The Almighty Sergio Ramos Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    This line of reasoning about Sergio Ramos always doing something stupid in big matches and always getting himself sent off is pretty effing comical to me. I saw him make very good decisions when the lines were tight, I saw him cover on the left time and time again. I then saw how he was exposed when the players in front of him basically let Barcelona pass the ball, settle it, look around, text each other ("Ney, it's me Leo. Make a run, I'm going to play a through ball.") leaving him to scramble. But hey, Sergio Ramos did stupid things to cost us the clasico.

2. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sell him?

Alma Merengue repped this.
  3. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    play varane, but it's quite unrealistic i guess.. cause he's ramos, vice-captain, and bla bla bla

4. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    If the coach thinks Pepe/Varane of Varane/Sergio Ramos makes sense, I'm not going to lose sleep over it because I think Varane is class. I just can not agree with the line of reasoning against Sergio Ramos for yesterday. I'm sorry, I can't.

We got beat in the midfield - in the spaces in front of our midfield and in the pockets behind our midfield.

Ahmadi8, Akramzizou and Eddie repped this.
  5. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Well you make a point, but's not just this Clasico. Someone pointed out even before the game that he should be the one to watch (not in a good way). It's either him or Pepe.

I was furious when I saw us sitting back and letting them do what they wanted in the middle. It was exactly the opposite from what I expected us to do (press them up high). But still that situation should have been handled better. It is expected from him to react better. I know he did some good moves, but it only takes one bad one to ruin all of that.

6. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    That's fine, but their teammates are setting them up to be exposed and against a team like Barca all it takes is one time.

Eddie and 4x4s repped this.
  7. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    #482 YOUNGSTARS87, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Yeah, none of that was Sergio faults. It's never the fault of the players we like. Yeah!

The first goal (Iniesta)..

- It wasn't like Messi was already behind the midfield line...
    - It wasn't like Messi was right in front of Ramos who back pedaling fast, giving him space....
    - It wasn't like after backpedaling like an All-Pro CB, Messi was given the space to make the pass to Iniesta..

Oh wait.

That first Messi goal was defnitely not Sergio Ramos fault...

- It isn't like he was the one Messi dribbled past, getting space to make the pass to Neymar...
    - It isn't like he was the one who after Messi passed, allowed Messi to out hustle him and take the ball right off his foot.
    - It isn't like he was the one who watched Messi (who hustled past him) slot the ball in the net.

Oh wait.

The first penalty and red card...

- It isn't like Sergio was the one who missed judged the through ball...
    - It isn't like Sergio was the one who clipped Neymar's ankle leading to the red card and us being up shit's creek...

Oh wait.

Yep, that was all not Ramos.

Oh and before someone says "what about the midfield!". Yeah, I have been just as hard on Xabi Alonso who was an utter nightmare out there as well. From the beginning I have been saying he can't keep up physically... where were you then? It just seems ludicrous to attempt to pick where you want to place blame. God forbid you blame the wrong player lol.

8. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Swing and a miss!!

Intentalo de nuevo chaval... te queda mucho - pero mucho - que aprender.

9. demo_g

demo_g Member+

Jan 13, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @ YS: Perhaps you should take some time and write a review about a splendid performance by our 100 mio€ players as well. Both of them were embarrassingly bad last night.

10. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Breh, I have bashed both those guys. It would be one thing if I was being selective, however unlike some posters here I have not. Read the stuff during the match and after. I consistently critized both. Read what I said about my precious Cristiano.

Why didn't anybody get mad about that? Lol. Why didn't anybody insult me for doing that?

Perhaps instead of getting mad I said the truth (oh! and I documented each of his screw ups which absolutely negated that bullshit excuse it was all the midfields fault lol), get on board.

I guess it was the midfields fault Messi took that ball right from him and scored the equalizer before halftime.

11. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    It does not matter how good you can milk the cow if at the end you spill the bucket.

Sergio is liability - he has proven it multiple times. Sadly.

12. demo_g

demo_g Member+

Jan 13, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    For me it was quite clear Barca is going to score that second goal before the half time. Most of our players were just strolling around like they were pleased with a minimum lead and were just waiting for a break. Perhaps it was his fault, but the whole team lost concentration at that point.

Akramzizou repped this.
  13. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    It's never only one players fault. It's always a serious of mistakes. That dude lost the ball, that dude didn't close out in time, that dude was late... But in the end it was still Ramos's mistake that cost us the most. I wouldn't have blamed him if he had let Neymar go in that situation, because I felt we had control and would have scored another. With a man down everything changed.

14. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Wow. Have I ever and I mean ever seen you cave so quickly instead of just calling it what is?

