The all-purpose Alex thread

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Suss, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I understand that it's your opinion, but it has nothing to back it up. Going from "They didn't call up someone who everyone ELSE wanted called up" to "They insulted him by giving the player who replaced him the same number" is absurd, especially when that player had a 50% chance of getting the number 20 and there is no indication that the numbers of the reserves were chosen for any special reason. Yeah, Zagallo is superstitious. But I see no sign of that influencing the numbers. Do you?

2. wingfromhk

wingfromhk Member

Apr 21, 2006
    what are those 'behaviors/actions'?

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As far as I can tell they are simply not calling up Alex recently.

4. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There are a number of factors. Things that have been said and not said, as done and not done....

Take for instance, the fact that Alex talked to Parreira before going to Turkey and asked if playing there would hurt his chances of being called up. Parreira not only said that they wouldn't, but counseled him to go to play there. Parreira actually managed Fenerbahçe at one point... surely he has contacts there, and surely he knows how Alex has lit up the various championships in which he has participated. Yet, no callup.

Ricardinho isn't exactly lighting up anything ATM, yet Parreira moves heaven and earth (and conceives of a million excuses) for him to be there... Alex doesn't get one one hundreth of the goodwill, despite being a much better player. When Alex has a quiet day, he is subbed and dropped as a starter. When Ricardinho has an off day, no consequences.

I think that Parreira merely tolerated him when everyone in the country was demanding his presence... and now that he is playing in a league that doesn't get as much publicity, he can safely ignore him (despite a majority still favoring Alex over Ricardo).

5. Pedro_Fut

Pedro_Fut New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    I think both of you are right. Parreira does not like Alex and just tolareted him when he was the best player in Brasilian league. But I think it is not personal. For Parreira Alex does not fit his play plan. Simple as that. Someone comment it here that Alex start to lose his place in the game against Colombia. This was the first game of WCQ, Alex was in his prime, the best player in Brasilian league. And Parreira choose to sub him of all players! And Kaka scored as soon as he got his first touch. After that Alex was no more a starter. If Parreira really liked Alex game (don't need to be as much as redshift!) he would insist with him, try him with Ronaldinho Gaucho, show some confidence in him. But Alex and his type of game is not in Parreira's mind.

I have never liked Parreira that much, so I am not as disapointed with him as Redshift.

6. Pedro_Fut

Pedro_Fut New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    That is a very bad post. You have only two excuses:
    1- You are a Corinthiano :D
    2- You are upset with Parreira :mad: .

I was not in Brasil when Alex was in Palmeiras. But he is not a very big idol for Palmeiras. I really think he is a craque and that he deserve to be in seleção, but he is not a Palmeiras idol. He is not Ademir. Not even Evair. He does not deserve to be in Seleção for his Palmeiras years alone. I find curious that you don't think your fellow Corinthianos are ungratefull with Ricardinho. After all, Ricardinho won a lot with Corinthians! At least Palmeirenses did not ask for Parreira to not call Alex! I am sure that if Alex was playing for Palmeiras no one would have banners against him :) .

7. wingfromhk

wingfromhk Member

Apr 21, 2006
    I still remember when Alex came on against Turkey in the 2003 Confederations Cup, his combination with Rondaldinho Gaucho was sensational. Turkey had six or seven men at the edge of the area, they just teared their defence with ease, resulting in a good goal by Alex.

I am now thinking what Parreira will do if Kaka or Ronalidinho Gaucho is suspended or suffers an injury during the World Cup, there's no player on the bench who can really play at their positions. Both Juninho and Ricardinho, to me, are better if they play a more 'withdrawn' role.

8. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The difference is that Ricardinho's form is attrocious and Alex's is sensational. Like I have said on many an occasion, Ricardinho was very good for us in 2002. He was pretty important before as well, but his antics forced one of the biggest idols in Corinthians history (Marcelinho) off of the team. He's not a bad player, but like it says in my signature: Alex can do more with his left leg tied.

To regard Alex as better than Ricardinho is simply to be realistic.

Alex wasn't playing at the level he has been playing in the last 3 years while at Palmeiras, but he was pivotal in winning several titles that had never been won before (particularly the Libertadores)... he hasn't forgotten Palmeiras (he follows the games regularly) and so I think it is a shame that by and large you lot (assuming you are Palmeirense) are so ungrateful.

