The Amazing Race

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ringo, Feb 19, 2012.

1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I think they tried 3 different cabs.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Those girls might be a tad unlucky but not more than any other team that gets eliminated. After all they were lucky not to be U-turned. They're just idiots. They should burn their passports when they get home because traveling abroad isn't for them.

Things like Boardwalk Empire are On Demand.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know they are, but I have much more interest in those shows than The Amazing Race.

It's gotten old for me and repetitive and the teams have not been remotely endearing.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TAR is getting boring for me. I like the different locals, learning about customs, etc. but the teams just aren't cutting it for me anymore. I'm sick of the recently divorced and dating couple you have in every race now, the lovable friends, twins, etc.

I remember the good old days when teams actually had to race and earn their way through the race, where a first place meant you moved on to the next round and not win a trip for two to Fiji. Where a non-elimination leg meant you had to start out with nothing, no backpack and no money.

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Definitely lacking something this season, I used to look forward to the show, now I'll dvr it and watch when there's nothing else.
    I can't even pick a fav, someone I want to win. But I can pick a lot of teams that I couldn't care less about.
    Take the monster truck guy...please! :) He is a competent guy who knows how to work things out and use his hands. But he goes out of his way to make himself look the idiot and he's not a pleasant guy to be around or watch.
    "You cost me a million dollars!" Good, I'd say!

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me it's two things.

Number one there are too many teams. That means less time getting to know people. I feel the past two years we haven't learn very much about the teams and that the editing has become frenetic in it's pace. So the flow of the race is choppy and attuned to viewers with extremely limited attention spans. The show mistakes having a fast pace with it being tense.

Secondly, the mix of teams has not been as interesting. I don't see teams I truly like or dislike. I don't feel a connection to the teams as in past years.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    No comments this week huh?

Guess we'll all be happy when they get out of Bangladesh, at least I will be.

And on to Turkey....!

8. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    It honestly feels like they've been in Bangladesh this entire season. A lot of 3rd world countries must say, "hey, at least we ain't Bangladesh."

Ready to move on. Give me some French Alps or Brazilian Rain Forest.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, this show has really jumped the shark. Disappointed they did not disqualify the two sisters for stealing the money. This is not survivor where people are scumbags to each other to justify their game play. There has always been more civility in this program along for consequences for not completing tasks.

10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It wasn't even mentioned was it. That was a low moment from the show. The made sure that they got plenty of video of the theft as well.
    I just thought that they were loud and fun but that was just mean. It really pissed my wife off.

11. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Thieves. I can't believe they didn't even mention it.

12. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Then when the rockers caught up, one of the sisters made a comment about the "stupid rockers" being there. Classy.

13. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    In case you want to know, the Philippines got its latest franchise of the show, The Amazing Race Philippines, now currently broadcast on TV5. One of the pairs competing in the local edition are brothers Anton and Armand del Rosario, who are soccer players who were born in San Francisco, California, and are playing for Kaya Futbol Club, competing in the United Football League, the country's local semi-pro league. They have played for the Philippine national team since the early emerging days of the sport in the country. They are the first pair to be introduced in this video. (Video voice-over in Filipino language):

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't mind 3rd world countries but ones that have at least some redeeming qualities would be preferred. How about Botswana or Congo Republic? Way more unique and interesting. Another season where almost half the legs took place in Asia. *sigh*

Also the challenges are way too physical. No wonder all the all-female teams were out early this season (Except the Sri Lankan pair, but they are pretty strong). Wouldn't hurt to mix things up a bit with a few challenges that exercise the brain, no?

PS... I just looked it up, and they've only visited 3 countries on the African continent in the last 9 seasons of Amazing Race. WTF? A continent with over 60 countries that is two-thirds the size of Asia gets about one-tenth the amount of legs.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And of course, right after I mention this they have a great "brain" challenge. Not too many teams opted for it, however. Not even the guy who can barely swim. o_O

I don't see the logic behind the last 2 teams agreeing to work together. How does that make for a good strategy? Seems like they just gave up for some reason. They don't seem to grasp the purpose of each leg of the race which is to not finish last.

16. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I took it as both teams bonded over their misfortune of missing the flight and at that point felt it more honorable to stick with each other until the final run to the pit-stop. Both teams have seemed genuine and nice up to this point so it didn't surprise me that they decided to stick together. Agreed though, doesn't make much sense if you are intent on winning a million dollars, or two.

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    OK, got to tip my hat to this episode's winners. I gave them Zero chance in the chalenges. The library and the locks. But they made me eat crow. they made it look easy. Well deserved winners.

I don't think it was the crow that got me that night though. I'd lay money on that Green Thai Curry!!!

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Turns-out that this was their undoing. Not a big surprise. If you're going to hold hands with another team through two legs of the Amazing Race, don't choose the weakest team ever to make it to the final 5.

Anyway, they won't be missed.

19. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Those two guys aren't even racing anymore, they're just touring through Europe.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nice tour though - AMS, BCN and Mallorca.

Great decision to have the guy with the bad ankle do the tennis challenge. :rolleyes:

21. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goat herders winning it all has got to be the biggest competition shocker since Greece winning the Euros in 2004.

I've only been half paying attention to the season, but it seems like every time I've watched it was between them and someone else for finishing a competition leg in last place.

22. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    The Sri-Lankan POS's didn't win it and that's all that matters.

BocaFan repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    ^ I agree. Those girls were nasty!

Great challenges on the final leg.

24. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Worst team to win so far in the history of TAR, surely?

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    As I said a few weeks ago, not only the worst team ever to win but probably the worst ever to reach the final 4.

If nothing else, it shows that alliances don't work in TAR. Every time an alliance is formed, a team that's part of it finishes dead last. First with Abbie & Ryan, then the Sri Lankan twins twice in-a-row, then Trey & Lexi on the final leg.