The annual Franco-Allemande/Deutsch-Französische Club Contest (AKA UEFA WCL 2012/2013)

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Jenson, Jun 19, 2012.

1. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    shlj and blissett repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Final score Torres 0 Arsenal 1 (Fahey)
    Arsenal goes through 4-1 on aggregate.

3. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Go go Göteborg!

K/G lists Jane Törnqvist as being on their bench. UEFA did this last week, and I thought it must be one of UEFA's little peculiarities, and I tried to convince anyone who would listen of that, too, because I saw her retire last year, with my own eyes. Oh well.

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Göteborg 1 - Juvisy 3 :eek: good news for French Football, unexpected big win for Juvisy.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'll bet debz watched it and i'm dying to hear her take on it. with the little info i have i gather soubeyrand is getting that proverbial faint praise and that catala was so good that mathivet's decision to leave her on the bench is raising eyebrows, but i think it was the right call. parking the bus for an hour and then bringing in your most vivacious player when everyone else is tiring makes enormous sense to me overtime or no overtime. hats off to her.

6. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yeah, that didn't really go so well, did it?

The worst part was that I couldn't follow the second half live, although I left the UEFA livestream up. When I came back, it didn't update anything immediately, even the score – but rather, it went through and updated each event in turn, at a rate of about one every two seconds. Therefore I got all the second half compressed into a space of about a minute and a half. I don't recommend doing this; I got a little bit of emotional whiplash from the whole experience.

Meanwhile, in Russia, Pohlers. Which means Mittag better get her game on tonight if she wants to keep up with the most-goals-scored-in-WCL thing. I have no objection to that.

This is a little late, but still fun: from UEFA, Schelin (pretending to speak French), interviewed after last's weeks pasting of LdB, saying that nothing can stop Lyon.

7. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes you say it , Mathivet won the battle , the idea to wait until the second half and then unleash Catala's energy was a tactical masterpiece ...chapeau bas !
    Personally I was scared for Juvisy , because of the two energy demanding matches they made in a very short time and I also read an article were Catala described the most dangerous Goteborg player as "the big and tall number 10".....I said to myself ,Juvisy players don't even know who Landstrom is :eek: ...so they didn't accurately studied Goteborg on video ! that's looks like an upcoming catastrophe .
    Apparently Mathivet decided to concentrate on her team rather than study the swedish ....which is fine but personally I prefer to know my opponent strength and weakness...
    Anyway , the game plan was let them attack , spend them energy , we track them we expose their technical abilities.... and it was successful because the midfield trio and a great game , Soubeyrand better than usual , Thiney is regaining her form and Coquet woman of the match in my opinion plus young Diani very good at putting pressure on centre backs .
    Goteborg had a bad game , I was definitely expecting more from them , the big tall number 10 was unrecognizable..what happened to her ?... only Schough showed something interesting when she came in .
    Goteborg scored first and this could had demoralized Juvisy , however , it galvanized them !
    The Camile Catala festival started , it was like a tornado hitted Goteborg , Juvisy could have scored even more if they didn't made some mistakes with the assist.
    Catala has proved to be the next big thing on international scale , Mathivet an excellent tactical coach , Coquet THE most underestimated french player.
    It was a great victory, a french victory against who said our league is weak apart Lyon.:p

guignol repped this.
  8. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    A curioisity , the four semi finalist beat their opponents at home and away , I think that never happened in the history of the tournament.

Lusankya and blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I can't say I am a great "connaisseur", but I incidentally watched Landtsröm play in 1.FFC Frankfurt last season (I basically was following them because of japanese Kumagai in the team ^^) and I have to say that if anything happened to her, it was already happening last season... She always was slow and unreliable in 2011-2012 season and, although I wasn't following her in the previous years, I've got the feeling that she's on the descending end of her career...

10. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Indeed, you are correct. :thumbsup:
    The semi finalists of the 2003-04 and 2008-09 season came close, though, by winning 7 out of their 8 quarterfinal matches.

blissett repped this.
  11. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    "The big and tall number 10" is the most dangerous player? I suppose that's often true, of many teams, so it's a good guess.
    [grump] When was she ever the most dangerous player on the pitch, and for what team?

Landström does have a specific use, a use that requires pretty solid integration with her teammates. She never managed it with her WPS team. She is new to this Damallsvenskan team. She may be helpful to Göteborg yet this season, and I certainly hope that she is. But I'm not at all surprised that she didn't do much in these WCL games IN FREAKIN' MARCH. (oops, looks like I forgot to close the 'grump' tag)

Well, as long as I'm still grumpy, I'll keep going. I suspect that some who are Landström partisans – no one here, I hasten to add, I'm not casting any particular accusations – are occasionally inclined – possibly through the influence of some of her non-directly-football-related qualities – to view her on-field performance through glasses with more than a tinge of a reddish tint. Not that there's anything wrong with that. We all have our favorites, for sometimes obscure and complicated reasons. But seriously, 'the most dangerous player on the pitch'? Sorry, I'll stop now. [/grump]

12. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looks like this will be the third time a German club (after Turbine and Frankfurt) tries to defeat Lyon in the CL final.

