The Adventures in Policing Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MasterShake29, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.statesman.com/news/news/...olice-officer-filmed-pushing-tripping-/nfd25/

Georgetown Police Department has placed Officer George Bermudez on paid administrative leave after video surfaced this weekend showing him tripping and pushing students who were rushing onto a field after a soccer game.
    Bermudez’s actions were not appropriate measures for a crowd control situation, said agency spokesman Roland Waits. He said the matter has been referred to the internal affairs unit of the Georgetown Police Department.
    Bermudez was chosen as an outstanding police officer for the Georgetown Police Department last year, Waits said. He said Bermudez has been with the department since 2005 as a school resource officer at Georgetown High School, where the soccer game was held Saturday.
    Bermudez has no history of reprimands or disciplinary action, Waits said.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm sure most students that "tripped" were Barça fans.

4. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Umar repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Naranja and NickyViola repped this.
  7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For lack of a better thread, I'm going to post this here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/29/oklahoma-clayton-lockett-execution_n_5236297.html

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go ahead and start a crime and punishment thread...but those pesky Mods have already cautioned me on starting new threads.

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm sure they have their reasons!

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Umar repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since I was yellow-carded once, that lesson was more than enough for me...lol

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Yellow card for starting too many threads?
    Only sanction I received, was for calling ************* a XXXXXXXXXXX! ;)

14. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Just yesterday I saw a in which it was supported that +-4% of death row inmates are not guilty. Now today, this. It seems clear that these creatures are deserving the full penalty of law but its difficult to trust anything so irreversible as this to such an incompetent system. Consider the resources allocated to executing these types and they still cant get it right. In light of the catastrophic failure of their carefully constructed apparatus and their case-winning arguments to veil them one wonders if its better to just throw out capital punishment and define something else as the full penalty of law.

Particularly galling is this quote:

Attorney General Scott Pruitt applauded the decision, saying the state had a longstanding precedent of keeping the drug sources secret to avoid "schemes and intimidation used by defense counsel and other anti-death-penalty groups."

"schemes and intimidations" What he means is that if he has to divulge his methodology someone might excersize their lawful privledge to contradict him. What that really means is that refusing to say is an argument winner. This fiasco is a result of their super-secret killing machine and these individual public employees own it.

dapip repped this.
  15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    France isn't using their guillotine.

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Fair Point. I was looking more around jail and punishment tough.

1. I also wanted to discuss how some studies indicate that death row immates are inocent in at least 5% of cases. Does not seem like much, but one of every 20 executions could be unfair.
    2. I don't support the death penalty, only for extreme cases and some states are trigger happy with it.
    3. Do you want him to come back to haunt us 4,000 years from now?

[​IMG]

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Us? I have no plans to be around that long. Frankly, surprised I made the millennium.

dapip repped this.
  18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I have seen quite a bit of discussion online that refers back to the original crime. I do get that. A failed execution is about the only thing that could generate the amount of sympathy that's now been given to this man. Still, anyone who has any respect at all for the rule of law and the Constitution will have a big problem with these events. The people involved should resign or be pushed out of public office. Frankly, I'm already embarrassed for any attorney that doesn't have serious reservations about the death penalty, they're akin to doctors who are anti-vaxers. It calls into question their general competence.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm embarrassed that you would attempt to make such a false analogy.

20. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I understand being glib, and I also understand thinking the death penalty isn't a serious issue. I get that there are some cases that the punishment does seem to fit the crime. That said, it's still an objectively bad policy, and anyone who has studied law even in a rudimentary sense should understand that. So the analogy is in denying something that objectively true. It might not be something that matters in any given attorney's practice (I know it wouldn't in mine), but I've gotta doubt anyone ostensibly should understand these things and doesn't.

21. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You would be completely wrong. Not that it matters.

22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait -- your rejoinder to his post is basically "nuh-uh"?

23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Better than "your mama".
    Should I respond with a personal attack, or insult his professional knowledge or experience?
    Does this thread need to be jacked further? Perhaps neg rep should be restored.

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I suppose instead of simply saying "You would be completely wrong," you could elaborate on why he's wrong.