The All Purpose Other Teams Thread - Pt. III (R)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by RiverGaucho, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    The state of the pitch in la plata is shocking. Brazil were painfull to watch.

2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brasil has a terrible coach. I don't get how he thought Robinho, Neymar, and Pato would work.

I know he was hurt but Luis Fabiano should have been called. Robinho afuera por favor!!!!! Neymar=crack... but he needs help

God this Copa America sucks so far

3. bayernfan86

bayernfan86 Member

May 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wow, this tournament is not off to a good start, at all. Good news is that it is just 4 matches in, so hopefully teams will open up a bit in their second game. I thought the Paraguay-Ecuador game was alright. Just couldn't put the chances away. But Brazil was shockingly bad. Their incompetence in final third of the pitch was disappointing.

4. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great organization from the AFA. No anthems and the pitch is terrible.

Not exactly a great advert for 2030. The stadium is very nice though.

The Venuzuelan coach did a great job in pressing the Brazilian midfield in the second half realizing where the team was losing out. Batista would have probably told them to drop off.....

5. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The problem with the pitch in La Plata has been going on for a while, strangely in the other places there haven't been issues with the pitch when the one in La Plata is the most advanced, it can be taken outside the stadium and all. The problem with the anthems was because the teams came out too late(Some journalists have complained how the kick-off times and the half-time aren't respected as it's in argentine football, Marcelo Araujo specifically blamed Traffic for this, no idea what they have to do with it though, but it's true that while there are harsh measures with the half-time in the argentine league for Brazil-Venezuela they took up to 20 minutes).

6. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    watcing the Uruguay games...I dont think there are easy games in this tournament. the teams are tactically sound.

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The competition is pretty fierce so far, I would rather have games like this then have a 7-0 victory like the US vs the Atlantis Hotel of the Bahamas like they did in the Gold Cup. Granted, couple of the games so far have been boring and I have been put to sleep from a couple but the underdogs from nearly all the games have done fairly well.

8. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Early days but the "lesser" teams seem to have grasped the concept of defending deep, compact, disciplined and as a unit.

Eliminatorias are going to be thougher then ever if this tournament will be anything to go by.

9. msi2

msi2 Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE
    Agreed... Especially in our case the contrary is happening.
    Actually, we're lucky this time Brazil isn't participating to the qualifyers.

10. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's not Brazil that's ever been the problem. It's the Ecuador - paraguay - Bolivia - venezia as that are the ones that we need to worry about.

If you lose to brazil but beat everyone else then you come out in first place. Just ask passarella.

11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Watching a bit of the U17 semi final right now. Uruguay beat Brazil 3-0 today to reach the final. Looks like it will be Turkey U17(I mean Germany U17, it seems all their players are Turks) may go through taking out the Mexicans. The Turks(Again, sorry the Germans) have actually a bit of flair for once. They are not as robotic as their senior team.

Mexico comes back to win it.

12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Uruguay continue their impressive performances at youth level again. They are really progressing nicely.

Costa Rica beat Bolivia so that really puts the pathetic performance into context.

13. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I don't think the German seniors have been robotic the last two WC cycles. In fact I think this current German team led by the Turk has a lot of upside and could really become one of the best German squads, especially when you have another solid generation (yep of Turks) coming in.

14. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not only turks, didn't they have a couple of nigerians and wasn't Odonkor a brazilian? Plus Podolski who's polish.

Not impressed by Brazil at all, for all the hype their fullbacks get, Brazil doesn't really use the wings that much nor effectively... Venezuela leads that group now. TAKE THAT!

15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Odonkor was born in Germany to a German mother and his father was from Ghana.

Podolski comes from the a place in Poland that has a heavy German population. His parents came to Germany as "Aussiedler", or "Right of Return" to Germany based on their German backround.

16. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ah, thanks for clearing up and what was the deal with Klose and Ballack? Were their grandparents were the polish ones or was it something similar to Podolski's situation?

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Andrés, you missed a good show yesterday, few Germs flooded into this forum when I said majority of their players coming from mixed nationalities. It was going to go back and forth till I said aright, enough with this.

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klose's mother was Polish and he was born in Poland. His father was German.

Ballack was born in what was then, East Germany. Both his parents are German.

I'd hardly call it a "good show". It was just you primarily not knowing what you were talking about and a couple other posters correcting you misinformation. Nothing more, nothing less. ;)

19. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Does not change the fact that they are really Germans is it? Your culture that you are brought up is what defies what you, it's not always where you are born. Ozil kept his Turkish roots even after all this time, still speaks Turkish, sure he is a Muslim and looks Turkish. I have cousins born in the US, ask them what they are, they will not say American, they will tell you that they are Argentine.

Germany is now just really opening its doors, as I said, look at the WC cycles from 98 and prior. Maybe in 40-50 years it will be looked differently because Germany was hardly a country of immigrants. Some of our players players came from Italian immigrants in the early days of the WC and even played for both sides at one time. But slowly time changed that, and I am sure it will do the same for those that say Germany is a team filled with teams with mixed cultures.

So lets leave it at that, and not drag this out any longer.

20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Really Germans"? Lol - now you are reaching. German law says they are German...that is enough for me.

I have no problem with that. My parents not only come from different countries but different continents as well. I embrace multicultural backrounds.

In the end, they are German on the pitch and in the eyes of international law. If they choose to practice and embrace other cultures as well because they feel it through their veins, great - good for them.

21. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    SupaMario - it is because I believe until relatively recently, even German born people of foreign origin were not considered "Germans", so that is why you didn't see them in earlier German teams.

These days Germany is supposed to be "multicultural" though. At the same time, most of these players were either born in Germany or developed in Germany after immigrating there at a young age.

22. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Che chamigo I'm sorry but you are not fully right here, even "our" guys come from mixed backgrounds. Heinze, Higuain just to name two, Bilos was a Croat , no? The world is getting ever increasingly small, Germany has had since the late 60's a huge influx of immigration and even more so through the 70's, 80's, and even 90's I don't fault their national team set-up and can't even compare it to that wich Italy did in the thirties. Many of these players in Germany yes may have a differing heritage , but are proud Germans now and did not get "scouted" like our boys did in the 30's to play for another nation.

23. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Was there not a Turk in the German team through the 90's that played as a attacking midfielder?? I forget his name, but he was pretty good...., help ??:confused:

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are you thinking of Mehmet Scholl?

[​IMG]

Born in Karlsruhe to a German mother and Turkish father as Mehmet Yüksel. His parents divorced and his mother married a German. Mehmet took his last name; hence the German surname of Scholl when he was 4 or 5.

25. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bingo !! Thank you, wish I could rep you again but alas I can't so please accept this thanks .

1 person likes this.