You can't compare Ademir, who spent 16 years at the club, to Alex who spent only 3 or 4 (I believe) but thus is the reality of Brasilian football.

9. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Balanço da temporada Por Alex
    16/05/2006 às 11H11

Amigos, terminou neste final de semana minha segunda temporada no futebol turco. Infelizmente deixamos escapar o tricampeonato da Superliga na última rodada, quando só dependíamos de nós – se vencêssemos o Denizlispor fora de casa seríamos campeões, mas empatamos e perdemos o título. Mas na verdade, um campeonato de 34 rodadas não se perde em um só jogo. Cometemos alguns erros durante o campeonato que acabaram por nos custar o título no final.

Mas apesar de não termos sido campeões em nenhum torneio – fomos vice também na Copa da Turquia – a temporada não foi ruim. Nossa equipe teve o melhor ataque da Superliga (90 gols marcados) e a melhor defesa (34 gols sofridos). Mais uma vez tive uma boa participação no time e fui o artilheiro da equipe na Superliga com 15 gols. Além disso, também dei 24 assistências na competição. No total, em dois anos de Fenerbahçe, já somei 98 jogos, com 63 vitórias, 54 gols marcados e 57 assistências, números que me deixam bastante feliz.

Agora temos que deixar a temporada 2005-2006 para trás e nos concentrar na próxima temporada, que será a mais importante da história do Fenerbahçe, pois será a temporada do centenário do clube. Temos que entrar com força total e concentrar nossas forças em fazer um bom papel nas três competições que disputaremos – Superliga Turca, Copa da Turquia e UEFA Champions League. Vamos em busca dos títulos! A nossa torcida merece!

E falando na torcida do Fenerbahçe, no último domingo aconteceu um fato que mexeu comigo. Quando eu acho que já vi de tudo, essa torcida maravilhosa mais uma vez me surpreende com suas demonstrações de carinho. Depois do jogo contra o Denizlispor, entrei no ônibus do time amador do Fenerbahçe para pegar uma carona de volta para casa – moro perto do centro de treinamento da garotada e seria mais prático para mim voltar com eles. Estava lá sentado, triste por termos perdido o título, quando vejo a torcida cercar o ônibus e começar a invadir o veículo. Na hora fiquei preocupado, pois imaginei que os torcedores estariam irritados pela perda do título, mas eles vieram até mim, me abraçaram, me levantaram, diziam que estavam comigo e pediram para eu continuar no clube. Fiquei muito emocionado e feliz com mais essa demonstração de carinho da torcida. Isso só me dá ainda mais certeza de que fiz a escolha certa vindo para o Fener e me motiva ainda mais a tentar fazer uma temporada inesquecível no ano do centenário do clube. Torcida do Fenerbahçe: muito obrigado!

Seleção Brasileira

Ontem foi divulgada a lista dos 23 convocados para a Copa do Mundo da Alemanha e mais uma vez não tive o privilégio de ser chamado. Não será desta vez que realizarei meu sonho de jogar uma Copa do Mundo e não sei se terei outra oportunidade. Coisas do futebol... Fico triste porque sei que tenho capacidade para estar no grupo de jogadores, mas respeito a decisão do treinador e torço muito para que eles tenham sucesso na Alemanha. Afinal, além de ter muitos amigos no grupo, também sou brasileiro e quero ver nossa Seleção erguendo mais uma taça. Boa sorte, Brasil!

10. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Like I said... Dida, Gilberto Silva, R10, R9, Cafu (and Juan), nationalism (and hatred towards certain rivals) and the "alegria do povo" are the only things that keep me supporting Brasil right now...

11. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Now Parreira claims that Ricardinho is Ronaldinho's substitute.

All I can say is lol.

He does this, he gives the number 20 to Ricardo, and he wont even mention Alex's name... this is totally personal. I wish I could prove it conclusively.

I respect Parreira less and less with each passing second.

12. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We should start a new campaign... draft Materazzi to play for Lucerne and New Zealand.

We should rest Gaúcho, and "test" his imediate substitute.

13. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Redshift, I'm pretty destroyed about the fact that Alex has missed out on what was most likely his last chance of participating in a World Cup. I don't know if you are speaking mostly out of disgust and disappointment, but perhaps you're going too far? No matter what happens, we all should always be 100% behind Brasil because first and foremost it is our country. It is a shame Alex won't be on the squad, but life goes on and the objective is now the Hexa.

