The American's on Fx

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Alberto, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was plenty of reason for the handler to head out, he led them away from the real asset, plus they confirmed that the FBI knew the meet was going to occur. Now they have 100% certainty that there's a mole in their embassy.

He was checking his watch because he knew that his asset and him were supposed to meet at a certain time, but unfortunately for the asset it meant his doom. He was being a bit sentimental. Thinking to himself, it should be done now, my asset is gone.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of filming has been done on Long Island and in Yonkers.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    But his reaction to the head of Directorate S suggested to me that he was completely out of the loop.

4. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, alternatively, he was in the loop, and that scene in which he's upset is simply the first chance he had had to complain to the head of Directorate S about it.

Belgian guy repped this.
  5. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a delicious episode. Lots of surprises in the most delightful and entertaining ways.

Elizabeth being the robotic and dutiful operative and throwing Phillip under the bus.

Vasily sent back to stand trial for espionage. The true operative free and clear.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well Elizabeth threw Philip under the bus long before they were brought in for interrogation.

Stan's decision to pin the blame on Vasily is an odd one. He deprived Nina of her high-ranking and easy source of information. This whilst he could have just as easily made any other agent take the fall. Of course, this could be explained away by his discomfort at forcing her into a sexual relationship with Vasily. But in terms of pure operational value, Vasily had much more worth if kept on the board.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, but at some point he'll be questioned and it will be obvious, (to him if nobody else), that someone else was involved so I suspect he'll offer her up as she's the most likely.

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if in the coming episodes we will find that the sole reason Stan did it was because he has developed feelings for Nina.

Elizabeth sure threw Phillip under the bus some time ago. That had to hurt him. Really must say that I enjoy Matthew Rhys acting in this series.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, he's good. Well, they're both good, tbh.

He speaks Welsh as a first language y'know. An interesting language, Welsh...

It's one of those languages where, after a skinfull of booze you think that if you turn it up loud and listen REALLY hard, you'll be able to figure out what they're saying :D

A beautiful language actually... the little women spoke welsh when she was a tot :)

10. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe the best episode so far. i loved elizabeth's reaction to being tortured by her own countrymen. i didn't expect that ... and man was she brutal. then the way phillip calmly put his seatbelt on and went off the road into the tree. good stuff.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I loved how some of it tied back nicely to things said/done earlier in this season.
    Like when Elizabeth said that Henry would be able to cope more easily with the loss of his parents than Paige because he was wired more like Philip. Up until this episode, there had been nothing in the kid's behavior that showed the audience what she means. Then we see little Henry take out creepy duck-feeding dude with the beer bottle. :D

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only thing I found a little unbelievable was the creepy guy picking them up. I'm not suggesting young kids should make a habit of getting into strange men's cars but the chances of that happening are probably pretty small.

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wouldn't be surprised to see him identified later on as a kgb guy as well.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er... well... that's possible I suppose :confused:

;)

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That would be a bit far-fetched imho. I think the entire sequence with creepy duck-feeding guy was already pushing it without adding another layer to it.

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you don't think it's reasonable that the kgb, knowing they'd have philip and elizabeth in custody for awhile, would dispatch someone to "keep an eye" on their kids?

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Why then would he act like a total creep?

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying I buy that he was KGB, but how would you expect him to act.

"Da kids, I'm friend of your parents. I stay with you until they come home. No questions, da."

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Actually drive them home and then either stay in the neighborhood or have another agent take over from there? Certainly not act like an über-creep.

20. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know. yeah, it'd probably make more sense to take them home and make sure they're safe, but maybe the kgb is doing some advanced scouting on them... to see if they have some of the characteristics of a good spy for use later on. maybe they told the guy to act like a creep to see how the kids would react. henry passed.:)

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe it was just trying to show how the kids would react, and how one parent things one of the kids would do better on their own than the other.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So I caught a bit of "The Truman Show" on TV last night.
    I had totally forgotten that the actor who plays Stan on the Americans was also Truman's fake best friend in the Truman Show. :D

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was also the fella at that CDC in the walking dead...

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That I remembered!

25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was another delicious episode of the American's. I am reminded of the remark Nina made to Stan about the world being gray and not "white and black". A very nuanced episode. Phillips former lover. Hmm maybe she doesnt have their love child. A ploy to get Phillip to go and run away together.