our team. They don't give us the problem of... Arteta->Mert
    Mert->Kos
    Kos->Ramsey
    Ramsey->Mert.... and the cycle continues. Diaby/Wilshere would be able to make the transition and be able to dribble out of there or make the pass to move forward. Ramsey cannot do that, so ends up keeping our possession in the defensive third.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Match stats of the midfield today

Arteta:
    66/69 passes
    6/7 in the attacking 3rd
    No chances created
    5 interceptions
    2/5 on tackles
    no shot attempts

Cazorla:
    65/77 passes
    32/39 in the attacking 3rd
    One chance created
    2/2 on take ons
    1/3 on crosses
    2 shots, 1 off target, 1 blocked (both outside of penalty area)

Ramsey:
    72/80 passes
    24/26 in the attacking 3rd
    3 chances created
    didnt send in a cross or take anyone on
    4 shots, 1 on target, 2 off target, 2 chances each inside and outside the penalty area

idk, I think Ramsey was pretty solid today and just looking at the opta numbers they back me up. Ramsey's big problem is that he does tend to slow things down and over-elaborate but he does A LOT of thing well for us.

He gets derided by fans because we need a new scapegoat no matter how he plays.

11. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    since when did diaby become some sort of miracle working saviour of arsenal fc. you must be kidding. for every strong game he had, he was a total gimbot in the next (and that's just the 2 in 10 he was available to earn his megamoney). when he dribbles the ball forward much of the time he counts blades of grass until he is surrounded by opposition players. he does play well......occasionally....but let's be honest with ourselves here: abou diaby will not turn us into a league winning side, ever.

ps. i sort of agree and disagree about ramsey. he's not that effective, but there were plenty more out there today just as culpable.

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Diaby had an excellent start to this season. I think his injury issues are clouding that (which is fair, he should be gone from this club because of those issues).

13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's been an interesting development this season, and it's a good question...
    Which Prince answered for me....

But, we're just all grasping for straws. We're just not very deep. It's hard for a weaker team to play at this level day after day after day. I mean, we had a good week: we thrashed Spurs and we won in the CL. And coming into a game with a Villa that is much tougher than those of "normal" bottom-feeders, well, it was always going to be a slog.

This team, like it has been for most of the past decade, is on a knife's edge. A lot of things have to come together perfectly for us to play really well. And sometimes we get it. And other times we don't.

14. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    That's part of it, but it also has to do with the "teamness" of our offensive production this year. That's to say, we're missing a player like RVP or Henry, a player capable of threatening the opponent's goal in a myriad of different ways from all sorts of positions.

As it is, we have bunch of good enough players who have to be playing well and have all the pieces fit together to form a goal threat as a complete unit. Today, Walcott was the piece we were missing. With Walcott, we could generate 3 goals against Fulham and 5 against Spurs but without him we couldn't generate anything against Villa.

15. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I only watched first half today, and thought he was poor offensively but decent defensively. From what I hear he improved in the second half. He was negative going forward in the first and gave the ball away dangerously a couple of times. I think we needed someone to relieve pressure from Arteta , as he was being marked tightly when the ball came out of the back. Sounds like the boss had a chat with him at the half.

16. BenP

BenP Member

May 23, 2006
    Its really lame to blame Ramsey. I thought he was decent today, one of our better players.

The problem is we don't have good enough players in general and the manager employs tactics that aren't getting the most out of what we do have.

17. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Darth Norteño and -apoc- repped this.
  18. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland

wenger feeling the pressure?

19. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I think many are missing the point with Ramsey...it's not so much that he is terrible--although sometimes he is. It's that he changes the dynamic of our attack to a way that we are not built for. AW seems to always stress quick passing and moving the ball up the pitch, yet he always seems to have a Ramsey or Denilson who do little to help this goal. My main criticism of Ramsey is that he dwells on the ball many times for no reason giving the defenders time to get into position. He also plays with his head down whenever a defender is near and misses SOOOO many opportunities to create chances. He will be a very nice player on a lower mid-table team where he will see more space and have more freedom to move about, IMHO.

Ox was bad and the last game as well. He is not giving us the width we needed. We missed Song and RVP today, can we start piling cash in our trophy cabinet?

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but he really handles himself so well. You could see that they were bothering him, but he kept his cool (like some other managers don't do nearly as well as he does), kept his wit, and made the journos look like sharks I thought.

The best answer to shut everyone up of course is to win the next game, and then the next game after that. So let's just hope for that!

21. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I agree with this. The real negative with Ramsey (and similarity with Denilson for that matter) is that his overall lack of quality is such that we're never going to win a game for having Ramsey in the lineup. It's not that he was worse than Cazorla or Ox yesterday, it's the fact that he can't create anything in a situation where the team needs it to beat a team they should be beating.

With what he's shown us for the last year or so, he has a low floor and a low ceiling. He's young enough to where there's hope that he'll get better, but too old to think that it will be for us. He can't spare enough pitch time for him to develop.

22. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    maybe the best answer would have been to explain why we finished the match without any out and out strikers, seemingly happy to settle for a draw against a team in the relegation zone.

23. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I saw a poor performance from Olivier. Highlited by the wasted chance at 52' where he made Wenger drop the F bomb on TV.

24. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Here is a transcript of some of his comments:

(Link: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8278978/Arsène-Wenger-hits-back-at-Arsenal-critics-after-0-0-draw-at-Aston-Villa)

The Frenchman's decision to replace Olivier Giroud with Francis Coquelin with two minutes remaining led to a chorus of 'you don't know what you're doing' from the visiting fans.
    When asked about the chants at the post-match press conference, Wenger said: "I don't want to comment on that. I do my job and do my best for the club.
    "I leave it to you to judge. I try to be as good as I can be. Is it hurtful? Look, I have managed for 30 years at the top level and I have to convince you I can manage the team?
    "How many games have you managed? I promise you if you manage one I will sit in the stands and chant 'you know what you are doing!'"
    When questioned about the substitution, Wenger said: "You can discuss every substitution. You think what you want.
    "I do my job and I let people judge it. I do that every day and I do my best every day. I know why I do it.
    "What is the thinking behind the substitution? I will not explain every decision I make, you judge the game and I sit here and explain to you our game.
    "You are all great managers! I read the newspapers every day and I can tell you that you are always great managers!"
    On the Gunners' performance, Wenger added: "We were a little bit frustrated. We expected a difficult game because we played an intense game last Saturday against Tottenham.
    "We had a Champions League game on Wednesday night so we knew it would be hard.
    "Always, when you play away from home after the Champions League it can be difficult. We lacked a bit of sharpness today in the final third. Physically we were jaded."

Definitely feeling the pressure.

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Every striker misses chances at some point - Giroud's link up play and movement is superb, and his technique is great. His only real weaknesses are that he occasionally doesn't keep his composure in front of goal, and he lacks pace.