The only reason I say this is because it sounds like you're love or support for the seleção has diminished considerably because of this Alex situation.

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Conspiracy theory much?

Ricardinho has always been Ronaldinho's sub. Doesn't mean he's better than Alex or the same kind of player in Parreira's mind. Really, we all knew that already.

15. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I will always support Brasil 100% in the sense that I will not be supporting any other team. I can't. The tought of it is inconceivable to me.... I'd reflexively support the selecão even if they took the current Palmeiras team and dressed them up in yellow jerseys. It would be painful, to be sure, but it would be the seleção after all.

What has definately decreased is the intensity of the support... maybe I will come around when I see them on the field, but ATM, I feel like the air has been sucked out of my lungs. I haven't lost confidence in Parreira's ability to manage, but my respect for him is greatly diminished.

16. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's been said that Ricardinho was there to perform a different tactical function... in theory, one that Alex couldn't. For Parreira to now say that he is there as a direct substitute for Gaúcho is inexcusable. Ricardinho is only fit to substitute Gaúcho as a placeholder in line to board the plane so he doesn't lose his place.

If, as it now seems to appear, that Parreira took Ricardo because he prefered him to Alex as a sub to MAINTAIN the current formation, Parreira is blind. There is no question about it... and then, I have to start to question not just how much I respected him, but his managing ability.

17. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Time to give it - Alex in the Copa - up?

18. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We aren't campaining any more... just airing gripes. (And not so secretly hoping Materazzi will consider playing for New Zealand or that Ricardo decides he was born to be a goalkeeper)

19. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ombak,

I made other coments regarding why I think it's a personal issue... I don't know if you've seen them.

20. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Hey Redshift, I have the ALEX Esporte Espetacular interview...do you need it or can I go ahead and delete it from my Tivo? If you want it I can capture it.

21. Pedro_Fut

Pedro_Fut New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Redshift, I understand your reasons. I qualify your post as bad because it is poor writen, you show no respect to the Plameiras fans, you use bad vocabulary. You don´t need to explain me that Ricardinho is not as good as Alex. Or why Corintianos does not like him. Read your post again and you will know why I think it was a bad post.

I am sure that most Palmeirenses really like Alex, however you are pushing this too far. You are qualifying people as good or bad depending on their appreciation of Alex (fortunately you think I am a good guy, based on this criteria!).

22. Pedro_Fut

Pedro_Fut New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    I really think Parreira is mistaken here. Against Chile Robinho was Ronaldinho Gaucho sub and was pretty good. If he would like to maintain the quartet formation it is obviuosly that Ricardinho is not Ronaldinho sub. Ronaldinho is much more an attacking player and so is Robinho.

23. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fair enough, I can respect that. I never did or would ask anyone to simply have an opinion of what I did other than the one that came naturally to them.

Let me clarify a few things, however:

When I say, for instance, that I will have to take several showers to clean off the filth from having had to register for various Palmeras forums, I am obviously speaking figuratively as well as engaged in absurdist hyperbole. I could easily have stated that I didn't want to go there but did anyway, but I don't think that would have driven home the point or expressed the outrage quite as forcefully.

As for disrespecting Palmeiras fans (again, I qualified this by excluding some) that was fully my intent. Their behaviour, in my mind, justified everything I said and more.... I was being charitable, actually, because I don't think this is the proper venue for my invective (particularly since no one here had anything to do with what I was talking about).

With regard to the "obscene" language, I was simply reposting what I encountered. In any event, I think that we are adults here and are mature enough to deal with it. It was not my desire to purposefully offend anyone with that, but I would suggest that if one gets offended upon encountering a single curse word in the context of a direct quote, one is being a bit unrealistic as to the realities of the internet (or any other venue for public dialogue).

No I'm not. I am classifying a group of people as ungrateful. I think they are... that doesn't mean that they are bad. I may not approve of their actions, but I am not the supreme arbiter of truth or proper behaviour. I do, however, reserve me right to call these people whatever I will, and that is precisely what I did. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

24. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Robinho would be a better sub for Ronaldinho then Ricardinho... of that there is no doubt, but better than either would be Alex. And even better would be Alex and Ronaldinho working together.

25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    How exactly would Ronaldinho and Alex work together? I dont see either player getting on the end of eithers brillant passes. I dont see either making a run to take that extra marker away. Help me out here. ;)