The Arsenal v Aston Villa: Saturday Nov. 24th MATCHDAY THREAD

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by goonermaui, Nov 21, 2012.

1. frednmethod

frednmethod Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's like the sixth time after Gervinho came on that his first touch failed him...

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arshavin lets a cross go right past him for a throw-in. Because of course he does.

3. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think he just said "Coq Alert"

4. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're being too critical. This point might be the difference between us and WBA at the end of the season . . . sigh.

K:thecore repped this.
  5. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
  6. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit to Villa. They managed to combine pressing and bunkering very effectively today.

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well that cross just about sums up this game. Just an awful showing.

8. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That was some bullshit. Who is the leader of our attack? Everyone is looking to pass off the responsibility to everybody else

10. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Pathetic performance from everyone. This hangover sucks even more now. Points a point though..

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Arteta, Cazorla, Podolski, and Ox were all poor today. Gave us nothing.

12. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    WEFNDUNIUNFEIFKOEMFOEJfj9aj

THAT IS PATHETIC!

We just get gifted all this money. Wenger better spend EVERY ********ING GODDAMN CENT OF IT because we arent even looking a chance for 5th and 6th at the moment. Arsharvin? Ramsey? Gervinho? ******** me, is that the best we can do these days? What a joke. I refuse to spend any more money on this club via membership or merchandise til they change things, its embarrassing to have gone from what we were to what we are. I can handle not winning. I cant handle these gutless performances. And we keep getting them over and over again.

13. ogadeni

ogadeni Member

Oct 30, 2009
    San Jose, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From get go i didn't see any urgency to win. AW is happy as long as he is close to # 4 which is as good as winning a cup to him....time to do some serious house cleaning....we can not afford to waste time every weekend....We need a winning team...IMO believe Theo would have mad a difference tonight AOC was poor...

14. BenP

BenP Member

May 23, 2006
    Two things:

1) The team is not good enough talent wise. Its not about trying, there isn't enough talent when we rest players or have injuries. Big money buys are essential.

2) Tactically, Wenger needs to change things. Teams have figured out that pressing Arteta high up the field when he receives the ball totally stifles our attack. Without Diaby or a similar player, we can't get anything going. Ideally, we need better players, but a tactical change could help in the short run.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much to write home about on this one.

BUT my favorite moment of the match was when Weiman was going full speed heads-down to a 50/50 ball down the left flank against Jenks. Then Carl just quickly & calmly dispossesses him, and Gary O'Neil says "I guess Weiman didn't watch the DVD against his opponent there" :p i.e. no way he was beating Jenks for pace.

Overall I thought our defense was just good enough, and Sczezney saved our butts late into 2T w/ a finger-tip save. Great to see Mertesacker so solid as our shoe-in CB these days. But offensively we were anemic.

Hopefully our big run this season will start soon!!

16. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    AOC is being groomed to be a midfielder, and yes he was poor tonight. I was rooting for him to get the start but he didn't do much of anything. To me though, his talent is far beyond Ramsey's. To me Ramsey should be on the first thing smoking to Bolton/Reading or any bottom feeder club. We had no fluidity in midfield and that was down to Ramsey. Hopefully sometime in the near future we can have depth that can win games. Not sure when this will be or if this will be, but spend some money Wenger for once.

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What a thoroughly miserable day.

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    looks like it may be time to bring back the "mental strength meter"

Boogie_Down repped this.
  19. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Ox will be better--he's only just coming back. But there is such incredible inconsistency from the likes of Cazorla and Podolski.

It should also be mentioned that Giroud was great, again

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Without Wilshere in mid with Cazorla, the other side just keys on Santi. Ramsey doesn't play that kind of game.

Ox is getting better. Gervinho was obviously not in form, should not have been played.

21. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say this but I feel like whenever we start Ramsey the team struggles for fluidity through the middle. I dont have the stats and records but thats just how it seems to me since maybe March of last season. What happened to the class, movement and touches of brilliance he had? He looks more Denilison-esque with every game...

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i guess

but he cannot create for himself so its hard to rate him high or low without getting a chance.

He holds that ball well and wins the ball in the air tho, which is a positive. But again, no one in the attack wins the 2nd ball. Its looking more like dude needs a strike partner to really make him prolific.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    4-4-2 with Theo/Giroud looks like a possibility.

24. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    wenger has taught him well...?

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He needs to go on loan for a season. He holds the ball too long, and gets caught in possession to easily.

It's a shame he came to us from Cardiff, because Swansea would be the perfect place for him to go on loan.