The American's on Fx

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Alberto, Jan 30, 2013.

1. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright, i heard the reviews had been consistently good, so i caught up online over the past couple days. good show, glad i did.

my guess is that they're setting up the fbi guy to compromise his own position and get it on at some point with this chick. that chick, by the way, is insanely attractive ... at least i think so.

as far as a prediction about a possible plot for a future season, i imagine paige will come across something and start to get a clue about her parents. they're already setting up paige and elizabeth's differing worldviews. at the least, i bet elizabeth will have some sort of run-in with that pesky teacher that keeps filling paige's head with all that darn anti-soviet stuff.

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another fine episode.

You have to wonder about the shelf life for the mole and the older embassy director. Both are toast if discovered.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think the mole was toast the moment she was recruited. Total spy genre trope. The pretty sacrificial lamb.

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya she's not going to last long. Does the CIA agent feel bad for putting her into this position. It seems he's starting to see things differently now that he's having his wife ask for more

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That guy deserves EVERYTHING he gets. An old fart like that, (and I speak as one don't forget;)), has a pretty young girl come on to him and he DOESN'T think it's a bit fishy??? WTF? I mean, the guy's a spy, isn't he? Didn't it even occur to him?

Still, you can see why we won the cold war now, can't yer. The other lot were even more incompetent and clueless than ours :D

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I guess the general point is that it's always safe to bet on a man acting like an idiot around an attractive woman. ;)

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    One thing I am not 100% certain of: was it Moscow that ordered the asset to be eliminated?

8. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I think so. Better to kill him now than the FBI to flip him and rat you out.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So the time line is that the handler went to meet his agent, and whilst this was going on, the other guy contacted Moscow and they gave the order for the hit? Seems like a very narrow time frame for Elizabeth to locate the guy and take him out. Unless they had her on standby already?

10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I think it was day before when they had discussion about FBI changing channels. I think other guy both contacted Moscow and provided other guy new location for meeting. Elizabeth didn't have to locate shit as she just went to new location for meeting.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that was my reading of it as well. If the guy had been captured it would have been a disaster for them. As it is it's bad enough because they said he was their way into the US star wars malarkey.

12. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Guys always think with their dicks.

Speaking of kink. Ass smacking followed by the belt. Followed by the belt, buckle end.

13. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --The way I saw it, the older guy led the FBI agents on a wild goose chase so Elizabeth could kill the asset at the original meeting location.

14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that is how I saw it too.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    No, the old guy himself was surprised and angered that the head of Directorate S went around his back to get his orders from Moscow, so he did not know that his agent was going to be eliminated as he went out to meet him.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, he was pretty pissed off about it too. Obviously liked the guy.

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FX has a marathon of the first five episodes. Started at 10:00 pm

18. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --I saw that he was pissed but I also thought he realized he didn't have a choice and went along with the plan to misdirect the FBI. I'm going to watch it again because I'm all confused now.

19. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --I just watched it again and I think I'm right. After being told that they could be leading the FBI to their source, the old guy seems to briefly pause before admitting they have no other choice. Then, after leading the agents to the waterfront, the old guy seems to be regretful while staring off into the distance before heading back.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    If the plan was to take the asset out - with his handler's knowledge - there was no need for the handler to head out.
    The fact that the handler went out to meet him proves he was kept out of the loop.

21. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Where do they film this? Certainly not DC or Falls Church.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Based on online sources, a lot of this first season was shot in and around NYC.

23. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is surprising. Not cheap to film in NYC. DC would have made perfect sense.

24. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was away from good Internet for a couple weeks so I only just now caught up on the last three episodes.

I'm so, SO pleased at how good this show has remained. In the fall I got into Last Resort but I was slapped upside the head by that show's plunge into terrible. The Americans is, if anything, getting even better. And I'll echo those above who cheered the inclusion of Margo Martindale. She's one of those actors I like to call an "improver"-- their presence just makes anything they are in that much better. (Stanley Tucci is for me the most noteworthy male improver).

I like how, for the most part, this show refrains from spelling things out in dialogue if a look or a suggestion is enough. It doesn't underestimate the intelligence of the viewer.

Alberto repped this.
  25. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Very difficult/expensive to film in DC, apparently. Although it's not like they would have had to had shot a lot on the Mall. Would have been more Georgetown, Embassy Row, DuPont, etc..