The Arsenal at Wigan Athletic Pre-During-Post Matchday Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Dec 17, 2012.

1. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    it would have helped if we had actually tried to go down the left once in a while.

2. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's so good that I got Barca to pay me £30 million for him in the January 2013 window.

3. 88AgentS

88AgentS Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Podolski is worthless to me in Fifa13, besides the fact that he has a rocket launcher shot.

There were at least two offensive runs he made today where he would have been clean through but Walcott or Wilshere tried to take another dribble and got fouled/loss the ball.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He had two great blocks at 32'. Gerv would not have had those. He depends on his mids for offense and they were not having a good day offensively. It was good day for avoiding injury.

5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    if he doesnt get the ball, he doesnt do anything.

6. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    tbf, this is true with anyone who plays on the wing.

7. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pods has been too inconsistent. I thought when he signed he was a striker, not a winger.

8. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is both.

9. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the natural football position for Lukas Podolski?

10. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    he started out as a striker/second striker afaik and has gradually been moved out to a left sided, wide forward.

11. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, he's basically out of his position at this moment.

12. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    hmm, it's hard to say really, because he has been successful in both positions, as a striker for cologne and as a wide forward for germany, but i guess his preferred position is as a striker.

13. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Just got to watch the match...pretty "meh" performance all the way around. Defense was under a lot of pressure, but handled it pretty well I think.

Midfield 3 were pretty weak today IMHO--don't know if it's that they are tired or were under too much pressure or what, we couldn't get the ball into their third to save our life.

Anyway, 3 points is 3 points...we are in 3rd for the moment with some favorable results going our way elsewhere. I'll take it.

14. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    The fans should appreciate the reality that our performances have actually been more consistent than they've been given credit for. Swansea, Reading, and today against Wigan all look the same to me from Arsenal's point of view. The difference in results are almost entirely due to the the performance of the opponents imo.

Walcott has really put us in a bind. We can go back and forth (and some have) regarding whether Walcott's desire to play center forward is a smokescreen or not. But, it's bad news for Arsenal either way. Walcott has a position, he's a winger. If he plays center forward, he hurts himself, Giroud, and Podolski. But if it's about money, and we give him the contract he wants, does he have any transfer value left over?

Wenger isn't doing us any favors either. We've got a decent enough squad. Unfortunately Wenger insists on coaching it. Incompetently.

red & wite army repped this.
  15. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    One more thing. Our goal was a soft foul but not a soft call. The penalty call was ice cold. Walcott gets his square in front of Beausejour and clearly has control of the ball in the area. Beausejour runs up the back of him and knocks him over, never even makes a play on the ball. Any other call would have been outrageous.

Either one of their handball shouts in extra time could have been given, but as a practical matter very rarely are where the player has his arm pinned against his body.

16. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda agree with him that our performance was shambolic, but a win is a win. 3rd is a pretty good position to be in considering how we have been.

17. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent considering how we have been. Overall it could be much, much better with some games being winable but we could not do.

But I will look at this. Reading kept Man City at 0-1 while they could only keep us at 2-5. At our best we are among the best.

Sleepy Spaceman repped this.
  18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Would poldi have a shot as a striker?

19. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    TV5 has been very disciplined, for him, in the past few games. Kudos to him. Good win. Glad to see the squad on the bounce. Will be interesting to see who leaves/comes in IF ANY in the January Window.

Tonerl repped this.
  20. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see one of the most vocal of the 'Vermaelen is pants' crowd acknowledge his play, which as you said has been pretty solid for the past few (or more) matches. He's not as good as many think, but he's also nowhere near as bad as a few have made him out to be.

21. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We played him there for a couple of games near the start of the season and he was pants, in fairness to him he was just settling in to a new country/league so its hardly fair to judge him. I think he would have buried that chance that Theo had yesterday from Ox's cross

thebigman repped this.
  22. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Yep

23. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theo as CF is an intriguing idea...kind of like how Arshavin at CF was a couple of seasons ago. Ultimately, he is not our answer through the middle, this I believe.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    neither is giroud

wanye_stirrear repped this.
  25. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I wonder if all of the talk of a new striker is an indirect admission that Wenger got it wrong with Giroud. I mean, it's only been half a season. Actually, Giroud, Gervinho, Chamakh, Arshavin...Wenger's record with forwards and strikers has not been that great lately. Personally, I think he got it right with Podolski and Theo (finally), but even they are inconsistent.