The American's on Fx

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Alberto, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I do agree a bit with Naughtius about the baby getting back to Russia.
    After killing the mother, why would they bother with smuggling the baby back to Russia?

2. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably an honor thing. The baby is of Russian descent and a descentant of one of their soldiers/spies so returning it to the family is probably a thing of honor and respect for their country and their culture.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suppose they were trying to keep the spies happy. I think they suspect they're both a bit flakey and not without some justification.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, yeah but there are probably significant risks in doing it. It's not like you can send a baby via DHL is it :D

5. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. You're talking about an organization that has spies living as regular people all over the country. Getting a baby out of the country is probably a piece of cake. A boat would probably make it fairly easy or if they can get fake docs for adults, babies would be really easy.

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, no. They said that to the widow to appease her. It was not aimed at the husband and wife KGB agents.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's the point of appeasing her if they're going to kill her anyway? Also, why didn't she just shoot the mother there and then or tell the KGB couple to kill her?

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had to transport her out of an area crawling with FBI. Much easier to get her to cooperate and keep the baby quiet than kill her and have to deal with an upset infant without mom. Once they left the hot zone they could deal with the mom under more controlled conditions.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another good episode last night.

10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Indeed.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Very good episode.
    If I want to nitpick, then Stan just casually telling his neighbors what must still be very sensitive information at that point did seem a bit odd.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wondered how they would handle that but the way it was presented it seemed OK to me. Mind you, it also came across as him just reassuring a friend who was worried so maybe what he was saying wasn't telling the truth.

IIRC, (and bear in mind we're going back a few years ;)), it was said pretty much right away that Reagan was going to be OK. Hague was just making 'clucking noises', (as the little woman calls them), to reassure people they weren't defenceless.

The thing that worries me slightly is, where are they going with the FBI fella and his wife having 'marital problems'?? ... and this should interest me, why, precisely???

14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wife swapping or infidelity? Maybe a key party followed by Blackmail. ;)

15. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this show any good? They are filming on my block and taking all the street parking.

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It actually is quite good. Set in the cold war era at the time of Reagan. Star Wars technology, the fall of the Berlin Wall. The novelty of the show is that the two Soviet agents are in super deep cover posing as a husband and wife. They have teenage kids who have no idea their parents are spies. Also, the husband is more open to accepting and understanding the US and far more of an independent thinker and less indoctrinated than his wife. He gets America. His wife does not.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think it's a follow up to that moment in the pilot where he froze when someone mentioned his time undercover with the white supremacist group. I think Stan will be revealed to be increasingly mentally instable.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I believe Philip and Elizabeth both came to America as pure ideologues.
    They have just taken very different paths since then. Where Philip's experiences living in the US seem to have frayed his belief in the cause, Elizabeth has only gotten more determined. I don't think the point is that Elizabeth does not get America, she just perceives it through the prism of what was told to her about the place prior to her mission. Philip seems to perceive his new "home" from a more neutral position.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully... as long as it doesn't start to go towards Elizabeth having to try and get secrets out of him using her 'feminine wiles', (showing my age with that phrase :D), and creating marital difficulties between her and Phillip. That's got Peyton Place written ALL over it, IOW a quite OBVIOUS 'plot device' :(

It's been pretty good so far so hopefully they'll resist the temptation.

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elizabeth after the fall of the Soviet Union goes on to a quiet life in America, but her peace is shattered when she experience visits from extra terrestrials. ;)

21. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I think there have been some moments since the pilot where there have been signs of that such as his paranoia after someone told hi the KGB spies act just like normal American families and he proceeds to break into their house to check their car. There were some other moments too but cant think of them right off the top of my head.

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep, that's my bet as well ;) :D

23. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    lmao

I just came back from seeing that movie, there were a few creepy moments..enough that it makes me a bit paranoid right now.

Loving this series so far, my favourite part might be how the FBI officer got the Soviet female secretary to be his mole..a very realistic take on how it could happen and how such a stupid and innocently inconsequential activity could net someone in a uncompromising situation.

Alberto repped this.
  24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it was the Ukraine.

As soon as Donetsk flashed up on the screen I immediately blurted out Shakhtar Donetsk. My wife asked me what I was saying, I told her it was the name of a football team, Juve played them in the Champions League this season. She just rolled her eyes at me.

GiuseppeSignori and Alberto repped this.
  25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, some of my Ukrainian friends will not be pleased that I missed that.