Olympique Lyon - FCF Juvisy 3:0
    Arsenal London - VfL Wolfsburg 0:2

13. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Third club forth time, and they did manage to do it the first time.

blissett repped this.
  14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Very good game from Wolfsburg yesterday well organised defensively and clinical. The Arsenal girls will need to raise their level next week, especially in attack.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    but only in EXTRA PK's! god that was a heartbreak.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it would be better for the game if arsenal went through because i understand it's the only way the bridge will even be a quarter full.

but for the same reason a wolfsburg victory may be better for lyon.

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They have opened 3 out of 4 stands in the lower tier now rather than the original one. So there should be some fans.

18. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    UEFA's report of the Arsenal v Wolfsberg match, including video of interviews with Conny 42-goals-now-scored Pohlers ("a goal is an important moment in a match", sigh) and Martina Müller ("it's not bad to score a goal against Arsenal") through a translator, then Gilly Flaherty and Gemma Davison, without a translator, in English. I think. Well, I'm fairly confident about Davison at least. Flaherty... mmm... well...

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Although the all French semi-final is settled more or less with the 3-0 Lyon what happened on the pitch last Saturday might have some repercussion. Juvisy have put an official complaint to UEFA about the OL coach Patrice Lair's behaviour.
    Although all the problems for the Lyon/Juvisy/NT were exposed during the game with players who certainly dislike each other getting stuck in. Catala of Juvisy got "injured" early in the game before being subbed. Those two club have a history of problemes relating back to around 10 years ago. Supporters hate each other, coach are not better, it is the historic fight between the "professional" football and the "amateur" football. Add the fact that 2 OL players are no longer selected in the NT and most OL fans blame (wrongly) the Juvisy devil duo for it.

It will make a very interesting game on Sunday. Referee will be busy. OL players have more to loose as theey cannot risk being suspended for the final.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    all fairly true but just to tighten up some nuts and bolts:

the complaint is picayune. like i said, it reminds me of an incident when our men won the cup last year. a few players on the balcony at city hall sang an anti-stéphanois song (emmenez-moi à geoffroy-guichard...) and it was treated like an affaire d'ètat for weeks and weeks. a song that is sung at the 42nd minute of EVERY match. and if the real steffs admire one thing about the bad gones it's probably that song! and the players who sung it were out of the academy and have been playing derbies against the greens we love to hate since they were 10. their mothers probably sang them emmenez-moi au pays des bâtards as a lullaby! big. hairy. deal.

as for the supporters hating each other, i have never made a road trip to see OL ladies but i am given to understand that until recently both sides bent over backwards to receive each other hospitably. things have gone sour only in the past year or so, fueled by the problems in the NT, and if one incident can be considered the assassination of franz-ferdinand it's when a normally good-natured supporter (rem i think but maybe another) went to congratulate GT about a recent match and got a right bawling out for something said on olweb by someone completely different. at the match this saturday the core supporter group who drives the chants tried to get juvisy involved in some cross-chanting (juvisy! avec nous!) and no dice. they even refused to do the wave (i do too, but that's just because i hate the wave, not because i hate juvisy.)

I know, and that rara avis the reasonable OL féminin supporter does too, that tatane and soub are not behind didine and soso spending NT breaks in front of the TV, but their chouchoute status is part and parcel of the same unsavory soup so it's easy to make false linkage.

for the return leg i hope the referee is busy. i'm afraid that since the carrots are already cooked UEFA will send someone even worse than that greek woman. but suspensions will be no problem. none of the ladies susceptible of missing the final will see the pitch at all. PL may be crazy but he's not stupid.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bompastor Thomis and Otaki are under threat having been booked in previous round.

I think there is a minority of fans on both side who really hate the other team and for false irrational reasons which is crazy. Urban legends have been branded as truth and it is not very nice.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    uh-oh! looks like peucherette is getting ready to escalate!

[​IMG]

Micol repped this.
  23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Patrice Lair suspended for 1 game ie tomorrow after his nice gesture against the Juvisy team. Not gonna make much difference OL will qualify for the final in London. And if you wanna have a good laugh and speak French go to official OL forum the paranoia level is at its best. Some fans are saying that Juvisy are hiring volunteers that will sabotage the game's environment ! The level of hatred there is crazy and Juvisy fan's reciprocate sadly.

24. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well, I see that, Upstairs, a Serious Thread has started about this tournament. Good, good; it's a Very Serious Tournament.

And that leaves this thread free for someone to say something like ”Oh yeah, baby – this Thursday our Little Wolfie is gonna go and get some!” ... without having to justify that statement in any way. (Or even explain what the heck it means.)

blissett repped this.
  25. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Click here for Conny Pohlers’ assessment of her own team! She sorta dismisses Popp as ”a poacher” who ”muddles her way through”; Müller comes off better, partly for being a fellow oldie who’s ”always looking to score”; she characterizes that Pohlers chick as having played for a hundred years but ”quite nice”; she seems to consider a calling someone a ”small but feisty goalkeeper” to be a compliment. Good news for the small and feisty everywhere!

Got anything even half so entertaining as that, OL partisans? (I know you’re out there, don’t be shy...)