The American's on Fx

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Alberto, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Apparently Margo Martindale might not be back for season 2.
    She was not signed on to a multi-year contract and is shooting a comedy pilot.
    Depending on whether or not that show gets picked up, she will either feature in a more limited role for season two, or not at all.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So, hang on... are you saying that Clark and Philip are really the SAME person? :confused: No, that doesn't sound right. They're completely different :eek: :D

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm not sure if the writers intended it as such, but her saying it in russian was important. it shows her being more human and less of a machine. nice touch to show such character progression with only two words.

yeah, that sucks. hopefully, they'll do a full second season.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    13 episodes is a full season.

5. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that how many episodes aired of the Americans? It seemed like only ten.

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thirteen episodes when you think about it is nothing. It was not uncommon as a kid to have a minimum of 30 episodes in a season for all shows.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    10-15 has become more or less the norm for quality cable shows.
    GoT: 10
    Mad Men: 13
    Boardwalk Empire: 12

8. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    In a lot of cases, Season 1 seems to be shorter than preceding ones. Might be a financial risk thing. Networks are probably willing to spend more on shows that they know are going to be successful.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good first season. I think that when Phillip moved out, the show lost some focus and steam. Well written. I am glad I watched. I was not disappointed.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that went fast--I missed the first episode and didnt' want to jump in half-way. Plus, it's been a busy semester and didn't really want to commit to a new show--barely time to keep up with shows I already watch.

Hoping for a complete rerun of the series in the off-season so I can see what I missed. From what you guys are saying, looks like it would be worth my time to do so.

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely well worth watching. The dynamic established in episode one between Phillip and Elizabeth along with their back stories made this show excellent tv viewing.

Here is a link to an interview noted television critic Alan Seppinwall did with the shows creators. You will note Alan describes the Americans as superb. I agree. You may want to possibly avoid reading the article given that there is a lot of discussion regarding what took place in the series.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...on-marriage-spycraft-and-the-wigs-of-season-1

Not as good as Homeland season I, but if that was a 10, this is a 9.

Also, check your local service provider. All episodes should still be available on demand.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I actually think it's far superior to Homeland.
    I also believe they have set themselves up for a second season that will be just as good, whereas Homeland obviously had no idea where to go after the aborted bunker attack.