The American Drogba? U.S. eligible Maki Tall in France

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Sep 26, 2012.

1. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've been lead to believe both Robben and Ribery aren't that well liked among their teammates.

2. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    yeah but there is a difference between being an immigrant and being recruited from another country to come play for the US... right now the US recruits more than any other national team in the world... they are always looking for players with dual citizenship to bring to the US instead of concentrating on their homegrown talent

[]__[]

3. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't get to decide who is or isn't a US citizen. You were asked to stop with this--please stop.

4. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm talking about soccer, not society or politics. The USSF isn't going to select a team based on race/ethnicity, whereas in France, there was controversy with top FFF officials agreeing to 'quotas' intended to limit the involvement of black and North African players in French teams. Tall won't have to deal with any of that in the U.S. set-up.

5. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    stop with what? im just pointing out a fact nothing more, the US has more players with double citizenship than any other country in the world.. a lot of those players get citizenship because of their football talents nothing more.... if the US wants to become a world power in football they need to concentrate on home grown talent and not in having scouts in germany looking for players

[]__[]

6. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first part may or may not be true and can be tough to quantify as there are a few ways to look at; ie people who qualify for US citizenship while being citizens of other nations and people who hold currently hold US citizenship as well as that of another nation. If true I am sure it is just a coincidence it gives us an advantage in international soccer as these laws, and those of other countries, were not made with World Cup glory in mind.

As for the second part I press you to name all of these US internationals that were granted citizenship for footballing reasons and nothing else. Having an American parent, being born in the US to foreign parents and growing up abroad, or being married to an American and obtaining citizenship through them then opting to play for the US is completely different than a country like Qatar giving citizenship to some Brazilian straight off the boat,who didn't even know what Qatar was, just to win a few games. Our dual nationals currently in the squad already qualified as citizens before choosing to represent the US; they weren't granted citizenship to play soccer.

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    How has this guy not gotten a yellow for being an incessant troll.

8. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only David Régis was fast-tracked, as far as I know (and he married an American, FFS). So obviously the post is garbage.

However, I would like to announce that I'm a dual-citizen with only one American parent. And I grew up abroad in a soccer-mad country. Jurgen can cap the shit out of me if he wants. I'm literally sitting by the phone.

(How long before JK figures out I'm a tennis player and can't play soccer to save my life?)

9. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither of my parents were American citizens until they came here. Owen Hargreaves, Podolski and Klose, Eduardo and Josip Šimunić, Ozil, Khediera. Qatar. The list goes on.

This happens almost all the time in International Football.

I believe that Hargreaves was born in Canada, raised in Canada, played in Germany and had one parent who was remotely English.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    And Regis took advantage of an already existing loophole, so it's not like an exception was made for him because he was a player wanted by our national team.

11. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not here to troll or to start a fight, but i think the US has the means and the ability to become a giant in soccer on their own merits. They almost made the semifianls in 2002 and if it wasnt for a disallowed goal that shouldve counted who knows how far that team goes.

So my question is why the infatuation with players abroad. Fans are always scouting and looking for overseas players over home grown talent. A lot of those overseas players the fans call for are not even in the first division or if they are they not getting regular playing time. But just because they are in europe fans want them.

In my opinion homegrown talent will give it their all and have their heart in it more than hired guns who will only see it as a business decision to advance their careers and get more exposure.

[]__[]

12. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude everyone knows what point you're trying to make, they just don't care.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hired guns? We're dual citizens, not mercenaries. The USMNT has the obligation to get the best Americans there are. End of discussion. It maybe that a foreign accent makes some fans go weak in the knees but you are suggesting something I don't like or care for. The greatness of America is that for most of us dual citizens we're better accepted here than in our other country (see J. Jones).

14. OnTheRoadAgain

OnTheRoadAgain Red Card

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    KKS Lech Poznan
    Not qualifying for youth tournaments?

15. OnTheRoadAgain

OnTheRoadAgain Red Card

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    KKS Lech Poznan
    Is there something wrong if a Frenchman wants to cheer for a player he can identify with when it comes to representing his own country?

How many Americans can identify with the latest U-23 team that represented the U.S.?

[​IMG]

16. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many Americans can 'identify' with it?

What kind of racist question is that?

17. Ngolo

Ngolo Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i agree with fingersave. who is to say someoneis a better american than another? an american is an american period. it doesn't matter where he was trained or where he plays. so lets just focus on skills qnd potential. all the rest is nonsense.

18. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 Americans playing for their country - I can completely identify with that team. My only complaint is that I'm not fit enough to be able to join them.

19. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're not getting my point I really do not care or have a problem with their accent nor the color of their skin. My problem is that they are only recruited because of their soccer skills. They play for the US not because they love the US but because they cant make their respective national teams.

To give you an example so you can understand, Carmelo Anthony couldve played for Puerto Rico's national team in basketball because of his grandparents. Our basketball federation spend a lot of money and time trying to convince him to play for us. It was criticized by many and others were warm to the idea. Me personally I rather we used our own homegrown talent, why use players that were raised somewhere else and really dont feel anything for the national shirt. If a player of puertorrican descent wants to play for PR I dont have a problem but when we have to try to convince spend money and time for it then is not worth it. Wearing the national shirt should be a privilege.

The US soccer federation is doing the same thing the PR basketball federation is doing in basketball but with soccer. Going all over the world looking for prospects to better the team. That really demises the whole purpose of sports and international competitions.

[]__[]

20. frederic birindelli

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    1-drogba was never top scorer of the french league
    2-drogba never played in 2nd division in france, guingamp were in 1st division
    3-while mourinho's FC porto was winning the champions league final, drogba was losing in the final of what is known today as "europa league", aka the second division of european club football

21. frederic birindelli

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    that's exactly what laurent blanc tried to do when he asked scouts to stop picking black players only because blacks have an advantage in the youth squads because they mature earlier
    it's exactly what he said
    i have quotes from other important people in french soccer, scouts, coaches, who said the same before the quotas affair

22. frederic birindelli

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    laurent guyot, in charge of the youth development in nantes, the best in france, so much better than le mans that it's not even funny:

"i am sorry about this but the evolution is obvious: we now take athletes and try to turn them into soccer players"
    "in the youth squads, in each age category, there are very few players who were born in the last trimester of the year
    it means that if you grow up a few months later than the others you are eliminated and have fewer chances to turn pro
    we see this happening more and more"

and fabrice briand, who also works for fc nantes:
    "and since blacks reach puberty earlier than whites, they currently make up for 80% of the youth categories in france" (80% of all the clubs' youth categories in france, not only the french national team)

23. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    How scientific...

This thread is cancer, which is a shame because Maki could very well be reading stuff like this in disgust.

24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Hey Maki if your reading this, as Danny Williams (half black/white) once said ............in Germany they ask where he is from (even though hes part german) and when he is in America they never ask where he is from and assume hes already an American. Forget the European BS, and remember American sports media is hoping for the tiger woods of American soccer to come soon.

25. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Most of the posters spreading that racist BS are non-Americans. It always reminds me of The Spanish people throwing bananas at the black players in Spain, They Beautiful Spain? No way! can't be!