For the first goal...
    Who was the one who was checking Messi?
    Who was the one who Messi beat one-on-one make a run to his left (Messi's right)?
    After Messi passed who was the one who didn't hustle while Messi did?
    Who was the one who Messi took the deflected ball right away from his foot to score?

This all can't be true because it is all the midfield's fault. Di Maria who has to run around like a mad man in defense and create in offense and Modric who has to hold possession, find pass, organize and defend.

I've never said the midfield was beyond blame, in fact I've blasted Xabi Alonso just as much as anyone else. I will not however blame the midfield for an individual error which Sergio Ramos has done.

15. demo_g

demo_g Member+

Jan 13, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The same can be said about Ronaldo and his supporting cast o_O. Obviously CR is a better player, but he did almost nothing in both El Clasicos this season. And when we had a discussion about his on pitch behaviour a couple of days ago, his supporters went in it with a full swing.

This is not good for a club, no matter the name or status of the player.

16. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    @zohee

I'm not excusing him at all. But that play starts with two players watching Messi - just watching him. Neymar makes his run off of Marcelo's back. At that point Sergio Ramos is screwed. Should he just stand there? He has to try to slow Neymar down or let him know he's there. The contact is minimal - it definitely happened, even though Neymar sold it well with the extra spin - but I don't understand how Sergio Ramos is the scapegoat when the Barcelona midfield strolled.... STROLLED! ... through the Bernabeu last night. Guess what, if you do that you are going to put your defenders in some pretty fuucked up situations.

This is one of the worst versions of Barcelona in recent years and their midfield barely broke a sweat yesterday.

17. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Then there is the red card incident. It's no wonder he has never changed. If his environment and supporting cast are gassing him up telling him "it wasn't your fault bro, it's everyone else fault!".... he won't ever change.

On one hand Sergio complains saying the officials never favor us and it is predictable they will treat us poorly. On the other hand he goes out there and nicks Neymar's leg like Neymar's diving ass won't sell it hard, he won't get red carded and we won't have to play with 10 after Messi takes the penalty.

Even if Diego didn't stop it (Diego looked in good position btw), it would have left us tied 3-3 and we KNEW we were stronger. He does that stupid gamble which 9 times out of 10 will get called then we are most likely still tied 3-3, BUT know we're down to 10 and much weaker.

Be smart man. Be fuucking smart. If you say you know they're working against you, be smarter.

zohee, Madrid_1902 and janos audron repped this.
  18. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Breh, this is not the Cristiano thread. This is the Ramos thread. In the game thread I have heavily criticized Cristiano.

You are now attempting to change the discussion to avoid placing blame on one player by point blame at another. I have criticized both players. Why don't you join me?

19. demo_g

demo_g Member+

Jan 13, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree with Alma here. The ''red card'' incident was hardly only his fault. Our midfield did nothing to stop Messi and Marcelo should have know better than to make Neymar onside.

Ramos is a decent player, but we need to invest in a world class CB this summer to partner him with Varane. It's simple as that.

Well, he was bad yesterday, what more do you want me to say :D? I also want us to do something radical about our defence in the summer, no matter how painful it might be.

20. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    I have no problem saying that our CB pairing should start with Varane as the first name on the team sheet - none at all.

Our midfield just makes me very, very uneasy - much more so than our back line.

zohee and mymy33 repped this.
  21. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Why did he receive red card if its not his fault? YS has a point in which Ramos should react better because Neymar was going far left and would have to shoot with his "bad leg" + Lopez did a great job by closing the goal. Besides this is not the first time that Ramos did a bad judgement call and its not even second or third...

22. demo_g

demo_g Member+

Jan 13, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We all agree Ramos should react better but what lead to Neymar's break away was a combination of a poor midfield play and Marcelo fcking up offside trap.

23. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Again, Breh no where in any of my posts have I said things were only Sergio Ramos fault. In fact I have many times pointed out other players I have put blame on.

Come to the dark side.

I don't think we need to do anything radical. We need Sergio to be smarter. He and Varane is our future. At most get the Inigo kid from Sociedad who will inherit the position after Ramos slows down.

24. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Oh I agree with you, but Ramos should keep on mind that this is Neymar and he will try to sell it, if there's contact ( or isn't for that matter). Now even with us leaving their midfield to stroll we were up by a goal. Only after he was sent off they took over the match, atleast from my point of view.

I agree with you, but it always the same players in these types of situations, year in and year out. Even when most of our team was playing superb there's always one of Pepe or Ramos with a bonehead move. Now I don't really blame Ramos(or any player or coach), even if I was furious after the game, but his red card was decisive.

25. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think both sides of the argument here. We couldn't cope with Messi dropping deep all night and he killed us, but Ramos should have known better to put his hand across Neymar. He was going away from goal on his weaker side so make him put it in the net. Given how poor he was I'm inclined to think he would have bottled that chance but of course that's easy of me to say now.