The annual Franco-Allemande/Deutsch-Französische Club Contest (AKA UEFA WCL 2012/2013)

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Jenson, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Damn. Granny scored. That wasn't part of the plan. And it was a cunning plan.

She's never going to retire now.

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]
    worse is better

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I've been swamped with work and life and so forth and not keeping up. Except I did look at the boxscores from the two Potsdam-Arsenal games and wondered what had happened to Anonma. I'll take this comment to mean that she's one of the (apparently) many injured?

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Nope, Potsdam released her for the African Championship.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooh. That. See. Totally living under a rock because I didn't even realize that was going on. Thank you.

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By the way: at least she won it, on home soil, and was even top-scorer of the tournament.

7. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Something about UEFA draws triggers the chant "You're going home in a ********ing ambulance" in my head. I have no idea why.

8. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Because that's the way it goes around here, pretty much regardless of the draw? Sigh.

Well, at least the LdB players will have soft smooth skin to comfort themselves with, as the ambulance wails through the night, carrying their sorry butts home. Oh no, but wait – when playing merely as 'FC Malmö', are they allowed to slather themselves with Forbidden Sponsor product? Would the mere fruity aroma of LdB duschkräm wafting over Malmö IP be enough to send the brand lawyers scurrying for their mobile phones?

I see UEFA at least thinks they've dropped the 'W' from last year's 'WFC Malmö'. On the other hand women.soccerway.com prefers to list the team as 'Lait de Beaute FC Malmö'. Teehee! A three-language mashup! Hey, maybe the OL players can teach them how to pronounce their own team's name.

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    about the toughest draw possibly for lyon. they avoid wolfsburg until the final but have to meet both swedish teams first.

10. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I dunno... I mean, at this level all the teams are good, sure, but if the last five years are anything to go on, Swedish teams in March are, you know... not quite exactly, as they say.

Oh, or, unless you meant that it will be tough for OL to meet two consecutive patsies (assuming The Cider Girls get past Juvisy, which is not at all clear to me), and then suddenly be confronted with Wolfsburg.

Here's a link to the UEFA article and schedule, for the terminally lazy. I see they've put the W back in FC Malmö.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i don't follow the game outside of france to be an authority, but after wolfsburg i think the two swedish clubs can be no worse than semi-patsies, and the other possibilities all preferable to them.

jocasta repped this.
  12. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    I think my model may still hold:
    lvl1: OL
    lvl2: any German team in WCL
    lvl3: Arsenal and any Swedish team in WCL
    lvl4: the best of the rest
    A team can beat a team on lvl above them with just a bit of luck but to topple a team tow lvl above they need a small miracle and thre lvls is impossible.
    So I would say one team would be worse than the swedes, one team about the same and three teams easier, so a pretty average draw for OL.

jocasta repped this.
  13. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I'm no authority on anything except my own misery. Even so, I think I know enough of psychology to suggest to WFC HandCream and HardDrinkinCiderGirls FC that they NOT go into their matches under a banner reading "No worse than semi-patsies!" And in March they'll be pretty pasty patsies as well.
    JanBalk, I think your scheme looks good – with the caveat that the ranking is only among these 8 teams, this year (just add the extra qualifier 'in the 2012/2013 campaign'). I wonder if your ranking is based on the teams we saw last, in the round of 16, or if it's meant to be a projection to the teams we expect to see in March.

And speaking of that, I would also add my own personal bugbear caveat that, while Malmö and Göteborg may be no better that 3s in March, either of them could, by the end of May, be up to level 2, just by virtue of a few months of vigorous exercise and clean living (barring unforeseen randomness – injuries, sudden and unexplained coach resignations, players arrested for confronting smokers...).

14. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Well, it is actually mainly based on the last couple of years of WCL. I tend to be a bit conservative in my predictions (IOW base them more on history more than current squad) :)

15. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    lol I linked it to the wrong story, ooops

17. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    No worries. I just assumed that an Arsenal fan didn't want to link to any news associated with Chelsea! :p

Anyway, those ticket prices are beyond reasonable. Should be a sold out final.

18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In England...:unsure:. They couldn't even fill Craven Cottage the last time London had the CL finals, but I guess there's no harm in hope.

19. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Tickets are only being sold on for the Westside of the stadium. They should be able sell all those tickets but... :unsure: I may even buy one myself.

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I emailed them and moaned because i wanted to sit somewhere else. They will open the other stand if the west lower sells out.

21. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I've never been to "The Bridge". Does the other stand have the better view?

22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The tactical view in East upper and West upper is very good, behind the goal is ok in upper tier.
    Lower tier are not good as too close to the pitch and the first two rows are below pitch level actually !

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    of course it's only 40,000 seats, but as hodgepodge as gerland looks there's not a bad seat in the house. several times i've looked at my ticket and thought, "god this is a horrible spot"... and always been pleasantly surprised by the viewing. and i can guarantee they would sell out for a match like this. so before it's semi-dismantled to be a second division rugby park, they should schedule a CL final here. after all, is there really any benefit to having the XY and XX finals in the same burg?

24. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    There are some people:whistling: , who will purchase tickets for both the men's and women's competition, so I think holding the finals in the same city makes loads of sense, at least in terms of convenience.