The All-Purpose (Lovefest Inducing) Mesut Oezil Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by mymy33, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    You do so at your own peril then, it's like they say, "better to live in the corner of a roof...."

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :confused::eek::D

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    his time at madrid has undoubtedly been more positive than negative, not hot and cold as you say. you seem to have a more personal problem with him. Also Sami if i remember correctly. are you generally so ambivalent towards new players or just the two germans?

4. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Ozil has been more superb than subpar so far, and deserves all the praise he is getting. He is delivering what we paid obscene amount for Kaka to do but never did.

As for Khedira; He has been solid in terms play. He and Xabi Alonso cliked instantly and are the reason we are dominating midfields. He plays in a unglamorous and ungrateful position so therefor will never receive the recognition that he deserves, but is an important player.

5. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    German influence was positive against Malaga :)

Wish that thunderbolt from Khedz went in

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Quite right. [​IMG]

7. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Lol, I don't have a personal problem with Oezil. And while his time might have been more positive than negative there have been games where he has been mediocre or invisible. And I know there were certain circumstances that have contributed to those "lesser" performances, the biggest of all him just needing time to adapt to a new league and team but they have been there. He provided a spark off the bench against Mallorca and then followed that up with a brilliant, complete performance against Osauna and a solid outing against Ajax. He was okay against Sociedad and then nothing to write home about against Espanyol and Levante. But then he picked it up a little against Auxerre, had a lovely game against Depor and then followed that up with another lovely game yesterday. To me that's not ambivalence towards the player or a personal dislike but just an observation he's been hot and cold.

For the record I have never spoke out against his quality and potential as a player. I though his signing was unnecessary but when he came I welcomed him like I do with all RM players.

8. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    The guys on Gol TV were calling him "El Mago de Oz" (the Wizard of Oz). I like it! He is a joy to watch.

Is it me or does it look like his personality is starting to show a bit more? He seems a bit more confident; like he knows he 'belongs' on this squad.

ps. el Mago de Oz is also a Spanish band, but I am pretty sure the two dudes on Gol TV were not referring to them ;)

9. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    I thought his performance yesterday was better than the one against Osasuna and I think part of that was him being more confident like you say. I'm not sure if trust is the right word but his teammates, especially Ronaldo and Higuain, look to be developing a better understanding with him on the pitch. There was some really pretty and intricate buildup in the game yesterday of which Oezil was at the center. More of that please.

10. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twYbJB4qKEI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Mesut Özil vs Malaga Away by CR10[/ame]

11. Zullu

Zullu Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM2ci41pIU4&feature=player_embedded#"]YouTube - Mesut Özil bei Oliver Pocher SAT 1 / Pocher verarscht Mesut Özil.[/ame]!

12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Pocher is probably the most annoying German comedian along with Mario Barth. They were both funny at some point though, back when Ingo Appelt was all the rage at the comedy club. :D

13. Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Berlin
    I actually loved his Oli Kahn and Poldi performances. :D

14. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    :D:D

Good game from him, I think his passing was superb for about 70 minutes, lol that he was subbed out directly after he played 2 bad passes in a row. :D

I agree with some of compare him with playmakers of Zidane / Riquelme, when it comes to the way he can hold the ball even with two, three opponent on his feet AND the ball is superb.

15. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what's great about him is that he can contribute tremendously even when he's not having a perfect match simply because of his intelligence. He will always provide moments as long as he is on the pitch. For players like Higuain and Ronaldo, he must be an absolute godsend.

Is he the perfect modern playmaker? Not exactly a midfielder, not exactly an attacker, but pulling the strings all around, controlling the tempo, playing both flanks. He only needs to improve his finishing.

16. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I wish he would see more of the ball. Our outlet pass from the midfield is almost always to Ronnie, which isn't a bad thing if he were to pass more but he just runs and takes shots until he gets his goal and then he starts passing a bit. Ozil would create more chances and have more impact on the game if he had the ball a bit more.

17. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    You can all thank me later for reopening this thread.

Oezil was lovely tonight. When he is on he is nice to watch, so damn silky. That front four is really beginning to develop a lovely understanding of one another and they're only going to get better as the season goes on.

18. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Yes, Sir !

I'd even say that this is what makes Ozil unique, and puts him above all other young players.

Most of today's player's are more or less useless if they are 'not on fire' (Rooney-type), but Ozil, I feel, is rare material and reminds me of those cracks some years ago,....you know players who are going to play on a high level not only for some games but for some seasons.

19. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well i wouldnt use Rooney as an example as I think he falls in the Oezil category too (remember the years when Ronnie was on fire, he was the real heartbeat of the side - not that he's like that this season) but i definitely get your point and i agree with the rest.

it must also be quite fantastic for Msut to have such skilled players as Di Maria, Ronaldo, and Higuain around to combine with. A definite upgrade on Fritz if you ask me. ;)

20. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Something that Mourinho should iron out over time.

21. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Okay, different opinions here. I think the English man is maybe lacking the brain (not on pitch!) which is making the difference between him and Ozil.

22. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pfft. That may be true, but him, Marin, Hunt and Pizarro combining the crap out of Bundesliga defences last season wasn't too shabby either.

Glad he is doing well, hope and actually expect him to do the next step in Madrid.

23. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Wow, I had no idea that Ozil was in the famous mine to support Mario Gomez there, :eek::D
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXuOdyOpc0"]YouTube - Mesut Özil (Oliver Pocher) aus Grube in Chile gerettet (15.10.2010 HD)[/ame]

24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I like how all clips have two premises, his bad German, and his dull personality. :D

Good thing that neither matters for us.

25. toslat

toslat New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think CR being our favored outlet option is because he is our best player at running at defence on the counter, and when he has the ball, opposition will often overload their defence in his direction, creating more space for other players (problem is now getting CR to release the ball to others quickly if at all). Oezil is more suited to the delibrate build up.